Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge and I mean HUGE increase in sound quality...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:16 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Huge and I mean HUGE increase in sound quality...

Howdy all,

I've had this Geezer Glide (2010 U.C.) for a few years now and have done lots of upgrades to the audio so I could hear it better out on the highway. One thing I have always been fighting against is the LAF exhaust noise from the Rinehart True Duals that came on the bike when I bought it. With a full height windshield bouncing that noise back into my face it was louder than the 2" drag pipes on my Shovelhead at highway speeds.

Fortunately the guy I bought the bike from also gave me the stock exhaust header and Screamin' Eagle mufflers that he originally had the bike set up with. I ripped off the Rineharts and put that stock system back on and holy crap what a difference.

I don't have to turn the stereo up nearly as loud to hear it clearly and I hear much more of the music. Sound quality is a whole lot better. I hear the background instruments in any song much clearer. As a side note I can also hear other vehicles on the road which is pretty cool. Before a Fruehauf could be on my back fender and I wouldn't know.

I guess it's compounded problem. We get bikes with loud pipes then make the stereo louder so we can hear it and wind up tuning out the whole world. It don't sound too bad until the hours go by. All that noise really wears on you after a while. I guess I've been riding loud bikes for over 35 years so I never new any different. Kind of a nice change. Even gettin down on it don't make as much noise as just steady cruising used to.

I guess if someone only has the one bike it is tempting to make sure it "sounds like a Harley", but with two other noisy paint shakers in the stable I think I'll leave the Geezer Glide in the quiet gentleman mode. for now.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

When I upgraded my exhaust to a 2 into 1 performance pipe, I chose the Supertrapp pipe so my stereo wouldn't have to compete the pipes. Even my Flat Top LRS windshield was picked to help eliminate wind noise to benefit the audio system.
Even a good audio system can use a little help.