Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena 20S, iPhone and BoomBox

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020 | 04:28 AM
solouncapitano
|
Intermediate
Question Sena 20S, iPhone and BoomBox

Good morning everyone,
I have Ultra Limited m.y. 2020; I wonder if it's possible to use this configuration to make and receive calls.

--- NO WHIM installed ---
1) iPhone paired to Sena 20s Evo (not HD branded)
2) iPhone paired to BommBox GTS (running latest firmware)

The problem is that when I make or receive calls the audio is not coming inside the headset.
Is it necessary/mandatory the WHIM module ?
- If not how is the correct configuration to make it works ?
- If yes, is there any hacks/work-around to bypass the WHIM itself?

Thanks for your help

Old 03-04-2020 | 05:26 AM
ReDo
Tourer

You either need a WHIM or Sena Freewire. The WHIM/Freewire plugs into the head unit (WHIM inside the fairing wiring harness, Freewire can be mounted wherever you want and plugs into your wired headset plug) and the headset pairs with the WHIM/Freewire wirelessly. The head unit doesn’t have the ability to pair directly to a Bluetooth headset (stupid, I know). The non HD Sena 20s will pair with the WHIM but you won’t get stereo sound with the non HD headset and WHIM. You get stereo headset audio with either HD Sena headsets and WHIM - OR - Non HD headsets and the Freewire from Sena.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2020 | 07:05 AM
Miclog
Intermediate
Veteran: Army

I actually copied this from another post, and unfortunately I did not copy the name of the poster. I apologize, perhaps the op of this will chime in.

Finally got it all figured out. After months of reading, watching videos, and a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out the secret to getting CarPlay and Mesh communication to work with a non Sena wireless headset. It is late but I will try my best to post as much detail as possible. Let's first start with a little background.

I have a 2019 CVO Street Glide with CarPlay and a Cardo Pack Talk Bold Bluetooth headset. My bike also came with a Harley Davidson branded Sena 20s; which is for sale by the way. My goal was to not use the Sena 20s for several reasons.
  • my buddies and I already invested in the Cardo Pack Talk Bold
  • The Cardo Pack Talk Bold supports mesh communication mode and the Sena 20s does not
  • The Cardo Pack Talk Bold is a much more feature enriched device than the Sena 20sf
Everyone knows by know that CarPlay requires your phone to be connected to the USB port of your bike and that either a wired or wireless headset be connected. The only way you can pair a wireless headset is by having a WHIM installed on your bike. The Bluetooth functionality of every radio that Harley has ever used does not include wireless headset profiles. I was very excited to have CarPlay functionality on my new bike so as soon as I got I went to work getting everything paired, connected, and plugged in - simple right? Wrong!

I first paired my phone to the bike since I wanted to be able to listen to my music through the bike's kick*ss speaker system. I then paired my Cardo Pack Talk Bold to the WHIM and also paired it to my iPhone (this is how I did worked on my previous 6.5 GT Street Glide). Music played perfectly through the speakers. I was able to make and receive phone calls using the voice button on the bike or using the voice control of the Cardo Pack Talk Bold by saying 'Hey Siri'. The issue came when I tried communicating with my buddies while in mesh mode. Just a quick side note for those of you who do not know, mesh mode is a cutting edge communication mode used that is far superior to Bluetooth. I could go on and on about this but I will save this for a later discussion. As soon as I disabled the rider headset on the settings in the GTS radio, I could instantly communicate with my buddies but then I lost CarPlay functionality due to the fact that I no longer had a wireless microphone connected. Let the sweat and tears begin.

I tried a myriad of options including taking my bike to the dealer and having them hook it up to Digital Tech and disabling the requirement for an Apple CarPlay microphone. This allowed me to have CarPlay show up immediately after plugging in my iPhone to the bike's USB port without having a wired or wireless microphone connected. However, the problem is that most of the CarPlay functionality is limited because as soon as you naviaged to a CarPlay function that requires a microphone, and most do, the Siri activation icon appears but there is no way to communicate since there is no microphone. I went back to the dealer and they enabled the option that requires a microphone. Luckily my dealer is pretty cool and they did not charge me either time for doing this.

After much aggravation, I figured out the magic combination of events and settings to get all of this to work. First, the it is very important to make sure you update the WHIM firmware to the latest version. This can be downloaded by visiting HD's site here. As of now, the current WHIM version is 1.1.4. Oddly enough, my brand new bike was two software versions behind.

WHIM Firmware Update Website

You will have to download all necessary software and connect your laptop to the WHIM's data port. This update CANNOT BE COMPLETED USING THE BIKE'S USB port. You will have to figure out where the WHIM data port is. If it is installed from the factory, it is most likely under the seat. If it installed by the dealer, it is typically located under the right side panel.

Once this is done, please update your GTS radio the latest version of the system software by visiting the link below. As of now, the current system software version is MY19.19.03.00.

GTS System Software Update Website

Last but not least, please visit the website of your headset manufacturer to download and install the latest firmware version for your headset.

All of these steps are extremely important and skip any of them may lead to a lot of drinking, cursing, and tool throwing.

Now for the connectivity part. It is EXTREMELY important to delete all of the Bluetooth pairings involving your Bluetooth headset from your phone and the WHIM. You should then delete all Bluetooth pairings of your phone from the bike. This step is an absolute must in getting all of this to work. To be certain that Bluetooth is completely removed from the equation, just go ahead and temporarily turn off Bluetooth functionality from your phone.

Now, pair your Bluetooth Headset to the WHIM but pair it as a GPS device. Ok, you are probably thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?" Most Bluetooth headsets can be pair as a typical Bluetooth device using the normal pairing method, or they be paired in a secondary paring mode as a GPS device. Every headset is different and the process for placing your headset in 'GPS pairing mode' will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. Here are the steps for the Cardo Pack Talk Bold.
  • Press and hold the 'Phone button' for 5 seconds until the light starts to flash rapidly in succession and relate the button
  • Press the 'Phone' button twice in rapid succession
  • Roll the jog dial forward (towards the front of the headset)
  • Congratulations! You are now in GPS pairing mode
On the bike, go into the Wireless Headset Configuration and select Rider Headset. Now choose the option to add a new device and the bike and headset should find each other and live in perfect harmony.Now that the headset is paired to the WHIM as a GPS device, the rest is simple.

Now all that is left to do is plug in your iPhone to the bike and CarPlay will pop right up. You will also now be able to use the voice button on the bike to activate Siri. When you navigate to the 'Messages' app and the voice activation automatically starts, you will now be able to instantly speak into the microphone on your wireless headset and you will be heard loud and clear; well at least as clearly as Siri ever recognizes your voice.

You will also notice that you can now communicate with your friends in mesh mode! For me this was incredibly important since mesh mode is much clearer and provides a much greater communication distance over Bluetooth mode.

Once the headset is paired to the WHIM, there is no need to do this again because as soon as your turn your headset on and fire up the bike, it will automatically connect in GPS mode. The only way you will have to do pair it again is if you reset the headset to factory defaults or delete the pairing from the WHIM.

It is late and I am sure I am forgetting to mention something. If you have any questions or need clarification, please post your questions and I will get to them promptly. I hope this helps others avoid a lot of wasted time and frustration and instead focus on riding and having fun.

Old 03-11-2020 | 10:26 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Do you answer the call by pressing the button on the headset? If so, that should tell you phone to put the call through to the headset. If you don’t press the button on the headset, try it. I run my setup the same way you do and I don’t have a problem.

Old 03-12-2020 | 02:45 PM
prostar
Club Member

I did the above pairing to use DMC/Mesh pairing this weekend. I run music to the headset. What it did was when someone spoke the music was so loud you couldn't hear them it didn't fade down. I feel unless Scala makes a Whim the Sena will be the one that works better.