Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for communication options

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I got one of these to play with last week:
Fodsports BT-S2 1000M Motorcycle Helmet Intercom Bluetooth Headset + Hard Mic FM

The mounting system is pretty solid for such a cheap unit. When I listened to music through my phone I was able to use it's graphic EQ to get it to sound pretty good. I figure if you just want two users communicating this would be a cheap way to see if you like it. I haven't tried the unit to unit intercom function yet but I called my wife on the phone and she said it was loud and clear.

The thing that I guess we have to decide on is do we want to pay for the mesh technology (the ability to connect freely with other users who have other brands of headsets). In my limited understanding that seems to put the price up there around $200 per unit for that technology.

If anyone knows that I am misunderstanding this please chime in. I'm just learning with the communicator stuff too.

Also Ragman given your last post I wonder if those Motorola walkie talkies with a single earbud mic might be a good way for y'all to go. Dang near unlimited range and it only transmits when you hit the button which would be nice for privacy.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 AM
RagmanZL
Tourer
Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1

Also Ragman given your last post I wonder if those Motorola walkie talkies with a single earbud mic might be a good way for y'all to go. Dang near unlimited range and it only transmits when you hit the button which would be nice for privacy.
Thinking more and more about going this route. Found this and wonder if there would be a way to get and extended cable and clip this to my vest - closer to my face.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-FREEDOM...0AAOSw~OVWu76N

Mine has CB option and I think I may end up speaking with a different friend who has a 2001 Ultra classic with CB. Would rather not hold a MIC - but using the PTT option with a mic like this would be right what Im looking for. SO long as it works.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:05 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Cardio seems to be very popular here. I just recently went through this exercise myself, and through independent research decided the Sena 50S fit our needs better. For anyone looking to get a setup you should likely take a look at the current Sena lineup also.

I got our two-pack, and two additional mount kits, and did the installs on my own on two modular full face helmets and two HD 3/4 helmets... pretty simple installation - no need to send them anywhere.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:30 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

From what I understand, MESH is unique to each Mfr. I will mention that MESH really improves the performance greatly over the standard BT connection. However, if we have another guy we want to connect with, who doesn't have the same Mfr, we have to all jump down to straight BT, and we have to take that hit. Stopped doing that.

A couple years back, everyone had their own brand, and we were constantly running into connection issues. So we studied up and decided to all standardize and upgrade to the Bolds last spring, and we went all last summer without skipping a beat.