Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 8.8 lids

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 PM
Bridis
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 8.8 lids

I'm trying to make a decision on 8.8 Lids, but I can't seem to find all of the information I need/want. I want to install some JL 8.8 on my 2020 RGS and I was hoping that a few of you guys might have some first hand experience with one/all of these manufacturers. Or maybe suggest someone else.

1. Voodoo: I like the look of this lid the best. It doesn't have the tweeter port on the top. But their product doesn't come painted and I really don't want to do electric locks. I've also seen several mixed reviews about fitment. I've watched their install video and can understand why people might end up with lids that don't lock or close too good. Lots of margin for error, IMO.

2. FMotos: They sell the Nasty Hog Lid in the 2020 colors. But they say you need an additional adapter at an extra cost to fit the JL 8.8's. I can't seem to find any images of these adapters either.

3. Nasty Hog: These don't seem to come it 2020 colors. They also don't mention a required adapter or offer them for sale. They don't have a phone number and haven't responded to the emails I've sent.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by Bridis; 02-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:33 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm guessing they don't show the adapter because it's hideous. Voodoo is the only ones I know to actually work and look decent when finished.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
I'm guessing they don't show the adapter because it's hideous. Voodoo is the only ones I know to actually work and look decent when finished.

The voodoo do take a little extra fabrication however well worth the extra effort.

T

Old 02-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Bridis
Intermediate

Have you guys used the Voodoo lids? Do I have to do the electric locks? One video I watched used the stock manual locks. I'll already have 2 speaker wires and 4 RGB wires running into each bag. I really don't want 2 more. Quick disconnect nightmare.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:59 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

If you talk to Voodoo you'll likely find out that the manual ones were first generation and the power locks are second generation. I've not often seen 8.8 lids on the used market so you're probably stuck with power locks.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

I have the new generation electric lock voodoo lids. In my opinion, they are hugely overpriced for the poor quality of product produced. I would strongly urge against it unless you are ready to work thru a lot of fitment issues.

Honestly, I think you can do better with other speakers other than 880.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I have the new generation electric lock voodoo lids. In my opinion, they are hugely overpriced for the poor quality of product produced. I would strongly urge against it unless you are ready to work thru a lot of fitment issues.

Honestly, I think you can do better with other speakers other than 880.
I have the Gen 1 Voodoo lids and the fitment was great. No fab work whatsoever. Just had to mock up the latch hardware then off to the paint shop.
I on the other hand just don't think ur gonna find a better all around rider speaker than the JL 880. Plug them in and never look back. No crazy *** tuning to get them to sound right and no sitting under shelter till that little area of drizzle passes. Hell u can make margaritas in them bitches.
If u really want a rider 8" lid setup that has the best SQ right out of the box and is all weather, take ur time with the lids, and drop the 880s in as it's well worth the effort if required.

Now if u want the parking lot stuff, it's an entirely different build strategy. But be prepared to scatter like cockroaches at the first sight of rain. It's actually pretty damn funny to watch the panic.

T

Old 02-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Bridis
Intermediate

I've already purchased the JL RGB 8.8's in anticipation of the installation. I'm just having trouble making a decision on the lids. I was really hoping for a pre-painted, manual locking option.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,602 Likes on 3,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I have the Gen 1 Voodoo lids and the fitment was great. No fab work whatsoever. Just had to mock up the latch hardware then off to the paint shop.
I on the other hand just don't think ur gonna find a better all around rider speaker than the JL 880. Plug them in and never look back. No crazy *** tuning to get them to sound right and no sitting under shelter till that little area of drizzle passes. Hell u can make margaritas in them bitches.
If u really want a rider 8" lid setup that has the best SQ right out of the box and is all weather, take ur time with the lids, and drop the 880s in as it's well worth the effort if required.

Now if u want the parking lot stuff, it's an entirely different build strategy. But be prepared to scatter like cockroaches at the first sight of rain. It's actually pretty damn funny to watch the panic.

T

Last summer I went to a sound comp and it rained for quite a while. It was entertaining watching everyone scurry for cover. They delayed the competition while I left mine out in the rain, steady playing my stereo. Needless to say, I egged EVERYONE on delaying the competition. I was ready to compete.

BTW, equipment includes factory head unit, Mmat PA601CX and JL 880's.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bridis
I've already purchased the JL RGB 8.8's in anticipation of the installation. I'm just having trouble making a decision on the lids. I was really hoping for a pre-painted, manual locking option.
Just call Kody and start a dialogue with him about fit and finish. Tell him what ur expectations are and if the lids don't meet them, send em back.
For my bud that just ordered them Kody called a local shop and coordinated any install hand holding and fabrication that might be required for him.
Kody has a brilliant fabrication mind but he just doesn't do the bolt on stuff that's mass shipped to Revzilla. Set those expectations and enjoy the process. Either do the fine tune fabrication / sanding yourself of have a local shop do it. It will be well worth the patience.

Call Kody. Great guy to work with especially if u include him in the process from the start. Hell, he might even be able to get u some Gen 1 lids.

Good luck brother!!!

T

Quick Reply: Help with 8.8 lids