Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 speaker vs 4 speaker

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:02 AM
Thatdude596
Banned
Received 110 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 2 speaker vs 4 speaker

Sitting here this am and thinking would a great 2 speaker setup be better or as good and less costs and things to go wrong than a 4 Speaker setup.

Say in fairing the beyma carbons or euphoria experts play just as loud as say a run of the mill fairing setup w lids. Run of the mill I mean gz hertz or diamonds

Would be less things to go wrong and a much simplify setup and cheaper if so

Old 03-14-2021, 08:50 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

If you buy a big enough amp what can go wrong if you add a second set of speakers. That’s all that would be extra rear speakers and some speaker wire. No matter what speakers you put in your fairing they only get so loud. More volume comes from additional speakers.

The following 2 users liked this post by FrenchieM:
BigDogIdaho (03-14-2021), Thatdude596 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:11 PM
Thatdude596
Banned
Received 110 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks frenchie I guess I will bite the bullet and grab some 8sn lids

Old 03-15-2021, 10:03 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Have you considered adding lowers? Bigger bang for your buck adding speakers to lowers than adding lids.Lids are an improvement, but not as big of an improvement as I had hoped. Barely noticeable out on the highway above 70 mph.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:17 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

I'm far from an audiophile, I'm not even on the same page as a novice, which is why I had my system done. But I'm here to dam well guarantee you're going hear the new GZ Yellow Baskets, I have 2 in a fairing with an SD800.4 EVOX. I had a lot of help from Adenton528 (builder) and SBates, thanks to these 2 guys I have an incredible sounding system, far better the PnP gear Reckless wanted to sell me.
Took the bike home Saturday, fullface helmet, and I could still hear them, loud and clear.

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
If you buy a big enough amp what can go wrong if you add a second set of speakers. That’s all that would be extra rear speakers and some speaker wire. No matter what speakers you put in your fairing they only get so loud. More volume comes from additional speakers.

The following users liked this post:
Timskidoo (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:30 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Thatdude596
Sitting here this am and thinking would a great 2 speaker setup be better or as good and less costs and things to go wrong than a 4 Speaker setup.

Say in fairing the beyma carbons or euphoria experts play just as loud as say a run of the mill fairing setup w lids. Run of the mill I mean gz hertz or diamonds

Would be less things to go wrong and a much simplify setup and cheaper if so
If you want to add speakers that your going to hear, I would recommend lowers before lids.
Get an amp that will power all four, and if you only run 2 for a while, you will be ready in that aspect when you decide to add 2 more

Old 03-15-2021, 12:44 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Thatdude what bike do you have? If it is a wethead then yeah maybe lids might be a good way to go. If not adding lowers is usually pretty simple to do. A good stout four channel amp will give you lots of sound in front of you where it won't fade as much as lids would if they don't have enough juice.

Don't get me wrong lids are great but you really have to push them hard in order for them to be heard good at speed.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Nytar
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

order of speaker additions/changes, fairing, lowers, tour pack, saddlebags.

you will obviously get a lot of your sound from the fairing speakers, the lowers are angled in a way to point towards you.

tour pack speakers are typically "for the other half" they will hear the front speakers but get a little lost sound back from the tour pack speaker pods. but if you are one up all the time or even most of the time. the tour pack and saddle bag speakers get washed out to much going down the road.

if you do set in fairing and set in saddle bags you are only gonna get maybe 10% of your sound from the saddlebag speakers IF your not running loud pipes or you will be looking at even less from the rears. if you dont have loud pips and strictly ride lower speeds (less than 35 mph) then the rears will be better, but will never pass the fronts.

if you have speakers in all 4 spots you are STILL 40-45% fairing speaker, 40-45% from lowers then the 7-10% from tour pack 5-8% from saddle bags (this is riding down the road one up). on my ultra I figured a lot of this out as it had 3 sets, and have ridden on bikes with them in saddle bags. a lot of times if something goes wrong with the ones in the saddle bags the rider wont even notice for days.

now for brands vs number... I would say GZ, Hertz, and Diamond are far from "run of the mill". they are more like the half step back from the top of the tops. but also depends on the model of speakers. Beyma have some GREAT speakers, but they are not all great by default by brand. dollar for dollar I'll lean to the GZCF 6.5SPL or the GZCC 165.2SQL, db Moto G2, or some of the Diamond stuff, the ORIGINAL ARC 6.5 speakers are really good too, their remodel versions... not so much.

if you have money to burn, Beyma tweeters, GZ pro comp series Mid subs, Soundigital or RF amps (SD more wattage dollar for dollar, RF a bit better options for adjusting the amps) but if you are that far, redo the HU to the Sony AVAX 7000 for fine tuning adjustability.

this is what Ive learned running around the last few weeks 100s of miles and listening to well over 100 speaker/amp combos on walls and those in bikes.

OH!!!! if you have crazy money... the people are complete A-holes but you can have them hand build the system. they piece together each piece matching resistors to speakers and every part will be custom, even the touch screen in the tour pack to adjust everything pumping 12 speaker placements... it was like a concert on 2 wheels. but they gave me sticker shock when they said $25,000. they have to rebuild your charging system too. but if you wanna go that nuts, send me a message and I will give you their info. but I wouldnt wanna deal with them on anything smaller (complete elitist jerks)

The following users liked this post:
cableguy7020 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:36 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

the tour pack and saddle bag speakers get washed out to much going down the road.
Not if they are powered and tuned properly. It is up to the individual how much sound they want from the rears. Gotta pay to play so to speak.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:54 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Nytar

if you have money to burn, Beyma tweeters, GZ pro comp series Mid subs, Soundigital or RF amps (SD more wattage dollar for dollar, RF a bit better options for adjusting the amps) but if you are that far, redo the HU to the Sony AVAX 7000 for fine tuning adjustability.
You group SD and RF amps together? Not even close IMO in wattage OR adjusting.

Quick Reply: 2 speaker vs 4 speaker