Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony AX7000 spurious files that won’t play?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 02:36 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts
Question Sony AX7000 spurious files that won’t play?

Sony AX7000 is all new to me, so finding my way, early days...

first thing I had to do was MP3 all my m4a content (I use a Mac in my day job, but speak Windows as a second language)

32GB flash is formatted as FAT32

the Sony throws up A CANT PLAY CONTENT message fairly often, and now I see why... anyone know why I have the period underscore file name version for every track name?

can I delete them?

TiA

Old 10-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,333 Likes on 843 Posts

Did you buy these songs off of iTunes? Sometimes when you buy music on iTunes it automatically puts a backup on the cloud, which is also populated in the album folder, so if you drag a complete album there it will drag these also. Those files will not play. That's the first thing that comes to mind. I fought with this kind of thing for a while, which is why I just use an iPod for all my music on the bikes. Saves me a lot of frustration.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:12 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Lightbulb

not to answer my own question, but this might be useful to others with a Sony and content that does not play, copied from a Mac:

"Dot underscore files are Mac system files. They are the result of storing your files on a hard drive partition that does not support extended file attributes. They have likely always been there on your Mac, but since they are OS X system files, they were hidden. Windows just sees them as regular files so it doesn't hide them."

Originally Posted by Tortoise98
Did you buy these songs off of iTunes? Sometimes when you buy music on iTunes it automatically puts a backup on the cloud, which is also populated in the album folder, so if you drag a complete album there it will drag these also. Those files will not play. That's the first thing that comes to mind. I fought with this kind of thing for a while, which is why I just use an iPod for all my music on the bikes. Saves me a lot of frustration.
T98 yes my original music tool of choice was iTunes, so I simply drag out the content of my ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music to various size FAT32 formatted flash drives.
The 6.5 inFRUSTRATION system didn't used to query these hidden files it would seem, but the Sony does. Using an iPod isnt an option as I carry a droid phone and really dont want an iPod left in the bike.

So one solution will be to recopy the music flash drive from Mac to peecee and back to a FAT32 flash drive, created on the windows side of the fence ...thus removing the hidden mac files.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:10 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Lightbulb

and for anyone who wants to remove them easy with a Mac:
In Terminal just run
Code:
dot_clean /path/to/where/you/want/to/clean

Note that this is recursive, so you don't need to go into subdirectories manually
...just cleaned up my 32GB flash drive in a few mins!