Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020 | 12:06 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by glsec507
Mine is actually flipped already so maybe that will help out. When I get back in there I'll try this. Do you recall of your amp rode about a 1/2 inch above the HU? The verticle support rails have an indent just above the HU so is the whole amp resting on those indents? Also is it fairly obvious what parts of the plastic need trimmed away? Thank you BTW. I am fairly certain I've seen this pic in prior posts but I wasn't able to open it to a viewable size from those posts.
I used to have the SS amp mounted on top of my Sony HU in my 05 Ultra. Had it laying flat. Had to raise it up about a half inch. I just used a piece of board I had laying around. Just used Velcro to attach everything. I also trimmed the fairing plastic near the bottom of the gauges to allow me to push the amp back a little further.
Put a spacer board under your amp to raise it up above the indent on the fairing brackets. Slide the amp back until it hits the gauge housing. You should be able to see which part of the gauge mount will need to be trimmed. I didn't have to actually trim anything on the gauge itself.

Old 04-21-2020 | 12:10 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

I win!!!
Moved a lot more around and kept the amp in the same orientation. Fairing slides right on. Thanks for all the pics and advice.

Great job on re-routing the wires.

The following users liked this post:
glsec507 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020 | 08:41 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I basically unplugged every plug coming off that bundle and the reroute all those legs down and off to the side under the HU.
Cool I've seen that done before but didn't know how folks pulled it off. On the two amps I have had under the fairing the outer shell would just barely touch that wiring bundle when I put it on so mine is still up top. Probably a good thing because I have my CB module, DSP, GPS power supply, two PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolators, an iPod module, a Bluetooth module, and a PAC TR04 low voltage trigger module under the head unit.

Old 04-21-2020 | 08:47 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
Cool I've seen that done before but didn't know how folks pulled it off. On the two amps I have had under the fairing the outer shell would just barely touch that wiring bundle when I put it on so mine is still up top. Probably a good thing because I have my CB module, DSP, GPS power supply, two PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolators, an iPod module, a Bluetooth module, and a PAC TR04 low voltage trigger module under the head unit.
Can you feel all that extra weight when turning? Sheesh!?

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:07 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Can you feel all that extra weight when turning? Sheesh!?
Heh, I actually probably don't have much more weight under there than you do now. I switched amps to an Arc Moto 600.4. That SS amp weighs a ton. I think that may be why it is such a good unit and stands up to abuse. I can definitely feel the weight when I remove my clutch side saddlebag where it is residing now.

I regained a lot of space and FM reception when I went with the Arc amp. With your aftermarket head unit though you may not lose much FM reception. If you are running four ohm loads the Arc actually plays just a little louder and cleaner than the SS amp does, but it is pricey. If you have lower impedance speakers though the SoundStream really shines.

Here is a pic of my current build after adding the iPod module. What I did was remove the bluetooth and iPod modules from their boxes and sealed them in bags and wrapped them in Tessa tape. I then extended their wiring harnesses so I could tuck them behind the wiring beside the clutch side speaker. The two of them actually take up less space now than one module would still in its box.

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:11 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Heh, I actually probably don't have much more weight under there than you do now. I switched amps to an Arc Moto 600.4. That SS amp weighs a ton. I think that may be why it is such a good unit and stands up to abuse. I can definitely feel the weight when I remove my clutch side saddlebag where it is residing now.

I regained a lot of space and FM reception when I went with the Arc amp. With your aftermarket head unit though you may not lose much FM reception. If you are running four ohm loads the Arc actually plays just a little louder and cleaner than the SS amp does, but it is pricey. If you have lower impedance speakers though the SoundStream really shines.

Here is a pic of my current build after adding the iPod module. What I did was remove the bluetooth and iPod modules from their boxes and sealed them in bags and wrapped them in Tessa tape. I then extended their wiring harnesses so I could tuck them behind the wiring beside the clutch side speaker. The two of them actually take up less space now than one module would still in its box.

More creative than I would be haha. What's the fabric behind the speakers for?

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:43 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

What's the fabric behind the speakers for?
Quilt batting or polyfil as some folks call it. That coupled with the noico sound dampening material on the inner surface of the fairing cap help give a slightly warmer sound.

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:46 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Quilt batting or polyfil as some folks call it. That coupled with the noico sound dampening material on the inner surface of the fairing cap help give a slightly warmer sound.
Ahh. The more you know! (im not taking my fairing back off for awhile lol)

Old 04-21-2020 | 10:59 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Ahh. The more you know! (im not taking my fairing back off for awhile lol)
That's what we all used to say.
I had mine apart twice this week already, and probably opening it up once more.

Old 04-21-2020 | 10:59 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
That's what we all used to say.
I had mine apart twice this week already, and probably opening it up once more.
Shhhhh

Quick Reply: Fairing fitment