Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Mmats? Convince me please

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Hale816
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Why Mmats? Convince me please

So I’ve been researching speakers non stop for a couple months now for our 2020 RGL. The one speaker that seems to get rave reviews is the Mmats 601cx. Obviously it takes some tweaking to get them to fit in the factory locations but everyone seems to love them. My question is why or what makes them so much better than the hundreds of other speakers on the market? I see they have big magnets which used to mean something but no so much with newer technology and magnet types now available. I also see they are considered loud with a 95db rating. I’ve been around water sports And powersports for years and have used Polk, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, and Wet Sounds in many different applications. Typically the higher dB gives you louder music out on the water but of those brands the Wet Sounds clearly out shined the rest, they were louder, cleaner, and more bass than any of the others and they were only a 90db speaker. So are the Mmats hands down the best at their price point or is there something comparable that fits the stock locations better?

Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Find someone who has a set and listen for yourself. You are right as there are tons of different speakers out there and some sound damn good and others just don't. The mmats are just a warm, loud speaker that doesn't require a bunch f power and ae extremely cost effective. Hertz cpx 165's will fill the holes but are 2x the price of the mmats. Daimond audio has some new pro coax out but at $380 a set vs the mmats at $200, you tell me which would you buy giving both have good SQ?

Old 07-14-2020, 11:48 PM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

As per them......

Temporarily Out of stock!
Due to high demand, get your pre-orders in soon.
New Stock due beginning of September!

Ouch!!

Old 07-15-2020, 04:34 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,593 Likes on 3,245 Posts

There are many speakers that will out shine the Mmat 601cx. Many of them have a higher price point or take more work to sound well. Not that it should be a deterrent to strive for better.

For a lot of audio upgrade folks that breeze through here, they are looking for economical and simple solutions. The 601cx fits that bill.

For folks that have higher expectations, budgets and willing to go the extra mile, there are options. Bottom line, 601cx's are the easy answer.

The following users liked this post:
Hale816 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Hale816
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SOFTPETER
As per them......

Temporarily Out of stock!
Due to high demand, get your pre-orders in soon.
New Stock due beginning of September!

Ouch!!
I saw that yesterday as well. That's one of my reasons for asking about them. I don't intend to wait till September for speakers so I'm hoping there's a comparable option that I'm unaware of.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 AM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Choices are limited right now in the audio industry due to tariffs and covid.
You will get what you get or pay super high prices. Most decent speakers in 6.5's are OOS.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:05 AM
jester0618
Road Captain

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 4 of the mmats on my bike now. I went to a sound warz and listened to several. Hertz, RF, etc. The mmats as discussed gave a much warmer sound to me for what I want. It's not a competition bike, but sounds great to my ears and the price point was great. Are there better? Absolutely, but it depends on what you want out of your bike. I'm looking at what Juice has in his fairing next. Ciares? Just to try something different and see if it appeals to my ears better.
Bottom line, go to a meet and listen to others. Just like exhaust, it's your ears that need to be satisfied, not the masses.

Hale816 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 10:30 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Hale816
Typically the higher dB gives you louder music out on the water but of those brands the Wet Sounds clearly out shined the rest, they were louder, cleaner, and more bass than any of the others and they were only a 90db speaker. So are the Mmats hands down the best at their price point or is there something comparable that fits the stock locations better?
Mmats have a 95db rating. I use Wet Sounds on my boat and love them. Loud and clear and bang. The problem is they don't fit in fairings. For a drop in, low required power and price of around $200, it's hard to beat the Mmats....... for now.

Hale816 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Hale816
I saw that yesterday as well. That's one of my reasons for asking about them. I don't intend to wait till September for speakers so I'm hoping there's a comparable option that I'm unaware of.
Im pretty sure there are some shops that have some in stock.

I ran the 601cx and 690cx on my previous bike with the stinger amp and loved it! For that price, right now they're hard to beat. Although the stinger amp prices right now are stupid and not worth the 300+.

I think I was all in for less that 1500 and that was counting 350 install including cutting my lids with the RF lid kit, installing the amp and front speakers and running all new wiring. Then sold the RF speakers for 100 to 150 I think.

Try audio advantage in SC for the speakers. They had some in stock last week.

Last edited by teedoff65; 07-15-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Hale816 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 AM
Hale816
Cruiser

I'm going to give the Mmats a shot. I found some online yesterday and bought 4 new PA601cx that are water treated. Now I just have to figure out what to power them with and piece everything together. Thanks for the replies, I didn't expect to hear any differently since I've read nothing but good things about them.

Quick Reply: Why Mmats? Convince me please