Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PN4 1000d rear channel quit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 AM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default PN4 1000d rear channel quit?

Yesterday I tore down my system to add a second amp and two additional speakers in my lowers. This included running new power and ground to a distribution block and new speaker wires etc.
Bike is a 2011 FLHTCU
Amp in question PN4 1000d.
Speakers in question 2x MMATS PA601cx(fairing) & 2x DB WDX6MOTO G2s(lowers)

The amp has been working fine on 4 kickers prior to yesterdays work but now the rear two channels are not putting out sound. Front two seem fine. I did not have unlimited time to test every possible area due to having to work today. Here is what I did do. Verified the external fuses at the battery(60amp) and the distribution block (30amp x2 but one is not hooked up to the second amp yet) were intact. Verified the speakers work. All four work when attached to either front channel. All four do not have audio when attached to either rear channel. I verified that when attached to the rear channels the speakers are attached correctly. I verified that the new speaker wire ran from the lowers is intact and carries a signal by attaching them to the front channels with success. I removed my maze of RCAs to rule out any input issues and tested them separately all resulting in no output on the rear channels.

I'm not sure what else to check before ruling out a broken amp. Already...
There are two fuses inside the PN4 that I cannot see clearly enough without disassembling the amp which I did not do. Does anyone know if these fuses would affect each pair of output channels separately? i.e. if one fuse is blown, that corresponding channel would not work? I don't know how they would have blown. The last thing to be connected during the whole process was the fuse at the battery.

The amp powers on and powers the front channels fine. Or at least they appear to sound fine. The "Protection" light only lights up when the bike is first turned on but then turns off. I did not notice that in the past but that's not to say it hasn't done that. I don't know.

I am hoping to gain some insight on where to start when I get home in 10 hours. This whole rabbit hole of an audio system is trying my patience.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Front and rears have cycle the HP/LP switch a couple of times. I had that amp and i had the same issue.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:13 AM
glsec507
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Front and rears have cycle the HP/LP switch a couple of times. I had that amp and i had the same issue.
Now that you mention it, on my prior set up I had it set to full pass. After some discussion here I planned to change it to HP after this install so while hooking it all up I did push both front and rear to HP and finished connecting everything. You're saying to just toggle it a couple times and see if it resets itself?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by glsec507
Now that you mention it, on my prior set up I had it set to full pass. After some discussion here I planned to change it to HP after this install so while hooking it all up I did push both front and rear to HP and finished connecting everything. You're saying to just toggle it a couple times and see if it resets itself?
I had to do that every couple of months. Another member here told me to try it they had the same issue. Hope it helps.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:02 AM
glsec507
Tourer

I had to do that every couple of months. Another member here told me to try it they had the same issue. Hope it helps.
Fingers crossed it does the trick. Kind of annoying though. Thanks for the assist

Old 05-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

I dealt with it for about 1 1/2 years and then went with the Stinger.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:25 PM
glsec507
Tourer

I dealt with it for about 1 1/2 years and then went with the Stinger.
I may just do that anyway. This is my second PN4 now. First one the right front channel did not push the same voltages out as the left front so I sent it back and got another one.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

I got tired of the fix and wanted FM back. I ride a lot of Sundays and wanted to listen to NFL games. The Stinger is FM friendly. Other than that not much of an upgrade.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:16 PM
glsec507
Tourer

I got tired of the fix and wanted FM back. I ride a lot of Sundays and wanted to listen to NFL games. The Stinger is FM friendly. Other than that not much of an upgrade.
Other than less power what makes it not much of an upgrade? I'm ok with a lateral move as long as it's a more reliable option. I have heard the Stinger puts out better sound than the pn4.

Last edited by glsec507; 05-03-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:47 PM
BrysZ
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stinger

Can I ask which stinger amp you switched to?

Quick Reply: PN4 1000d rear channel quit?