Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to build kit on SD 1200.4S EVO....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020 | 01:10 PM
canuck_flhtk
|
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking to build kit on SD 1200.4S EVO....

New 2019 FLHTK and looking for a slight upgrade from the traditional Stinger/mmats kit. After quite a bit of research I picked up a SD 1200.4S EVO (4 ohm) as the the basis for my kit and hoping to leverage the expertise here to help me build the rest. Have about $1,000 left in my budget to complete the install. Here are my questions....
  1. fairing speakers? ​​​​​​
  2. lower speakers?: Picking up Hogtunes adaptors for LC Lowers. these have roughly 2.5" depth. Had them on previous 2017 FLHTK and decent quality product.
  3. Not too concerned about tourpak:. It's detachable and throw it on for long tours and passengers. Simply looking for the 4 speakers to run off the front L/R channels.
  4. DSP versus BT LL?: have tried both...a low end DSP (<$100) and BT LL on previous FLHTK. I found that LLs really reduced the volume. My research is pointing me to AA PSM DSP which seems a little pricey but would extend the budget if necessary.
  5. Amp tray: Seen another thread recommending J&M tray for this amp. Pricing comes in at $160 for stamped SS sheet metal. Am i missing something or is there an lower cost alternative?
Many thanks in advance. Been lurking on this thread for quite some time and the expertise is impressive.

Old 03-26-2020 | 02:27 PM
c_mancuyas8
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you wanting to go more of the pro audio route or coaxial? I saw you mentioned a dsp so I'm assuming pro audio. If you do you'll want at least one pair of horns but you'll need a small amp to power those, unless you decide on a pro audio coax, some of those can be pricey though

Old 03-27-2020 | 09:17 AM
Chopper Man
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought the same amp. I’ve already got my speakers installed. I found this on here and I already contacted him. Said they are suppose to have some trays available soon. Best price and I believe he’s a sponsor on this site

Old 03-27-2020 | 09:27 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

You are defiantly going to need the JL amp tray
I would recommend the DSP route over the LL as you will get to control the sound quality to each speaker vs a "can sound" that the LL will give you
Last with the speakers it really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve in sound quality and what you're willing to spend, clearly the better sound will come from better speakers, which may also require a separate set of tweeters and a separate amp to power them in the fairing
You have invested a lot in your amp, you will want speakers that work well with that amp - otherwise it's like putting a big block engine under your hood and not matching your wheels/tires to get the power to the ground & you will be left disappointed

Old 03-27-2020 | 11:22 AM
canuck_flhtk
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chopper Man
I just bought the same amp. I’ve already got my speakers installed. I found this on here and I already contacted him. Said they are suppose to have some trays available soon. Best price and I believe he’s a sponsor on this site
Thanks Chopper! They ship to Canada which is a bonus. The US$40 savings converts to CAD$58. Much appreciated.

Old 03-27-2020 | 11:35 AM
canuck_flhtk
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMC22
You are defiantly going to need the JL amp tray
I would recommend the DSP route over the LL as you will get to control the sound quality to each speaker vs a "can sound" that the LL will give you
Last with the speakers it really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve in sound quality and what you're willing to spend, clearly the better sound will come from better speakers, which may also require a separate set of tweeters and a separate amp to power them in the fairing
You have invested a lot in your amp, you will want speakers that work well with that amp - otherwise it's like putting a big block engine under your hood and not matching your wheels/tires to get the power to the ground & you will be left disappointed
Thanks for the input...DSP seems to be the way to go. As for speakers, that's exactly where my head is at...looking for high quality coaxial speakers in the $300 - $400/pr range but afraid to pull the trigger. To add to it, I want to get it right especially for the fairing as I only want to remove the speaker pods once. Stuck in paralysis by analysis. Narrowed it down to these...
  • Arc Audio Moto602-HD
  • WDX6MOTO-G2
  • HERTZ HCX 165
  • Alpine R-S65.2