Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena 50S, Sony AX7000, and Apple Carplay quirks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM
rlager
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sena 50S, Sony AX7000, and Apple Carplay quirks

Hi All,

I have had a similar situation with the Sena 20S I was using before upgrading. I had hoped upgrading to the 50 would correct some of the issues but...no.

I have a Sena 50S which is paired to my iPhone 10 running iOS 14.
The phone is plugged into the AX7000 via USB for Apple Carplay, Maps, etc.
I have paired the phone both as a primary phone, and using selective pairing but the result is pretty much the same.
Generally I plug the phone into usb - turn on the bike, make sure that carplay is working - then power on the headset after starting the bike and making sure that carplay is still working. The headset connects to the phone no problem.

As I'm cruising down the road - whether I say Hey Siri!, or activate Siri with the button on the headset - Siri will pop up on the screen but not respond to anything I'm saying - it's like I'm not talking at all.
It's weird because saying Hey Siri! will bring up Siri every time, but most of the time she just sits there not hearing anything.

I've also tried pairing the Sena to the phone 1st, then plugging in the phone and turning on the radio, but usually have the same result. The odd thing is that sometimes (rarely) it all works as it's supposed to and it always works when not plugged into USB for carplay.

Another issue - I would like to get turn by turn directions and voice prompts in the headset but have music go to the bike. If I setup the headset as a primary phone, the option to change audio to the headset appears in maps for example, but if I use selective pairing - the headset does not appear in maps. Either way - voice prompts usually come through the bike speakers which is wonderful when you turn on your bike after filling up the tank and Siri is blasting return to the route at the gas station .

@Brandon Smith I know you've had some extensive experience in this area, do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Roger

Old 10-19-2020, 11:34 AM
havinabubble
Supporter
Received 237 Likes on 173 Posts

hey Roger, I'm trying to resolve similar issues with my new Sony system... SENA H-D 20S EVO, Pixel 4XL, Sony 7000
thanks to @Brandon SmithI was put onto selective pairing and that got the phone working in my headset and not out the speakers, but as you state you gotta turn the headset on AFTER fire up otherwise it doesn't hook up correctly.

I read with interest "paired the phone both as a primary phone, and using selective pairing but the result is pretty much the same." can you expand on the term PRIMARY phone? I only have one phone hooked up to my HU via cable (or in bluetooth)

As I'm also trying "to get turn by turn directions and voice prompts in the headset but have music go to the bike" and don't see the "headset does not appear in maps".
@Brandon Smith mentioned this map setting to me and I've seen it in my car, but couldn't get it to appear with the Sony

TIA

Originally Posted by rlager
Hi All,

I have had a similar situation with the Sena 20S I was using before upgrading. I had hoped upgrading to the 50 would correct some of the issues but...no.

I have a Sena 50S which is paired to my iPhone 10 running iOS 14.
The phone is plugged into the AX7000 via USB for Apple Carplay, Maps, etc.
I have paired the phone both as a primary phone, and using selective pairing but the result is pretty much the same.
Generally I plug the phone into usb - turn on the bike, make sure that carplay is working - then power on the headset after starting the bike and making sure that carplay is still working. The headset connects to the phone no problem.

As I'm cruising down the road - whether I say Hey Siri!, or activate Siri with the button on the headset - Siri will pop up on the screen but not respond to anything I'm saying - it's like I'm not talking at all.
It's weird because saying Hey Siri! will bring up Siri every time, but most of the time she just sits there not hearing anything.

I've also tried pairing the Sena to the phone 1st, then plugging in the phone and turning on the radio, but usually have the same result. The odd thing is that sometimes (rarely) it all works as it's supposed to and it always works when not plugged into USB for carplay.

Another issue - I would like to get turn by turn directions and voice prompts in the headset but have music go to the bike. If I setup the headset as a primary phone, the option to change audio to the headset appears in maps for example, but if I use selective pairing - the headset does not appear in maps. Either way - voice prompts usually come through the bike speakers which is wonderful when you turn on your bike after filling up the tank and Siri is blasting return to the route at the gas station .

@Brandon Smith I know you've had some extensive experience in this area, do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Roger

Old 10-19-2020, 04:41 PM
rlager
Cruiser

Hey TIA! Thanks for replying.

I guess when I say Primary phone I really just mean phone (sorry about that). Pairing options for the 20S EVO and the 50S are pretty much the same I think. I have paired the 50S to my iPhone using the standard pairing which I think is the first pairing option as far as the headset goes. If I pair it using this method - I can change the audio output in maps to the headset, but it generally doesn't hold the setting. Eventually (usually it will revert to the bikes speakers after the first spoken directions into the headset). If I use selective pairing - there is no option to change the audio output in maps. Haven't tried GPS pairing yet but I'm not sure what/how the phone would react with that option.

Also - most of the time, after the first voice command to Siri (Siri, play 70's rock, etc.) it stops hearing my voice. Saying Hey Siri will bring siri up on the carplay screen, but that's about it - she doesn't hear anything I'm saying. I wonder if I have a bad cable.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:25 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Y'all tagged the wrong BrandonSmith, so I didn't get notified of this and came across this accidentally. I have the problem from time to time as well (where siri will try to use the built-in microphone instead of the headset). Turning the headset on AFTER carplay connects is key.

I created a "shortcut" in iOS that disables bluetooth when CarPlay connects, then turns on bluetooth after carplay connects (this unpairs the headset and then repairs it after carplay connects, so the order of operations doesn't matter, because it will do it for you). It isn't fullproof works most of the time. I did this because I would stop for gas and when starting the bike back up, Siri wouldn't use the headset anymore.

I am not sure how to get around this issue completely.

The following users liked this post:
havinabubble (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:56 PM
rlager
Cruiser

Ooops! Wrong Brandon! Thanks for replying. Interesting idea on the shortcut. Is it something that has to be activated from the phone screen or is it pretty much automatic when carplay connects, or is it an icon you can place on the carplay screen? The reason I ask is that I have my phone in the tour pack usually so if it was something that had to be activated on the phone...huh....just created this automation (carplay connects, then turn Bluetooth off and back on) and it looks like it's automatic. That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2020, 07:17 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by rlager
Ooops! Wrong Brandon! Thanks for replying. Interesting idea on the shortcut. Is it something that has to be activated from the phone screen or is it pretty much automatic when carplay connects, or is it an icon you can place on the carplay screen? The reason I ask is that I have my phone in the tour pack usually so if it was something that had to be activated on the phone...huh....just created this automation (carplay connects, then turn Bluetooth off and back on) and it looks like it's automatic. That's pretty cool. Thanks!
Yep, it's an automation.

When
Carplay: Carplay connects
Do
Bluetooth: Turn bluetooth off
Scripting: Wait 1 second
Bluetooth: Turn bluetooth on
End

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 10-23-2020 at 07:24 PM.