Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 30K headset intercom with Sena 20S

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM
El_Supremo
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HD 30K headset intercom with Sena 20S

The wife and I were using a pair of Sena 20S headsets with reasonable success until recently, when I bought a new 2020 RGS and 'upgraded' my headset to the HD 30K as part of the bike deal. Seems like we are back to square one on the intercom now. With the 20S's, we could tap the jog dial once and connect the headsets and talk. Speak loudly, and the music lowered and we would talk. When we stopped, the mic would close (most of the time) and the music volume would return to normal. My HD 30K and her Sena 20S paired normally, but now if one of us initiates the intercom by tapping the jog dial, the music stops completely and the mic stays open until one of us taps the jog dial again to stop the intercom. In trying to fix this, I have read the poorly written manual over and over and can't get these two dongles playing nice like before. Manual mentions a universal intercom mode for non-Boom headsets, must I pair the two in this way? The default pairing method seemed to work.

Anyone else got a setup like this - HD headset and Sena headset - working in a manner where the intercom functions as expected? Wife is due for a new headset, I was planning on getting a Sena-branded 30K for her and avoid the HD tax since she is on a Heritage (no Boom audio), but if all will be right in the world with 2 HD-branded headsets, I'll gladly pay the HD tax.

Thanks for any pointers!

Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Have you plugged your new headset into the computer and run it through the Sena Device Manager setup? Or you can use the Sena 30k utility app on iphone/android. You can change all sorts of settings in there. It's possible the default configuration of the 30k is different than the 20s.

Other than that, I'd look starting at page 76, section "Audio Multitasking" in the manual: https://www.sena.com/product/30k/documents
Page 77 has the audio overlay settings and volume adjustments for audio multitasking

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-28-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:00 AM
El_Supremo
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have plugged the 30K into the computer and reviewed all settings, yes. Wouldn't work with the Sena software, had to use the HD version but I got it working and have set the two up as similar as possible.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:11 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 130 Posts

Has anyone successfully used the HD Boom Audio30 K and a Sena branded 20SEVO for intercom? I think I tried every setting and can get intercom functions to work...'
I have both units paired to the head unit
intercom is on
vox is on

this is frustrating!
Anyone?

Old 04-04-2022, 03:08 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something after reading this thread but the headsets don't pair to the radio. They pair to a WHIM or a Freewire for functionality with the bike comms and radio (you don't need a Harley 30K for the Freewire). Doing this with a Sena headset only provides mono sound. This is what you would do if both are on the same bike. Well, I suppose technically you might pair her headset to a WHIM or Freewire if she's on her own bike but not typically as I don't know what the range of the WHIM or Freewire would be.

Typically, if you are each on your own bikes you would pair your headset to a WHIM or Freewire for use with your radio and then pair both headsets together as you used to do for bike-to-bike comms

If you don't have a WHIM or Sena Freewire then just pair the 2 headsets together as you used to do.

Last edited by hamah; 04-04-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:27 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 222 Likes on 130 Posts

On the Boom Audio GTS you pair to the WHIM thru the Boom GTS head unit.
Last night I tried intercom by pairing headsets and going thru head unit for music and tapping jog dial for intercom. The result was music volume would not reduce on the 20s so no intercom heard, Boom 30k worked but music shut off completely as opposed to lowering the volume.
Removed whim pair on 20s and paired it with phone only. As expected intercom worked but iPhone can’t provide music to it if iPhone is also connected to head unit.

I now think the answer is she pairs 20s to her own music source and we tap the jog dial to talk….20s with Sean firmware doesn’t seem to want to provide all functions thru the head unit.
I was considering putting the oem.sena firmware on the Sena 20s to see what happens but would hate to brick it

Old 04-05-2022, 05:29 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 373 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy1389
On the Boom Audio GTS you pair to the WHIM thru the Boom GTS head unit.
Well, in a fashion you're correct but actually, the Bluetooth pairing of a headset is done directly to the WHIM and controlled/configured by the HU. The Boom! HUs don't have all the Bluetooth profiles needed to support a headset natively (only a Bluetooth connected media streaming device and phone)

Originally Posted by Fatboy1389
I now think the answer is she pairs 20s to her own music source and we tap the jog dial to talk
I agree

Old 04-15-2022, 01:45 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Hook your headset up to the computer through USB and change your settings. You can adjust whether the music shuts off during intercom or just turns down, etc.