Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please lend some advice. Struggling with audio choice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 12:19 PM
mcdmn717
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please lend some advice. Struggling with audio choice.

Hi guys! Im looking to upgrade my speakers on my 18 RGS as my wife says she cant hear any music above 30mph. I currently have a stage 1 from harley and its the worst money i have spent on my bike so far i think. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to either PRV or Diamond Audio. Not sure what is the better choice but, im going to replace the stock front fairing speakers, the tour pak speakers, and maybe add some lid speakers down the road if i need em. From anyone’s experience is it better to get a midrange 6.5 and a separate horn for the front on the grill? Ofherwise diamond audio makes a good 4 way i was looking at. I keep reading a lot of posts where people say you get to much highs and not enough lows so id like to do this right the first time instead of wasting a ton of $$$. If you guys have any amp suggestions i would appreciate that also. I want this to sound loud as hell and decent at the same time.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:49 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdmn717
Hi guys! Im looking to upgrade my speakers on my 18 RGS as my wife says she cant hear any music above 30mph. I currently have a stage 1 from harley and its the worst money i have spent on my bike so far i think. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to either PRV or Diamond Audio. Not sure what is the better choice but, im going to replace the stock front fairing speakers, the tour pak speakers, and maybe add some lid speakers down the road if i need em. From anyone’s experience is it better to get a midrange 6.5 and a separate horn for the front on the grill? Ofherwise diamond audio makes a good 4 way i was looking at. I keep reading a lot of posts where people say you get to much highs and not enough lows so id like to do this right the first time instead of wasting a ton of $$$. If you guys have any amp suggestions i would appreciate that also. I want this to sound loud as hell and decent at the same time.
I would look into the new GZ coax yellow basket. They are made for bike and play pretty low(bass/warmth) for a 6.5 and they are a coax so no need for a separate horn or a dsp. There are a few threads currently on this speaker.

Juice

Old 11-14-2020, 04:23 PM
mcdmn717
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Juice
I would look into the new GZ coax yellow basket. They are made for bike and play pretty low(bass/warmth) for a 6.5 and they are a coax so no need for a separate horn or a dsp. There are a few threads currently on this speaker.

Juice

thx juice. Ill check those out for sure.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:10 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

You will also need an amp or you will still not hear it. Those speakers Juice mentioned are indeed one of the best coax for a scooter. If you or the wife require fm reception then look into a stinger spx 700x4 amp. It will provide what you need but wont let the speaker work at it's full potential.. A SD 1200.4 evox 4 ohm will be perfect for those speakers but radio reception will be hampered.

Last edited by travelingypsye; 11-14-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:14 AM
mcdmn717
Intermediate

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
You will also need an amp or you will still not hear it. Those speakers Juice mentioned are indeed one of the best coax for a scooter. If you or the wife require fm reception then look into a stinger spx 700x4 amp. It will provide what you need but wont let the speaker work at it's full potential.. A SD 1200.4 evox 4 ohm will be perfect for those speakers but radio reception will be hampered.

yeah. Amp is a must. Are these brand amp and speakers similar to diamond audio in loudness? Definitely want something that is so loud, my wife will say “turn it down” instead of “i cant hear it”. Radio does not matter. I just bought a sony 7000 head unit so i will use sirius xm and apple play. Ty guys for your input here. I appreciate it.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

yeah. Amp is a must. Are these brand amp and speakers similar to diamond audio in loudness? Definitely want something that is so loud, my wife will say “turn it down” instead of “i cant hear it”. Radio does not matter. I just bought a sony 7000 head unit so i will use sirius xm and apple play. Ty guys for your input here. I appreciate it.
You'll have no trouble hearing these speakers with the sd amp. Check out the thread here about those speakers. They get really loud and have pretty good bass freq.

I will say, I'm running an SD amp and while FM reception isn't perfect, I do still get most of my stations. I'm also running my antenna under the seat, so that would also contribute to any FM signal loss, and not just caused by the amp. Like me though, most guys stream or listen to music from a drive or android auto or carPlay.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:15 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
You'll have no trouble hearing these speakers with the sd amp. Check out the thread here about those speakers. They get really loud and have pretty good bass freq.

I will say, I'm running an SD amp and while FM reception isn't perfect, I do still get most of my stations. I'm also running my antenna under the seat, so that would also contribute to any FM signal loss, and not just caused by the amp. Like me though, most guys stream or listen to music from a drive or android auto or carPlay.
That is good to hear Teedoff as I dont even have an antenna anymore as I listen to either amazon prime or off a memory stick thru a usb connection.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:26 AM
mcdmn717
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teedoff65

any reason you do t get a chub antenna? I have one (threadlocked on cause i learned my lesson real quick) and they work fine.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:46 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

any reason you do t get a chub antenna? I have one (threadlocked on cause i learned my lesson real quick) and they work fine.
I didn't want any antenna sticking up from my rear fender. I did the same thing on my 17 as well. Although now it seems harleys whip antennas are not made of metal, but rather fiberglass or plastic. Mine has broken about 6" from the top where it is curved under the seat and under the tank bracket.

As I said, I never listen to the radio anyway.