Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby needs a lot of help!! (Audio help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 06:26 AM
SMR
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Newby needs a lot of help!! (Audio help)

Hey everyone! I have a 2015 Harley Ultra Limited. I am definitely not a audio aficionado when it comes to setting up a system for my bike. I'm gonna be honest here, I am not looking to spend a lot of money as that is just no feasible at the moment with other things going on. I'd like to keep my budget under $500 (Please be kind lol) if possible. I know it's not a lot but it's what I have to work with. All I'm looking to do is have an amp and speakers that will sound a little better than the stock system thats in there. I do not want to change out the Boom headset. I just want an amp and to change out the 4 speakers in the fairing and Tour pack. Do I need a line leveler? Do I need to buy a harness to make the amp and speakers plug and play?

- I am assuming I would need the amp and speakers to be Marine grade no? So please help in this area as for riding in the rain or just washing the bike.

- So to start does anyone know what the watts per channel are out of the stock boom headset? The reason I ask this is because is there a power match I need to do between the headset, the amp and the speakers to get the best sound I can with the budget I have? Like is there a max RMS for the amp and speakers that I can use with stock headset that will get me the best results.

- Now I will take any and all recommendations on what you suggest for what I am looking for.

I really appreciate you guys taking it easy on me and not beating me up to bad with my budget. Just looking for some advice and suggestions on upgrading the best I can.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by SMR; 02-22-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:37 AM
ReDo
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

The lowest cost solution I know of that is reported to produce a good result is a Stinger 700 4 channel amp and four MMAT 6.5s. You will need a line leveler to flatten the EQ coming out of the stock head unit before the sound gets amplified. I think this is the one you need for the Ultra BikeTronics Ultra Line Leveler. And, unfortunately, I think you are going to be closer to $750-$800 for the line leveler, amp and 4 speakers, but it’s better to wait and save a little more to do it right, imo.

Good luck brother!

Old 02-22-2020, 06:53 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcslim
The lowest cost solution I know of that is reported to produce a good result is a Stinger 700 4 channel amp and four MMAT 6.5s. You will need a line leveler to flatten the EQ coming out of the stock head unit before the sound gets amplified. I think this is the one you need for the Ultra BikeTronics Ultra Line Leveler. And, unfortunately, I think you are going to be closer to $750-$800 for the line leveler, amp and 4 speakers, but it’s better to wait and save a little more to do it right, imo.

Good luck brother!
Not bad. I will look into to this. I appreciate your help. Thank you

Old 02-23-2020, 02:27 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

$500 is a tough budget. The Stinger SPX 700 is a great amp choice at a reasonable price.
I believe you also need the BT355 line level converter from Biketronics. You can get by with one BT355 and a RCA Y cable, but you will only have the amp gains to balance out your system. You will need 2 x BT355s if you want the fader on the HU to work.
As for speakers your budget probably only has room for about 1 set of the Mmats 601.cx for the fairing.
At this point you will have to decide to add in a few more bucks for your rear speakers or hold off on the rear speakers until you can afford to add them.
The Mmats 601.cx also sound great in the tour pack pods, but unfortunately they require an adapter to fit which can get a little pricey if you use the Vtwin speaker adapters.
Hopefully someone else will be able to recommend a cheaper alternative speaker to use in your rear speaker pods

There are probably some cheaper speaker alternatives you can consider, but for a lot of us that have done a few upgrades to our system already, the Mmats are a solid contender, and worth stretching the budget a little.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:37 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
$500 is a tough budget. The Stinger SPX 700 is a great amp choice at a reasonable price.
I believe you also need the BT355 line level converter from Biketronics. You can get by with one BT355 and a RCA Y cable, but you will only have the amp gains to balance out your system. You will need 2 x BT355s if you want the fader on the HU to work.
As for speakers your budget probably only has room for about 1 set of the Mmats 601.cx for the fairing.
At this point you will have to decide to add in a few more bucks for your rear speakers or hold off on the rear speakers until you can afford to add them.
The Mmats 601.cx also sound great in the tour pack pods, but unfortunately they require an adapter to fit which can get a little pricey if you use the Vtwin speaker adapters.
Hopefully someone else will be able to recommend a cheaper alternative speaker to use in your rear speaker pods

There are probably some cheaper speaker alternatives you can consider, but for a lot of us that have done a few upgrades to our system already, the Mmats are a solid contender, and worth stretching the budget a little.
Bluesman, thank you for your response and the info. I appreciate it. I will definitely look into these options you are giving me. Those seem like solid choices. So you're saying that I would definitely need an adapter for the Mmat speakers in the fairing? What about the tour pack?

Old 02-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

For a good low cost budget system you can go with the following amp and speakers. The speakers drop into the tour pack pods without modifications or adapters. You will also need the above mentioned Breakout harness from Biketronics if you would like to retain the use of the fader if not you can get by with 1 Lineleveler and not have fade.

This isnt the FORUM FAVORITE for recommendations but it is an older combination that works and sound good.

Cerwin-Vega 1200W 4 Channels B54 Stealth Bomber Class D Amplifier, Black
Amazon Amazon

Kicker 41KSC654 6.5" 200 Watt 2-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers KSC65 (2 Pair)
Amazon Amazon

Metra 8 AWG Power Sport Amplifier Power Wiring Kit OFC for Motorcycles RZR SXS UTV
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Babyboy; 02-23-2020 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yooperhog (02-24-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Babyboy
For a good low cost budget system you can go with the following amp and speakers. The speakers drop into the tour pack pods without modifications or adapters. You will also need the above mentioned Breakout harness from Biketronics if you would like to retain the use of the fader if not you can get by with 1 Lineleveler and not have fade.

This isnt the FORUM FAVORITE for recommendations but it is an older combination that works and sound good.

Cerwin-Vega 1200W 4 Channels B54 Stealth Bomber Class D Amplifier, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZAQVNX2..._FUNuEbG009BVT

Kicker 41KSC654 6.5" 200 Watt 2-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers KSC65 (2 Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016C47TXI..._ATNuEb0VDEGVB

Metra 8 AWG Power Sport Amplifier Power Wiring Kit OFC for Motorcycles RZR SXS UTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW1X7YK..._YXNuEbRPC1GSR
Thanks for that setup. Definitely going to check it out

Old 02-23-2020, 08:39 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy

Cerwin-Vega 1200W 4 Channels B54 Stealth Bomber Class D Amplifier, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZAQVNX2..._FUNuEbG009BVT

Kicker 41KSC654 6.5" 200 Watt 2-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers KSC65 (2 Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016C47TXI..._ATNuEb0VDEGVB

Metra 8 AWG Power Sport Amplifier Power Wiring Kit OFC for Motorcycles RZR SXS UTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KW1X7YK..._YXNuEbRPC1GSR

Going old school there brother. I like it something different than the easy button set up thats pushed about 10 times a day.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:40 AM
SMR
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
Going old school there brother. I like it something different than the easy button set up thats pushed about 10 times a day.
So. you're actually saying you like this older school budget setup?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:47 AM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by SMR
So. you're actually saying you like this older school budget setup?
Haha I have no opinion one way or another. If Babyboy recommends it for a budget type set up then your good to go. It’s just refreshing to see something mentioned other than MMats or stinger even if it’s a set up from some time ago. Otherwise look for some used gear as well prob get more for your money.

Quick Reply: Newby needs a lot of help!! (Audio help)