Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound quality ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Clayton24
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Clayton if you get to the point to where you take your sled audio fairly seriously at some point in time you will need to get a DSP and learn how to use it. I know not everyone has or wants one but there really is no substitute for the options and adjustability that a DSP brings to the table.

If you are concerned about weather resistance and keeping your Ultra features I would say get a DSP and learn to tune it yourself. Start by making small 2 to 3 db adjustments, always subtracting instead of adding whenever possible. The Arc PSM DSP has a voltage adjustment feature which comes in handy with that RF amp.

That brings another subject up, your amp. I found out with my own tinkering that the RF TM400x4ad just doesn't have enough wattage to really push a set of 6x9 speakers in the lids. If you just want better than stock it will do it, but it will not give you good meaty sound, it just ain't got the oomph.

So in looking at your system as a whole, you have an amp that is a little weak. Plugging a fancy new head unit into that amp ain't gonna help much. Also remember since you have an Ultra you will lose CB, intercom, bluetooth connection to your phone to make and receive calls through the wired headsets, and other Harley specific features.

So realistically taking a step back I would suspect a nicer amp would be the easiest thing for you to try. If that don't do it for you then decide if you are willing to give up the factory Harley features and ruggedness of the head unit. If so get the Sony kit. If not try a DSP.
i realy see what your saying especialy about the amp i installed a stinger 700 in my brothers bike honestley i feel my rockford amp is lacking compared to the stinger in power the amp could be the ticket and a dsp i can prob manage the dsp myself i hate to give up the water proofness of the oe hu i may try a diffrent amp first . Then maybe the dsp im sure will come later . I realy appreciate your help i feel your spot on with it all . To teedoff65 i just feel it could be better at 3/4 volume as far as clarity

Last edited by Clayton24; 05-27-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old 05-27-2020, 05:42 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayton24
i realy see what your saying especialy about the amp i installed a stinger 700 in my brothers bike honestley i feel my rockford amp is lacking compared to the stinger in power the amp could be the ticket and a dsp i can prob manage the dsp myself i hate to give up the water proofness of the oe hu i may try a diffrent amp first . Then maybe the dsp im sure will come later . I realy appreciate your help i feel your spot on with it all . To teedoff65 i just feel it could be better at 3/4 volume as far as clarity
replace that amp and see how much that improves your sound before thinking about a new hu or dip. You might be pleasantly surprised

Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,587 Likes on 3,244 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Why do you think your current setup lacks sound quality?

I running just an amp with two 601cx in the fairing and the 690cx in my lids off the stock HU. I think the sound quality is pretty good. Not sure how much better it would be with a dsp, but i doubt its worth the 200 bucks for a dsp.
I'll just say this, now that I've had a dsp, I wouldn't ever go without one. They make that much of a difference.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Thats the feeling im getting
im sure i'll want both its like hp / tq always want more lol!

Last edited by Clayton24; 05-27-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Add to the post
Old 05-27-2020, 06:25 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I'll just say this, now that I've had a dsp, I wouldn't ever go without one. They make that much of a difference.
dang you! Lol

Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
dang you! Lol
Dsp makes a works of difference and if you go with the Dayton
it will be less than $200 and for sure would be worth it.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Ok i think its a plan better amp and dsp ! I realy appreciate everyones help . Im pretty sure i can figure the dsp out i kno its a diffrent game but im realy familiar with electronics an so forth my occupation is auto diagnostics and programming i use lab scopes an so forth on a weekly basis for the last 20 years it will take sum learnin but i think i'll get the hang of it .

Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Good plan...

Old 05-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

That Rockford is a good amp if it stays in its wheelhouse. It has a warm sound and the EQ adjustments are really cool. I just think it is best used for fairing speakers and not as a whole system amp. The bugaboo with that scenario is it spews out some RF interference that can trash FM reception in some cases. The Stinger amp reportedly is kind to FM but it really is not any more powerful than the RF. It is a good amp but still as the heart of an entire audio system with 6x9s it is lacking as well.

Clayton what you might be able to do on the cheap is bridge the Rockford amp and feed just the 6x9s with it. The EQ adjustments may help you dodge the DSP for a bit. Then get another amp for just the fairing speakers. That bridged Rockford would give you 200 watts for your 6x9s which should do pretty good. Rockford also makes a two channel version of the amp you have with EQ adjustments that would do good for your fairing speakers.

These are just suggestions if you want to dodge the DSP though. If you just want to keep the four speakers you have maybe a basic DSP and a Cerwin Vega B52 for the 6x9s and a budget two channel for your fairing speakers.

These are just ramblings so don't take them too seriously. What I like may not be good for you. I guess the main thing with your setup now is 100 watts just ain't enough to push a set of 6x9s that are behind you and competing with exhaust noise.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 PM
Clayton24
Club Member

Yes sir im following everything your saying ! I think if i drop a decent amount for the amp scenario then later go to the next step im figuring a decent amp will be a step in the right direction forsure.

Quick Reply: Sound quality ?