Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Thumb Drive with 06-13 HK Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:50 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Default USB Thumb Drive with 06-13 HK Head Unit?

I'm wondering if anyone has stumbled on a mod that would give you a USB connection to the HK radio that would allow you to drill down through the file directory to select music on the head unit display kind of like that old ipod box used to work?

Old 08-17-2020, 03:40 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I don't think anyone has come up with such a mod. If they have I'd love to hear about it.

I just gave in and got an HDPD Plus iPod interface. The sound quality is the best of the five input sources I have on the bike. I ran the cable through the same hole in the clutch side saddlebag I have my amp in and attached it to the side with velco. It's easy to take out to add music and create playlists on.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:09 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
I don't think anyone has come up with such a mod. If they have I'd love to hear about it.

I just gave in and got an HDPD Plus iPod interface. The sound quality is the best of the five input sources I have on the bike. I ran the cable through the same hole in the clutch side saddlebag I have my amp in and attached it to the side with velco. It's easy to take out to add music and create playlists on.
Thanks Hoyt - I have one of those too, but I've run into alot of problems with it, and the support is terrible. I've had to replace cables a couple of times, and now, I can no longer select by the head unit, and must do it on the ipod itself, which is a PITA when it's in your saddle bag. That's pretty much why I wanted to rip that out and find an option for a USB thumb drive. I did give passing though to the Bluetooth mod, but then I'd be stuck messing with the phone instead. With the size of thumb drives now a days, and the ability of some systems to handle FLAC, that's a no brainer if it's available.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

When I was using my stock HD Harman-Kardon Advanced Audio System I installed the HD Boom! Audio iPod interface and connected it to my iPod Nano.
I installed my iPod Nano (16 GB, 6th generation) right on top of the radio in the front fairing with Velcro. I have lots of music, albums, playlists already installed on the Nano and I'm not one that updates my music frequently. Whenever I have the outer fairing off, I'll update my music and playlists. If I really need to update my music, it's only (7) screws and a few minutes and I have the outer fairing removed from the bike. I didn't want to deal with any extension cables, possibilities of connectors breaking, drilling holes in a tour-pak or saddle bag, etc. Plus, keeping the iPod under the fairing is probably more secure than keeping it in a saddle bag. Never had a problem with this system.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
When I was using my stock HD Harman-Kardon Advanced Audio System I installed the HD Boom! Audio iPod interface and connected it to my iPod Nano.
I installed my iPod Nano (16 GB, 6th generation) right on top of the radio in the front fairing with Velcro. I have lots of music, albums, playlists already installed on the Nano and I'm not one that updates my music frequently. Whenever I have the outer fairing off, I'll update my music and playlists. If I really need to update my music, it's only (7) screws and a few minutes and I have the outer fairing removed from the bike. I didn't want to deal with any extension cables, possibilities of connectors breaking, drilling holes in a tour-pak or saddle bag, etc. Plus, keeping the iPod under the fairing is probably more secure than keeping it in a saddle bag. Never had a problem with this system.
Yeah, that works great when you can select the folders by the head unit. Whether the ipod is in your saddle bags, or in the fairing, which is even more work, it's still a PITA if you have to pull it out to select something.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
Yeah, that works great when you can select the folders by the head unit. Whether the ipod is in your saddle bags, or in the fairing, which is even more work, it's still a PITA if you have to pull it out to select something.
I'm not following your complaint. I was able to select music via Artist, Album, Playlist, Genre, Repeat, Shuffle via the head unit or handlebar controls.
Or, pick-up a used Gamin GPS unit that has a built-in MP3 player and connect that to the AUX port on your head unit.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 08-18-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:04 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

I have the HDPD Plus III that was made by On the Move Technology that I bought from Iron Cross, and I think was private labeled to Harley too. Post #3 mentions that I have been running into a problem with the unit where I cannot control the unit with my head unit. You are supposed to be able to hit the lock button, and then control the iPod with the head unit or visa-versa. However, in both Locked or Unlocked, none of the Folder, Artist, Playlist buttons work. Nor does the skip forward or back either from the handlebar controls and the Mfr never responded.

I've replaced the entire cable, and bought a second iPod, and that didn't help, so no doubt it's the head unit itself. So now for the last couple of years, I can only use a playlist, which is kind of a PITA. Instead of buying another HDPD, I'd rather look forward and see if there are other options out there for a clean install. Running a cable to the Aux is not one of them. As stated in the OP, I was hoping that beyond BT, that someone by now has come up with a USB option, which works great with thumb drives in my Escalade with FLACs even. Doubt if the HK could handle FLAC, but it does handle 320k MP3's just fine.

That said, to your other point, I do have a Zumo XT that I use with the Cardo Bold, when I wear a helmet, but the audio is far from great - I'd even go as far as saying disappointing. I'd much rather run my built up bike system, even with my helmet on.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 1,520 Posts

I use the mp3 player on my zumo 660 and find the sound quality as good as the recording lets it be. I Cant get playlist through the head unit but i have so much music i pick a folder, and shuffle makes sure i don't hear the same song for thousands of miles.
If someone would make a file reader for the HK a thumb drive would be sweet.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
I'd rather look forward and see if there are other options out there for a clean install. Running a cable to the Aux is not one of them.
If you weren't aware, you can modify the HD Harman-Kardon Advanced Audio System and install an AUX port on the rear of the radio. When I was using the HD radio, that's what I did. I was then able to run the audio out from the Garmin 660 GPS to the AUX input on the back of the radio, with the wire hidden.

https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/ha...vidson-stereo/

Old 08-19-2020, 11:15 AM
mrmagloo
Road Captain

Thanks for sharing this. Definitely worth looking into!

Quick Reply: USB Thumb Drive with 06-13 HK Head Unit?