Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line Output Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 AM
ToddOH
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Line Output Converter Question

Right now I'm running he stock head unit with the BT355's. When the weather breaks I plan on getting the 4/0 flash or the RF flash. If I go with the RF flash what LOC's do I get where I won't have to cut wires for the input connection? Or scrap both of those options and get a DSP? Either way I don't wnt to cut the factory speaker connections.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 AM
ReDo
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a DSR1 and these AHB Plug & Play Adapters. No cutting required.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddOH
Right now I'm running he stock head unit with the BT355's. When the weather breaks I plan on getting the 4/0 flash or the RF flash. If I go with the RF flash what LOC's do I get where I won't have to cut wires for the input connection? Or scrap both of those options and get a DSP? Either way I don't wnt to cut the factory speaker connections.
PAC SNI LOC

U won't have to cut into the factory stuff upstream of a hard wired harness if u simply use the speaker level wires downstream of the front L and R speaker harness just agree the harness leading into the pods. Aka the wires that were inside the pods going to your speakers and connected to the hard wired harness just outside the pods. Hook those to the LOC.

U picking up what I'm laying down?

T

Last edited by Tailwind; 02-26-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:06 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Trust and believe Mr. T won't steer you wrong. AHB is no bueno.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:52 AM
ReDo
Tourer

Originally Posted by marshallb
Trust and believe Mr. T won't steer you wrong. AHB is no bueno.
The AHB connectors haven稚 caused me any problems that I know of, but I would definitely like to know if there is something I should be on the lookout for based on your experiences with them. What makes them no bueno?

Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by jcslim
The AHB connectors haven稚 caused me any problems that I know of, but I would definitely like to know if there is something I should be on the lookout for based on your experiences with them. What makes them no bueno?
They make good stuff but in some cases they are simply not needed or there are very viable other resources available for a very small fraction of the cost.

It's good stuff, not cheap though. E.G. Their $20 harness for the remote turn on can be gotten at HD for $10. And if $10 is too much, there is always the cig lighter that u can tap into for free. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

T

The following users liked this post:
ReDo (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:02 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

$70 for some amp connectors, rca ends, and some wire wound resistors is ridiculous. Maybe $7 in parts there. It's very easy to use components already on hand to make a low level into the amp. The SNI 35 is $8 1 ft rca is $8 so $16 or $70, even less if you don't need the LOC. As I have already said the last time I was flamed for being cheap...I'm cheap. Especially when the extra money adds no sonic value.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:04 AM
ReDo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailwind
They make good stuff but in some cases they are simply not needed or there are very viable other resources available for a very small fraction of the cost.

It's good stuff, not cheap though. E.G. Their $20 harness for the remote turn on can be gotten at HD for $10. And if $10 is too much, there is always the cig lighter that u can tap into for free. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

T
Thanks for that clarification tailwind! I was worried that maybe they壇 introduce distortion or something. I figured I could have made the harnesses for WAY less but out of convenience I just bought them when I bought my DSR1.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM
ReDo
Tourer

Originally Posted by marshallb
$70 for some amp connectors, rca ends, and some wire wound resistors is ridiculous. Maybe $7 in parts there. It's very easy to use components already on hand to make a low level into the amp. The SNI 35 is $8 1 ft rca is $8 so $16 or $70, even less if you don't need the LOC. As I have already said the last time I was flamed for being cheap...I'm cheap. Especially when the extra money adds no sonic value.
Gotcha. I知 not flaming you for being cheap brother... it was a sincere question with no hidden meaning. If they were no good and going to cause sonic problems I sincerely wanted to know before I put everything back together this weekend. If I just paid too much, and that is what makes them no bueno that痴 a sunk cost for me, and good information for the OP.

I understand that there are less expensive options for some of the stuff I知 doing/using, but since this is my first time not using a fully plug and play system I知 learning as I go. Sometimes that means I知 wasting $ unnecessarily (hopefully I learn those lessons) and sometimes I知 accepting that I知 paying more for the same of convenience. You池e doing right by all involved to point out the options... pay more for X; pay less for Y; pay even less by doing it yourself with Z. I appreciate knowing all of the options and being able to decide. So thanks for putting it out there!

Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

I can understand paying for convenience. I pay the $5 for Kroger pick up without a thought. My concern is people paying that price without knowing the cost. I have strongly considered making harnesses myself. Vtwin's pricing is very reasonable but their location presents difficulties that I think I could do a better job at.

Quick Reply: Line Output Converter Question