Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody try the TX48 with the DB G2's or Mmats coax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Anybody try the TX48 with the DB G2's or Mmats coax?

Currently running the Mmats 601.4cx in the fairing and the DB Moto G2's in the lowers off the early Stinger that were only 100 watts.
i have a Massive TX48 kicking around and am thinking of trying it out on the Mmats and G2's.
How much power would a guy be good to feed those Mmats? Currently only feeding them 100 watts.
How much would you feed the DB G2's in the lowers?
They should be able to handle more than the Mmats which should work out well for balancing out the front stage.

My front stage sounds good and is fairly balanced, but would like to put a bit more power to the G2's at least.
​​​​

Old 04-21-2020, 04:15 PM
boosted20v
Tourer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Couldn't tell you how many watts they were getting but I ran 601 cx's off a TX48 and they sounded great.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:31 PM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Lets start with the type of music that you listen to.

A 6.5'' is only going to produce so much output(bass especially)
I think most folks are asking too much out of a 6.5'' full range speaker.
If you listen to mostly rock and roll you probably will be ok with running them full range.
If you lean towards more dynamic music, pop, edm, techno, hip hop. You do not want to run them full range.

The TX48 is a powerful amp and if setup correctly will serve you well.
Start off with the gains at half and the crossover at full range.
As you increase the volume on the radio you can raise the gains and if needed add the crossover to the desired level before the speaker distorts.
Play tons of different tracks from different sources to know your threshold.
Do that with each set. Your gains will probably be lower on the G2's as they are wayyy more efficient.
It should blow you away.

Let me know how it turns out.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by SOFTPETER

If you listen to mostly rock and roll you probably will be ok with running them full range.
If you lean towards more dynamic music, pop, edm, techno, hip hop. You do not want to run them full range.

As you increase the volume on the radio you can raise the gains and if needed add the crossover to the desired level before the speaker distorts.
Do that with each set. Your gains will probably be lower on the G2's as they are wayyy more efficient.
It should blow you away.
I am mostly Rock and Blues, but listen to a variety. ACDC, April Wine, Ozzy, GnR, Hendrix, Monster Truck, Kravitz, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Skynard, Dylan, Petty, The Band, John Lee Hooker, SRV, Santana, Tracy Chapman, etc.

I have the current settings dialed in fairly good with the Stinger, but I'm also using every ounce of it. I've got the x-over dialed in to give me some nice punch with both the Mmats and DB G2s
I've used the DD 1 to maximize clean output on the Stinger, but I find when I'm rolling down the highway at 80 mph I am running my system right on the threshold of it's capability with the Stinger. My Stinger is one of the earlier ones that only puts out 100 watts x 4.
Can't squeeze any more out of the Stinger, but figured I might be able to squeeze a little more out of the Mmats if I fed them a little more power. The G2's work great in the lowers with the Mmats. Even with the higher efficiency of the G2'S I've currently got the gains right around the same as the Mmats and the G2's could still use just a tad more volume. The G2's are louder in the parking lot, but are just a tad shy of balanced at 70 mph plus.

Figure I should be able to dial in the gains to get the full potential out of the Mmats with the TX 48, and have plenty of power to bring the gains on the G2's up to the perfect balance from the lowers.
Dayton DSP will be going in with the TX48 for tuning purposes. Also trying to squeeze the Stinger under the fairing as well to bridge to my speaker lids.
Once we get the front stage sorted, then I'm back to the drawing board on the Speaker lids, because they are already having trouble keeping up.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:59 PM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like a slamming setup!!
You are on your way.

The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Sounds like a slamming setup!!
You are on your way.
I think we have a decent plan to optimize the front stage with the gear I already have on hand.
Figure I'm probably good all the way up to 175 watts on the G2's.
Just not sure where my limits might be with those Mmats 601.4cx. I see they are rated for 100 Rms and 150 program.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:59 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,587 Likes on 3,244 Posts

The 601cx will take 150, but in my experience they do better at 125. I'll take the little less power for a little lower crossover point. The more you give them, the higher the crossover. I prefer the punchiness.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
The 601cx will take 150, but in my experience they do better at 125. I'll take the little less power for a little lower crossover point. The more you give them, the higher the crossover. I prefer the punchiness.
Sounds like a fair trade off. W​​​as planning on starting around 125 on the Mmats, good to hear they can handle a little boost over the 100 I was feeding them with the Stinger.

I know I could get fairly aggressive with the G2's but I was being a bit conservative with the Mmats because I couldn't hear them well enough on the highway to know if they were struggling in the lowers.
I've been running them in the fairing with the Stinger the last couple days and they have been sounding great. Looking forward to installing the TX48, hopefully it doesn't lead to any magic smoke.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:08 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

It should blow you away.

Well I have been running the Mmats PA601.4cx in the fairing and the DB Moto G2s in the lowers most of the summer off the TX48. Its been rocking pretty damn good. The Stinger was definitely warmer sounding than the TX48, but the extra power from the TX48 is a fair trade off. Much more volume. It slams pretty good. The DBs blend well from the lowers with the Mmats. I'll be looking forward to doing a bit more fine tuning next time I'm in the batwing. I have no doubt I can bring the gains up a bit more. Still fine tuning things, but glad I a Dayton DSP as well.

Biggest challenge now is trying to find some speaker lids that can do the front stage justice. The JL 8.8" sound good in the parking lot off the Stinger bridged, but they get lost pretty easy once the bike is rolling.

​​​​​

Old 09-19-2020, 08:55 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

When I first got to tinkering with lid speakers they got lost in the wind as well. Adjusting the fader towards the rear helped a little bit, but in the end more power was what was needed. I don't know how much power your 8.8s can handle, but I'm sure others can advise.

Now that I am feeding it properly my rear stage can keep up with the front no matter what the speed.

Quick Reply: Anybody try the TX48 with the DB G2's or Mmats coax?