Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Get the Flash NOW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 12:52 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Should I Get the Flash NOW?

My bike is a 2017 RGS with the stock head unit and speakers. I already have the speakers (PA601CX) for the fairing and a front BT355 line leveler on the way. I still need to get the 4 channel amp, so I'm a couple weeks from actually starting the install. I will ultimately add tour pak pods and speakers back there (probably same speakers, but maybe something with more juice) but the same amp. I'm planning on a 4 channel system.

My bike is heading into the dealer as we speak, for a non-audio-related reason. While it's there, should I go ahead and get the head unit flashed? Is there any harm in getting it flashed now, before I do any upgrades? And is there any harm in getting it flashed for 4 (or more) channels now, even though I'll be running the stock 2 channel system for a little while yet, followed by a time with the amp and just 2 speakers?

What's the flash I should use? It will only ever be 4 channels (fairing and tour pak). Probably powered by either a Stinger SPX700X4 or a SD 800.4 EVOX. Do I get the 4/0 flash? The 8/2 flash? They *are* a Soundz dealer, too, and while I'm not looking at Soundz components, they should be able to do other flashes. So perhaps there's another flash I should have them do? Thoughts?

Several questions here and I appreciate the help!

Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Any help about the flash would be appreciated. I expect to talk to the dealer today.

Thx

Old 08-18-2020, 09:41 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Not sure if you should get it flashed if your weeks away from install. Im wondering the same thing as Im in the same boat you are. Waiting on parts. But I'll be getting the 8/2 flash. I think its the flattest EQ out there and I dont really need fade. If you want to keep fade, the the RF flash is the one to go with.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:45 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

If you're planning on running without a dsp, I would say the Rockford flash is your best bet. It has a good eq curve and will sound good with just fairing and pods.

If you go to that flash, you no longer need the BT355. You can use a regular line output converter instead.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:20 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Not sure if you should get it flashed if your weeks away from install. Im wondering the same thing as Im in the same boat you are. Waiting on parts. But I'll be getting the 8/2 flash. I think its the flattest EQ out there and I dont really need fade. If you want to keep fade, the the RF flash is the one to go with.
Thanks. I've heard that about the 8/2, but I have no idea why that would be any different than a 4/0.

I do want the fade, but I'm pretty sure the 4/0 and the 8/2 both give it to me. Otherwise, I'd stick with what I have and just split the output of the BT355.

Originally Posted by Adenton528
If you're planning on running without a dsp, I would say the Rockford flash is your best bet. It has a good eq curve and will sound good with just fairing and pods.

If you go to that flash, you no longer need the BT355. You can use a regular line output converter instead.
I don't know if the HD dealer will do the RF flash or not. I'm not sure if they are a RF dealer. I know they do Soundz, but not sure about RF.

I'm using the BT355 because the amp I'm likely going with (SD 800.4 EVOX) doesn't have the speaker hi inputs. RCA only. So I need something in there. I suppose a line output converter could do the trick. I know AHB has them. Any others you'd recommend?

Old 08-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
Thanks. I've heard that about the 8/2, but I have no idea why that would be any different than a 4/0.

I do want the fade, but I'm pretty sure the 4/0 and the 8/2 both give it to me. Otherwise, I'd stick with what I have and just split the output of the BT355.

I don't know if the HD dealer will do the RF flash or not. I'm not sure if they are a RF dealer. I know they do Soundz, but not sure about RF.

I'm using the BT355 because the amp I'm likely going with (SD 800.4 EVOX) doesn't have the speaker hi inputs. RCA only. So I need something in there. I suppose a line output converter could do the trick. I know AHB has them. Any others you'd recommend?

Look up my post called "Boom Flash RTA" on the forum. It'll give a lot of info on the different flashes. 8/2 does not provide fade. The Soundz flash is a renamed 8/2 and also does not have fade.

The difference between the BT355 and a regular line output converter is that the BT355 has filters in it that tame the stock harley eq boost around 100 hz. If using it, you do not need a flash at all. Just plug it in and let it roll. If a flash and further upgrades are in the pipeline (more speakers, dsp), then I would go with 8/2 from the beginning and use a PAC SNI15 or SNI35 to convert high to low level signals.

Best case scenario in my opinion would be if you're sticking with 2-4 speakers and one amp, get the RF flash, use a PAC SNI, and roll down the road happy.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:44 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Adenton528
Look up my post called "Boom Flash RTA" on the forum. It'll give a lot of info on the different flashes. 8/2 does not provide fade. The Soundz flash is a renamed 8/2 and also does not have fade.

The difference between the BT355 and a regular line output converter is that the BT355 has filters in it that tame the stock harley eq boost around 100 hz. If using it, you do not need a flash at all. Just plug it in and let it roll. If a flash and further upgrades are in the pipeline (more speakers, dsp), then I would go with 8/2 from the beginning and use a PAC SNI15 or SNI35 to convert high to low level signals.

Best case scenario in my opinion would be if you're sticking with 2-4 speakers and one amp, get the RF flash, use a PAC SNI, and roll down the road happy.
I'll definitely look up that thread. That may save me from getting the wrong flash! Thanks.

And yes, that is the plan for my system (2-4 speakers and an amp). So I'll take a look at the PAC SNI's too. I've heard good things about them. I have a BT355 on order. I wonder if I can return it if I decide to go the PAC direction. If not, I know where I can re-sell it...

Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 PM
jester0618
Road Captain

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

The pac is approx 12 bucks. BT355 is around 80 I think. I know which way I went. But, then I went further and did dsp, more speakers, bigger speakers, horns, etc. It's a bug. I'd buy for the future if it was me. Now I'm looking at some subs!

Old 08-18-2020, 02:42 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

I still have the 4/0 flash, as it was about it a few years ago, I did ditch the BT355's in favor of the AHB adaptors, and feel it sounds much better now, I won't be trying any other flash as i think it sounds awesome as is. no DSP either. and i see no reason why you can't just get it flashed now.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:58 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mikes300
I still have the 4/0 flash, as it was about it a few years ago, I did ditch the BT355's in favor of the AHB adaptors, and feel it sounds much better now, I won't be trying any other flash as i think it sounds awesome as is. no DSP either. and i see no reason why you can't just get it flashed now.
You know, I mentioned AHB and I looked further at their devices. They aren't actually level converters. They just put the high level signals on RCA's. The say on their website that if you need level conversion you need to get level converters in addition to theirs. Or, perhaps I totally missed seeing their level converters? One nice thing the BT355's have over the PAC line converters is plug-and-play with the head unit. I'm not afraid of wiring, but if I can plug in a connector instead of stripping and soldering, I'm all for that! Can you point me to the AHB level converters?

Quick Reply: Should I Get the Flash NOW?