Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 07:10 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Boom GTS Upgrade

Hi Guys!

I'm looking for some advice - I have a 2018 Ultra Classic with a Boom GT system. I use a Shoei Neotech 2 helmet, the Sena SRL headset and the Sena FreeWire. This setup works perfect. I just decided to up grade my Boom Box to the GTS system. I watch The Law Abiding Biker videos and am aware of the "hack" Ryan suggests to enable Car Play on the GTS without actually having a WHIM installed - this would probably work with my FreeWire setup. I also know this is not ideal - it's a work around. So, I'm considering installing a WHIM and buying a Harley stamped headset. The reason I didn't do this from the start is that I'm committed to the Neotech 2 helmet and love the integrated SRL system. The reason I'm considering this now, is because of the Car Play capability with the GTS and knowing the best way to use it to its full capability is with a wireless headset.

So my question(s) 1. Are any of you using the Boom GTS, a non-harley headset and a Sena FreeWire - if so, did you flash your bike for a Whim and did this enable Car Play and all the other functions? 2. Did any of you install a harley headset on a Neotech helmet, and if so are you happy with the fit and function? 3. And finally, if you have a Harley headset set, are you using a 20S or 30K - do they work well, are you happy with them? I've read a number of very mixed reviews.

Sorry for the long post - thank you for reading and any advice you can offer.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:25 PM
ReDo
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a 2018 Road Glide Special. I upgraded to the GTS, WHIM and a HD branded 20s. I run it on a 3/4 helmet and have been very happy with it. I listen to the music through the bike speakers but have had several phone conversations and voice texted with my wife at 70-80 mph on the highway. Sorry no experience with your other questions though.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:13 PM
ReDo
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rwtrick
Hi Guys!

I'm looking for some advice - I have a 2018 Ultra Classic with a Boom GT system. I use a Shoei Neotech 2 helmet, the Sena SRL headset and the Sena FreeWire. This setup works perfect. I just decided to up grade my Boom Box to the GTS system. I watch The Law Abiding Biker videos and am aware of the "hack" Ryan suggests to enable Car Play on the GTS without actually having a WHIM installed - this would probably work with my FreeWire setup. I also know this is not ideal - it's a work around. So, I'm considering installing a WHIM and buying a Harley stamped headset. The reason I didn't do this from the start is that I'm committed to the Neotech 2 helmet and love the integrated SRL system. The reason I'm considering this now, is because of the Car Play capability with the GTS and knowing the best way to use it to its full capability is with a wireless headset.

So my question(s) 1. Are any of you using the Boom GTS, a non-harley headset and a Sena FreeWire - if so, did you flash your bike for a Whim and did this enable Car Play and all the other functions? 2. Did any of you install a harley headset on a Neotech helmet, and if so are you happy with the fit and function? 3. And finally, if you have a Harley headset set, are you using a 20S or 30K - do they work well, are you happy with them? I've read a number of very mixed reviews.

In case you are interested, I decided today to pull my GTS head unit out to got with a Sony 7000. Going to lose the calling/texting through headset functionality, but I’m going much bigger on my sound system. PM me if you are interested in my GTS, WHIM and HD Sena 20s headset.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:41 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by rwtrick
Hi Guys!

I’m in the same boat as you with Neotec 2 and FreeWire and happy with both. I would also like to go to the GTS, already an expensive proposition, without ditching my existing Sena setup.