Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony 7000

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 05:40 PM
mpr3369
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Sony 7000

Is changing out the hu really worth it. I am leaning towards switching out the hu (regular gt 6.5) with the sony 7000. For the people who have switched do you regret it? I live in Florida (Sunshine State) where it rains constantly! I have renamed my road glide to rain glide. Everytime I take it out it rains. I'd hate to swap the hu and have the rain ruin it. If I end up switching it I will build some sort of rain guard for it similar to the one Fathead cycles sells. So my question is, is it that much of a difference and is it worth it? I have a 2 speaker system hertz component fairing speakers pushed by an arc moto 600.4. It sounds pretty good now. Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:03 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I installed one in my 2016 SGS, I absolutely looooooove it! I don't like the stress of possibly getting caught in a huge down pour, but the Car Play for music and navigation cannot be beat!

Old 12-12-2020, 06:19 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by mpr3369
Is changing out the hu really worth it. I am leaning towards switching out the hu (regular gt 6.5) with the sony 7000. For the people who have switched do you regret it? I live in Florida (Sunshine State) where it rains constantly! I have renamed my road glide to rain glide. Everytime I take it out it rains. I'd hate to swap the hu and have the rain ruin it. If I end up switching it I will build some sort of rain guard for it similar to the one Fathead cycles sells. So my question is, is it that much of a difference and is it worth it? I have a 2 speaker system hertz component fairing speakers pushed by an arc moto 600.4. It sounds pretty good now. Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.
what are you looking to gain form new HU?
is your HU flashed or have line leveler?

Old 12-12-2020, 06:46 PM
mpr3369
Tourer

I have the bt line leveler. I like the thought of android auto but don't want to pay $1600+ for the gts. The 7000s abilities intrigue me. As of late for some reason my stock head unit won't allow me to skip songs on my usb. Thought maybe it was the usb drive but tried a new one and same issue. Not sure what happened. Just quit working. The handlebar controls still work for all the other functions just not the usb drive. After reading all the different threads about the 7000 I kind of want it but trying to justify it to myself I guess! I will keep my stock radio regardless just don't want to waste $550+.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM
EODguy
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine installed for 6 months now, and I love it. Purchased it from Fathead cycles and it was plug and play. They now offer a removable splash cover to protect it from the rain. I used it for about 4 months without the cover and 2 months with the cover. This radio is better in every way to the GTS Harley radio. I changed out my speaker to Polk marine 6.5 speakers front and rear and with the 100 watts of power to each speaker I have no need to add an amp for more power. Typically I listen to Pandora and use Waze for navigation. I also have a usb stick of music always ready on USB input #2 with my favorite songs loaded.

The following users liked this post:
havinabubble (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 04:09 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts

cut the H-D 6.5 inFRUSTRATION system chord back in Oct 2020, and was one of the best upgrades I've done to my bike! IMHO

all the features you would expect from a modern audio system.... free up-to-date maps, music sources of your choice, customisable wallpaper, programmable switches if you want to change them, and two full sources of preloaded music if you want to bring-your-own

plug N play from Fat Head Cycles ...EXCELLENT customer service! before, during and after (we'll get to that)

and I have to say I felt like I was finally in control of my own bike rather than having to keep getting the MotorCo to do ANYTHING because an advised software upgrade had spannered yet another feature on the jurassic 6.5 GT.

3 months of riding, enjoying and the odd speckle of rain (no cover) and it didn't miss a beat.....BUT (and here comes the caveat!)

Last weekend I endured a 6.5hour ride, in the driving cold British rain and it caused a major issue! (and concern).
The amount of water that gets in the batwing is INSANE! (this pic was taken 24hours AFTER the bike had sat and before I washed it)

I endured the worst weather the radio could be exposed to and "unfortunately the 7k is not "WATERPROOF" it is simply "WEATHER SEALED", giving it just a bit more protection from the elements but by no means giving it the ability to survive that kind of exposure"

I experienced the volume going up and down, I had apps switching, and worst of all was the radio turning itself back on and off, in the pitch dark, full white light!

Pulled off the motorway (freeway) and isolated the radio by pulling the fuse and continued my horrendous ride without a face tan from the display lighting up and then turning off over and over, in the dark.

Following day I dried front and back with a bike dryer and tried my luck with the fuse back in...
radio worked! played music, but the on screen buttons where still a little cranky. Handlebar controls were not happening at all (and I reset the FHC module 3 or 4 times)

contacted Fat Head Cycles who were SUPERB!!
No worries, it's all under warranty (they said!). But I thought I'd leave it another 24hours before I started the strip down and post back to the USA.

...last night, I turned it on and all is well in the dashboard once more! Radio works 100% and the handlebar controls are all functioning as expected (phew)

So now off to order the splash guards: https://fatheadcycles.com/collection...-99-13-95-hdif
and follow some of the great advise on waterproofing the rear of the unit as posted on these forums

Thinking of upgrading? DO IT! still one of the best upgrades I've done to my bike!

YMMV

Originally Posted by mpr3369

The following 2 users liked this post by havinabubble:
16_Tri-Glide (05-20-2021), scott_0 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:47 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Having run the stock 6.5 head unit & the Sony 7000 in my 2016 SGS, I can attest that the for audio sound quality & having carplay features, it was well worth the change over to the Sony 7000
I too had an issue & Fathead replaced the unit - sending me a new one no questions asked

The following users liked this post:
16_Tri-Glide (05-20-2021)
Old 12-17-2020, 09:59 AM
rlager
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This was my experience as well riding from Oregon to/through California. Great radio, but not waterproof or even weather resistant I'd say.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:42 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Or do like me. I started hating the BOOM hu in my 17 RGS. Wasn;t sold on the Sony for said reasons here, and hated spending the 1500 andup for the new BOOM GTS hu, so I traded bikes and got the new HU that way. lol

The new HU is light years ahead of the old one. Very happy with it and i KNOW its waterproof AND warrantied for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by teedoff65:
16_Tri-Glide (05-20-2021), havinabubble (12-18-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 02:13 PM
mpr3369
Tourer

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to do more research on how to waterproof the back of the radio. I'm pretty sure I'll make the jump. This boom gt is pretty archaic and should definitely be upgraded. Teedoff, I would love to trade the bike in but it just got paid off. I'll have to enjoy the lack of a payment for a while before that happens!

Quick Reply: Sony 7000