Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020 | 10:55 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
glsec you may have better luck by turning the amp around like I did. If I recall the power and speaker wire plugs are positioned closer to one end than the other. The frame rails play a role in how far that thing will slide back. They were so close to my RCA plugs that I had to make a set of right angle plugs on one of my patch cables to get them to plug in. Here is a pic that shows what I mean:

Orientation of the amp came into play when I moved my PN4.1000d to the rear of my bike. I wanted to place it on the forward facing edge of the saddlebag because that's where my previous rear amp was. It just wouldn't fit on the brake side bag which was where I was mocking it up because the power and speaker terminals hit the support channel on that bag. When I removed the amp that was in the clutch side bag and tried it in there I found that the terminals missed the support (it was off center) and it dropped down enough for the lid to close properly.

Maybe someone who has mounted the amp in the orientation that you are doing will have some more info, but one way or another it looks like it needs to go back farther. A lot of folks have shorter head units which allows them to angle the amp downward a bit which helps a lot. It looks like with the length of your head unit you do not have that option.
Yeah it's the Aquatic so it's no shorter than stock. I check into flipping it around again. Dang I thought I had it far enough back. Back to the drawing board.
Thank!

Old 04-18-2020 | 10:56 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Reason it is slightly crooked is due to the rcas hitting the support bracket.
Yep, if your RCA plugs cannot get behind the support bracket then the amp is too far forward. Some guys bend the brackets but I just made a set of flush mount RCA plugs by cutting the ends off of one of my cables, nibbling the strain relief plastic away and soldering them back on. Here is a pic:

There may be pre-made right angle RCA plugs that will clear the support but I couldn't find any.

Old 04-18-2020 | 11:01 AM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Yep, if your RCA plugs cannot get behind the support bracket then the amp is too far forward. Some guys bend the brackets but I just made a set of flush mount RCA plugs by cutting the ends off of one of my cables, nibbling the strain relief plastic away and soldering them back on. Here is a pic:

There may be pre-made right angle RCA plugs that will clear the support but I couldn't find any.

Going that route they have held up no problem?

Old 04-18-2020 | 11:07 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

I got mine to fit with the RCA plugs on the left. I did have to disconnect the wire bundle pins from the support brackets. I then rerouted them on top of the amp but still lower than the gauges.

Old 04-18-2020 | 11:24 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

Going that route they have held up no problem?
Yeah they held up well. I used good flux when I soldered the connections and cleaned off the residue so it wouldn't corrode. I then coated the solder connections with silicone and let it dry for support and insulation. I only had to make one pair, the forward set of RCA jacks allowed the plugs to just clear the support. Be sure to tune it good before you secure the amp, if I remember correctly one set of adjustments winds up being behind that support rail.

From what Jack said turning the amp around might be the ticket. I never mounted it with the RCA jacks on the clutch side so I don't know what would be required to get it back far enough the way you have it now. I suspect similar methods would be needed though.

Old 04-18-2020 | 01:31 PM
glsec507
|
Tourer

I win!!!
Moved a lot more around and kept the amp in the same orientation. Fairing slides right on. Thanks for all the pics and advice.

The following 2 users liked this post by glsec507:
Bluesman280 (04-21-2020), Hoyt 1911A1 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 02:05 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member

How do you like the sound?

Old 04-18-2020 | 02:15 PM
glsec507
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
How do you like the sound?
Well all I know right now is it's fricken loud. Gonna take it out here shortly and give it a good test but from the echo chamber of my garage it's a major improvement over stock.

The following users liked this post:
Fireball Jack (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 05:37 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

You done real good there. Where did you put that big bundle of wire that was above the amp? I never moved mine but I have seen folks do it.

I'll say that amp is one of the best buys on the market as far as watts per dollar. I like that it has built in protection features and doesn't get hot. If you get crazy with the gains or have a short it will shut itself off to protect itself and your speakers. As I mentioned I have mine closed up in a saddlebag cranking some 2.7 ohm 6x9s and a couple of 4 ohm 6.5s in the rear pods and it still barely gets warm.

Old 04-18-2020 | 05:44 PM
glsec507
|
Tourer

You done real good there. Where did you put that big bundle of wire that was above the amp? I never moved mine but I have seen folks do it.

I'll say that amp is one of the best buys on the market as far as watts per dollar. I like that it has built in protection features and doesn't get hot. If you get crazy with the gains or have a short it will shut itself off to protect itself and your speakers. As I mentioned I have mine closed up in a saddlebag cranking some 2.7 ohm 6x9s and a couple of 4 ohm 6.5s in the rear pods and it still barely gets warm.
I basically unplugged every plug coming off that bundle and the reroute all those legs down and off to the side under the HU. I then shoved that main bundle under the gauges. It's almost the perfect fit since it's a tight squeeze. The gauges held it in place. I then just butted the amp up to it and got creative with the rest of the wiring getting most of it under the HU. Just a couple thousand zip ties later

Quick Reply: Fairing fitment