Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning/Taming Mmats PA601.4cx Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:51 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts
Default Tuning/Taming Mmats PA601.4cx Question

So over the winter I replaced my fairing speakers...went from Hertz HCX165's to the "Forum oft recommended" Mmats PA601.4cx. To be honest, for my purpose, the Hertz served me very well with no complaints. The main reason I switched up to the Mmats was they had a 20% discount (last Black Friday), plus I could get them with the water treatment. I was always somewhat concerned about the life of the Hertz in heavy rain situations. I know I could have treated the Hertz myself but thought...what the heck...the Mmats get great reviews and they're on sale.

Got them installed and the weather has finally been decent enough to get out for a couple of short rides. These Mmats are loud for sure, but from what I remember, compared to the Hertz they seem somewhat "harsh". Will they mellow some once they break in? I've got about 4-5 hours on them now. My set-up is a 2012 Ultra Classic with the stock HK HU with Iron Cross front/rear Preamp Outputs, Stinger SPX700X4 amp, Polk MM652's in the TP pods, and the Mmats in the fairing (lined with Dynamat).

Amp is set to 4CH and X-Over is set to HPF. Tuning has been by ear...HU set flat, volume at 3/4. Are the Mmats real sensitive to exact Freq setting on the amp? I'm currently at about 100, but if you're familiar with the Stinger amp, it's a tiny little dial that goes from 40 to 400 with no intermediate markings. Sens is at about 11 o'clock. I'm no audio expert (far from it) but with all the positive reviews these speakers get, I must be missing something here. Any advice?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:26 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

it's like mufflers people want loud with no regard for performance LOL sorry I'm of no help

Old 04-28-2020, 01:45 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mikes300
it's like mufflers people want loud with no regard for performance LOL sorry I'm of no help
HA! Yah...I'm beyond loud. Actually looking to quiet my exhaust some as well

Old 04-28-2020, 01:55 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
HA! Yah...I'm beyond loud. Actually looking to quiet my exhaust some as well
me too, my street cannon mufflers are just right for me. and I love the Hertz 1650.3 speakers I'm running in my fairing, they sound great and are plenty loud enough for me.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:56 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

So over the winter I replaced my fairing speakers...went from Hertz HCX165's to the "Forum oft recommended" Mmats PA601.4cx. To be honest, for my purpose, the Hertz served me very well with no complaints. The main reason I switched up to the Mmats was they had a 20% discount (last Black Friday), plus I could get them with the water treatment. I was always somewhat concerned about the life of the Hertz in heavy rain situations. I know I could have treated the Hertz myself but thought...what the heck...the Mmats get great reviews and they're on sale.

Got them installed and the weather has finally been decent enough to get out for a couple of short rides. These Mmats are loud for sure, but from what I remember, compared to the Hertz they seem somewhat "harsh". Will they mellow some once they break in? I've got about 4-5 hours on them now. My set-up is a 2012 Ultra Classic with the stock HK HU with Iron Cross front/rear Preamp Outputs, Stinger SPX700X4 amp, Polk MM652's in the TP pods, and the Mmats in the fairing (lined with Dynamat).

Amp is set to 4CH and X-Over is set to HPF. Tuning has been by ear...HU set flat, volume at 3/4. Are the Mmats real sensitive to exact Freq setting on the amp? I'm currently at about 100, but if you're familiar with the Stinger amp, it's a tiny little dial that goes from 40 to 400 with no intermediate markings. Sens is at about 11 o'clock. I'm no audio expert (far from it) but with all the positive reviews these speakers get, I must be missing something here. Any advice?
i have run and recommend the hcx 165’s forever but when they were discontinued and rumors of cheap copies being sold I couldn’t recommend them any more. The mmats get louder than the hxc’s but it is up to individual ears weather they sound better or not. I suggest you run them for a month or so and if you still think the hcx are better then put them back in and sell the mmats. You won’t have any problem
selling either set.

The following users liked this post:
lefty33 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:57 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

try ~80 and play with the gains. if that doesn't work reinstall the HCX.

lefty33 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:57 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 548 Likes on 445 Posts

The Mmats are going to be louder and harsher. You can lower your x-.over, but then you're not going to get the loudness.

You can't have loudness and warmth at the same time out of just a set of 6.5's.

lefty33 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:00 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by travelingypsye
i have run and recommend the hcx 165’s forever but when they were discontinued and rumors of cheap copies being sold I couldn’t recommend them any more. The mmats get louder than the hxc’s but it is up to individual ears weather they sound better or not. I suggest you run them for a month or so and if you still think the hcx are better then put them back in and sell the mmats. You won’t have any problem
selling either set.
Thanks gypsye!! Actually bought those HCX 165's from you Unfortunately I was a little hasty & sold them a couple of months ago. I had installed the Mmats and listened to them a bit in the garage and liked what I heard. A bit of a different story when throwing some volume at them out on the open road. Oh well...guess I'll play with them a bit more and with some more miles on them they may mellow some.

Just looking forward to warmer weather and getting out more. Heck...might even run into you again out in "somewhere" Tennessee...so random

Old 04-28-2020, 03:04 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by memphisharley
try ~80 and play with the gains. if that doesn't work reinstall the HCX.
Originally Posted by cshocker
The Mmats are going to be louder and harsher. You can lower your x-.over, but then you're not going to get the loudness.
Thanks men! Maybe I'll try them at 80 and see what they sound like. I don't mind giving up a bit of the loudness.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:46 PM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Thanks gypsye!! Actually bought those HCX 165's from you Unfortunately I was a little hasty & sold them a couple of months ago. I had installed the Mmats and listened to them a bit in the garage and liked what I heard. A bit of a different story when throwing some volume at them out on the open road. Oh well...guess I'll play with them a bit more and with some more miles on them they may mellow some.

Just looking forward to warmer weather and getting out more. Heck...might even run into you again out in "somewhere" Tennessee...so random
Ill be there next week. Give them mmats some running. You may back the gains down a bit to take the harshness away. I didn't look at who started the thread or this old man would have told you to leave it alone. haha

Quick Reply: Tuning/Taming Mmats PA601.4cx Question