Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony XAV-AX7000, sealing for weather, did you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:53 AM
flippinhd
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sony XAV-AX7000, sealing for weather, did you?

Okay I have searched, I have watched video's after video's.
Did you that installed this unit protect the backside or inner fairing side. Cover it, whether you made it yourself or aftermarket? It concerns me just a bit to cover with plastic the back side in case of overheating unit?

Did you do more for the outer face with cover's or just possible do a home remedy and something you made at home to just slap on when you run into rain?

Thanks, this section is awesome for help 100%

The following users liked this post:
Darrin Bennett (01-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 PM
ScreamingSkulls
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The only thing I did was throw a small cutting board/plastic on the top for any run off.

The following 2 users liked this post by ScreamingSkulls:
Johnny Goodlife (03-31-2023), SLV (04-07-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM
flippinhd
Cruiser

Thank you very much, mine just arrived today. Bike is prepped and ready to drop in when I get home tonight. Again thanks

Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM
flippinhd
Cruiser

Okay install is done and complete. Could not be happier. With Sony HU and Scosche complete install plug n play it was one of the easiest installs. I even did the Firmware upgrade to the latest with no issue's at all. All EQ setting done, ran it ACC only and also with bike running and at 2500 RPM's. Handle bar controls work great and with the Scosche there is no setup with the handle bar control module. It is truly plug and play/works. Raining for the next day or 2, so have not seen the Android Auto actually track me and see it work on screen but it is there. I guess for me now I have control of my audio system and not having to worry about Flash this, Flash that syndrome. WIth the BT 2180 amp by level 17 it handled clarity at 2500 rpm's. Clarity remained all the way up to 30 and there was no reason to go any further. So thank you too all members, especially the one's that chimed in or even allowed me to contact them directly. VERY MUCH appreciated.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:20 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Awesome, I just installed mine 5 minutes ago. Just the head unit right now. I never realized how many gaping holes there are into the fairing until I started to worry about getting water in there... I might pick up some 3M butyl weather stripping tape. All along the shield, the vent, the screen... so many gaps. I like the cutting board idea too.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:54 PM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

sorry to bump an old thread, but I take it everyone has this gap? I never noticed it on the 5000. I have some peel and stick 1/4" gasket, but it's white....not that color matters to me.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:31 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I have the gap. Saw it once and never noticed it again.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Mxpilot
Road Captain
Received 536 Likes on 203 Posts

Bought a Dickys cover for the front side (inner fairing) for washing and just in case of getting caught in the rain. Tech who installed mine thinks there’s little to no chance of it getting wet inside the fairing. When I look at it, I tend to agree, but may look again now that some of you mention it.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:43 PM
flippinhd
Cruiser

I just cut a thin piece of plexiglass we had at work and keep it and tape in the bags so I am ready just in case. 1 min. on or 1 min. off, no real issue. Agreed hell my bike had no dust or dirt even in the fairing area so not much gets in there. Hell I have so much stuff literally stuffed in the fairing now LMAO not worried about it plus a small black trash bag cut down to size and tape will care of the heavy downpours.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

This is what I did. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...rotection.html
I’ve had water inside the fairing plenty of times. After I installed my weather protection I rode in a good storm. When I got home I pulled the fairing off and there was moisture in the fairing. All around the windshield are gaps especially to the left and right of it. The vent in the fairing has gaps too.

The following users liked this post:
Timberjkd (04-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Sony XAV-AX7000, sealing for weather, did you?