Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking clarity on audio upgrades for a 2019

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 11:49 AM
freakfxr
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Seeking clarity on audio upgrades for a 2019

It is my understanding that there are several ways to go about the upgrade. Right now my 2019 Special is stock. Yes it sucks. The goal is music taht sounds loud and clear at speed (80 mph+). Not interested in Hogtunes, J&M, Rockford Fosgate etc, or any of the Boom stuff. I am only going to do two speakers in teh fairing and amp and would prefer to keep the stock head unit in order to keep things simple and maintain functionality of the systems. So an amp, dsp and two speakers along with an amp install kit. This is where my things get fuzzy. With the DSP, depending on which I choose do I use a laptop to adjust specifics once I have tuned my amp?

I realize that upgrading the head unit will allow for far more range and such and thus far better sound. I did the audio on my 2013 but that was a bt different as i swapped head unit, added an amp and did speakers. I had a mix and match setup. RF amp, biketronics speakers and a sony head unit. The Older style red RF amp was then swapped out for the TD400 later on and the head unit (Sony) was swapped for the Acquatic AV (which was free and I hate). At this point I had decided that the sound was far better with the sony head unit than the Acquatic and kicked myself for doing it. Then, one of my BT speakers blew and taht is how THAT bike sits today.

I bought the 2019 and am focusing on that now. So back to the questions. What speakers, amp, and DSP will yield great sound and be reliable and user friendly? Install seems pretty straight forward and similar to that of my 2013 so I'm not really concerned with that portion of it, and thank god the new RG fairing is so much simpler to put back on.

I've read numerous threads and my head is spinning. Let me know what you've done and how you like it. I realize sound is subjective as are all mods to Harley's. I'm not looking win contests or have the loudest stereo, however if I am spending $1000 I want it sound great and be more than plenty loud at speed.

Also curious how the Soundz systems that are $2000 stack up against say MMATs with an amp etc. I'd rather spend less, however cash is not necessarily the deciding factor if done right the first time.

One more question. For those who upgrade head units and have powervision, I am assuming taht you can use the PV to check codes, oil pressure, etc as opposed to the GTS system? That is my main cincern with getting rid of the factory system. The GPS etc is what it is.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by freakfxr
It is my understanding that there are several ways to go about the upgrade. Right now my 2019 Special is stock. Yes it sucks. The goal is music taht sounds loud and clear at speed (80 mph+). Not interested in Hogtunes, J&M, Rockford Fosgate etc, or any of the Boom stuff. I am only going to do two speakers in teh fairing and amp and would prefer to keep the stock head unit in order to keep things simple and maintain functionality of the systems. So an amp, dsp and two speakers along with an amp install kit. This is where my things get fuzzy. With the DSP, depending on which I choose do I use a laptop to adjust specifics once I have tuned my amp?

I realize that upgrading the head unit will allow for far more range and such and thus far better sound. I did the audio on my 2013 but that was a bt different as i swapped head unit, added an amp and did speakers. I had a mix and match setup. RF amp, biketronics speakers and a sony head unit. The Older style red RF amp was then swapped out for the TD400 later on and the head unit (Sony) was swapped for the Acquatic AV (which was free and I hate). At this point I had decided that the sound was far better with the sony head unit than the Acquatic and kicked myself for doing it. Then, one of my BT speakers blew and taht is how THAT bike sits today.

I bought the 2019 and am focusing on that now. So back to the questions. What speakers, amp, and DSP will yield great sound and be reliable and user friendly? Install seems pretty straight forward and similar to that of my 2013 so I'm not really concerned with that portion of it, and thank god the new RG fairing is so much simpler to put back on.

I've read numerous threads and my head is spinning. Let me know what you've done and how you like it. I realize sound is subjective as are all mods to Harley's. I'm not looking win contests or have the loudest stereo, however if I am spending $1000 I want it sound great and be more than plenty loud at speed.

Also curious how the Soundz systems that are $2000 stack up against say MMATs with an amp etc. I'd rather spend less, however cash is not necessarily the deciding factor if done right the first time.

One more question. For those who upgrade head units and have powervision, I am assuming taht you can use the PV to check codes, oil pressure, etc as opposed to the GTS system? That is my main cincern with getting rid of the factory system. The GPS etc is what it is.
Well you're already off to a good start with that statement right there. lol

I personally like the new GTS radio. Its got good functionality and its waterproof. Boot time is MUCH faster than previous GT unit, which was my biggest complaint with that one. I HATED that. And the time to get a route to load was atrocious as well.

Check out the new GZ 6.5 speaker threads. They're getting good reviews. Not positive on the prices...somewhere around 250 maybe? could be wrong. Then throw in an amp like the SD1200 evox and a dsp.

You can get amp wiring kits from metra to power your amp. Run your own new speaker wires and RCAs as well as power, ground and remotes for your DSP.

If you keep the stock HU, you'll need to have it flashed to flatten the EQ from the factory.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:42 AM
freakfxr
Tourer

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Well you're already off to a good start with that statement right there. lol

I personally like the new GTS radio. Its got good functionality and its waterproof. Boot time is MUCH faster than previous GT unit, which was my biggest complaint with that one. I HATED that. And the time to get a route to load was atrocious as well.

Check out the new GZ 6.5 speaker threads. They're getting good reviews. Not positive on the prices...somewhere around 250 maybe? could be wrong. Then throw in an amp like the SD1200 evox and a dsp.

You can get amp wiring kits from metra to power your amp. Run your own new speaker wires and RCAs as well as power, ground and remotes for your DSP.

If you keep the stock HU, you'll need to have it flashed to flatten the EQ from the factory.
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. So, I'm assuming if I get an RF DSP I get an RF flash, otherwise I get a flash from Harley? This is where I'm getting confused. Are there other DSP's out there and what where do I get a flash for a DSP? I'm assuming a stereo shop? I appreciate your help.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:10 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. So, I'm assuming if I get an RF DSP I get an RF flash, otherwise I get a flash from Harley? This is where I'm getting confused. Are there other DSP's out there and what where do I get a flash for a DSP? I'm assuming a stereo shop? I appreciate your help.
I might would look for some other DSP. Some guys use the RF one, but some dont like it. But no, the flash is not dependent on which dsp you use or even if you have a dsp or not. The flash is to flatten the built in EQ the hu has. Some hd dealers can flash the HU. I had the 8/2 flash done at a local dealer a few months ago.

Read the threads on the new GZ speakers I think ADenton started. Very informative. The mmats 601cx speakers were a good go to speaker for simple upgrades with a stinger amp. No DSP needed really. But the new GZ's seem to be a great replacement for that system.

GZ Yellows

Old 11-09-2020, 01:50 PM
freakfxr
Tourer

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I might would look for some other DSP. Some guys use the RF one, but some dont like it. But no, the flash is not dependent on which dsp you use or even if you have a dsp or not. The flash is to flatten the built in EQ the hu has. Some hd dealers can flash the HU. I had the 8/2 flash done at a local dealer a few months ago.

Read the threads on the new GZ speakers I think ADenton started. Very informative. The mmats 601cx speakers were a good go to speaker for simple upgrades with a stinger amp. No DSP needed really. But the new GZ's seem to be a great replacement for that system.

GZ Yellows
Thanks, I'll check it out. I spoke to another guy who sells the diamond speakers and amp and he said no flash and that **** was clear and loud in the video.. Like you could hear it a block away loud and clear. He said no DSP and said he does not use them. I want to udnerstand all this before I make a decision. I guess if I flatten the Harley EQ it gives me more ability to custom tune the sound. Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:01 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

I wouldn’t base my decision off of a video. Also just because you can hear it a block away and it’s loud doesn’t mean it will be pleasant when your actually riding it. Get your ears on some bikes at a local bike night if you can. Best way to actually hear what is doing

Old 11-09-2020, 03:19 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Thanks, I'll check it out. I spoke to another guy who sells the diamond speakers and amp and he said no flash and that **** was clear and loud in the video.. Like you could hear it a block away loud and clear. He said no DSP and said he does not use them. I want to udnerstand all this before I make a decision. I guess if I flatten the Harley EQ it gives me more ability to custom tune the sound. Thanks again.
Well this dude is one of the very few that DOES NOT flash, so not sure I would go by his recommendation.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:19 PM
freakfxr
Tourer

Originally Posted by cshocker
Well this dude is one of the very few that DOES NOT flash, so not sure I would go by his recommendation.
And that is why I am here asking questions. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:36 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Get the RF flash and get the Dayton 408 DSP. It's very user friendly and relatively cheap. The flash is a must IMO.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM
freakfxr
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
Get the RF flash and get the Dayton 408 DSP. It's very user friendly and relatively cheap. The flash is a must IMO.
@SBates08 Thanks. The more info the better. What do you run for speakers and amp? And, how do I power the DSP? I'm assuming it runs off of some sort of remote wire?

Quick Reply: Seeking clarity on audio upgrades for a 2019