Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mic with Sony 7000 & CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 PM
ReDo
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Mic with Sony 7000 & CarPlay?

As I understand it, I can’t use CarPlay and a bluetooth headset/mic paired with the phone with my Sony 7000. So, has anyone had any luck with a mounted wired mic, either the one that comes with the HU or another one? I’m not holding my breath, but it sure would be cool. to have a noise cancelling mic and be able to use voice commands with CarPlay. Got a little spoiled with the GTS and WHIM I guess.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

If I understand what you’re saying, you are incorrect. I have the Sony 7000 and I have a Bluetooth headset paired to my phone. Using the Bluetooth headset works just like you would expect it to with Siri and CarPlay.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:35 PM
ReDo
Tourer

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
If I understand what you’re saying, you are incorrect. I have the Sony 7000 and I have a Bluetooth headset paired to my phone. Using the Bluetooth headset works just like you would expect it to with Siri and CarPlay.
Really?!

Maybe I was misinformed. I hadn’t actually tried it because I was told that it wouldn’t work before I even bought the Sony.

Im going to try it a little later.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:03 PM
ReDo
Tourer

@BrandonSmith - I must be doing something wrong.

Are you saying that with your phone plugged into the USB1 of your Sony, with CarPlay engaged and music playing from your phone through your Sony and motorcycle audio you can use voice commands through the headset to make/receive calls, tell Siri to get you directions that then show on the Sony screen, send voice texts, etc.?

Old 05-25-2020, 06:58 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by jcslim
@BrandonSmith - I must be doing something wrong.

Are you saying that with your phone plugged into the USB1 of your Sony, with CarPlay engaged and music playing from your phone through your Sony and motorcycle audio you can use voice commands through the headset to make/receive calls, tell Siri to get you directions that then show on the Sony screen, send voice texts, etc.?
yes, why would that not work? It’s the same as being in a car with a built in mic, or using any other headset with the phone walking down the street.

thats why I don’t understand why people spend a fortune on WHIM and HD SENA headsets with their stock head units. Just use your Bluetooth headset to control the phone, rather than spending $1000 to control the radio.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-25-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 PM
ReDo
Tourer

yes, why would that not work? It’s the same as being in a car with a built in mic, or using any other headset with the phone walking down the street.

thats why I don’t understand why people spend a fortune on WHIM and HD SENA headsets with their stock head units. Just use your Bluetooth headset to control the phone, rather than spending $1000 to control the radio.
It’s not just like being in a car/truck with the built-in mic... the built-in mic is plugged into the head unit whereas the bluetooth connection is paired to your phone. That’s why I’m asking if you have actually done it with full functionality. It’s essentially having two devices (Sony HU and Bluetooth) controlling your phone at once. In the car/truck only the HU is controlling your phone. I know that I can pair the phone to my headset, and I can plug the iPhone into the HU, but are you able to control the phone using voice commands to the phone that then translate to the actions within CarPlay? Specifically, can you engage Siri to set navigation directions while riding? Can you make phone calls and use voice to dictate test messages while riding?

I played with my HD branded Sena 20s this afternoon and couldn’t get the Bluetooth to control the phone while CarPlay was engaged. Engaging the headset moved the music playing to the Bluetooth headset speakers and I couldn’t engage Siri on the phone through the headset to tell her to get directions or call or text anyone. The calling features appeared to only be those available through the Sena to call preset people, for example.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I use it just fine as I described. Hell I was even my car with CarPlay going, turned on my Bluetooth earpiece and controlled Siri with that headset just as I would through the car or my sena helmet headset. I’ve had the same issues you described in the past, and you have to start the bike first, get CarPlay connected and once that’s all booted up, turn your headset on. Once that’s paired, it should work fine. But once you shut the bike off and turn the bike back in, you’ll have to turn your headset off and start all over again because CarPlay will want to ignore your headset again.

What I did to get around all that BS is to pair my Sena headset in “phone selective pairing” mode - which won’t allow music to play through the headset. By doing that, I’ve never had one issue. All the issues you described went away. It works flawlessly.

In short, do the following and hopefully your problems disappear:

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-25-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:31 PM
ReDo
Tourer

I use it just fine as I described. Hell I was even my car with CarPlay going, turned on my Bluetooth earpiece and controlled Siri with that headset just as I would through the car or my sena helmet headset. I’ve had the same issues you described in the past, and you have to start the bike first, get CarPlay connected and once that’s all booted up, turn your headset on. Once that’s paired, it should work fine. But once you shut the bike off and turn the bike back in, you’ll have to turn your headset off and start all over again because CarPlay will want to ignore your headset again.

What I did to get around all that BS is to pair my Sena headset in “phone selective pairing” mode - which won’t allow music to play through the headset. By doing that, I’ve never had one issue. All the issues you described went away. It works flawlessly.
Awesome! I’m going to try this again this week with this feedback.

Thank you!