Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my final tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 10:22 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Help with my final tune

Hey guys Ive asked a few questions before but I have finally gotten everything installed and am trying to figure out the tuning of the HU. I have the Alpine ine- W967-HD unit. The radio has a built in eq/dsp that is supposedly really accurate. I am not sure as to what my settings should be. I listen to everything. The system is very loud as is but seems to be lacking in bass (even while parked). I have a tourpak that I use occasionally so Im not too concerned about that and the amp for that is toggled on/off. So my setup is as so: 2 Hertz SV 6.5 in the front with 2 hertz MP 23 tweets followed by 2 Rockford 6x9s in the saddlebags. All powered by Biketronics BT4180 4 channel amp 2ohm stable.

First, am I over powering the amp?
Second, are the 6x9s a good match for this set up? They seem lacking. I got them with the kit (which is F%$#ing Fantastic if your thinking about using it to cut your bags). I travel and I wanted lighter 6x9s to avoid problems with the lids as well as heat issues and space in bags. Better speaker ideas that fit that bill...?
Lastly, HOW do you set the tuner up?
I have channel 1 set up for 50hz with a 12db slope and channel 2 the same. It is pretty loud but I dont know what the hell I'm doing.
Perhaps I should take it to a stereo shop and have them tune it...Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

No one?....ok...
anyone know of a high powered 6 channel amp that can power everything when needed? That will also fit under RGS RGS fairing?
I'm not sure if using that splitter rca from the head into to the two amps are hurting my rears.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:53 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I would run those sv 165's each on there own channel 1&2 and the 6x9's off 3&4, run the tweeters off the SD amp, set your head unit filter to hpf and 100hz at 12 db slope, those sv's could use more power than that 4180 will give them, and you need to be able to control those tweeters separately.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by madhunter60
I would run those sv 165's each on there own channel 1&2 and the 6x9's off 3&4, run the tweeters off the SD amp, set your head unit filter to hpf and 100hz at 12 db slope, those sv's could use more power than that 4180 will give them, and you need to be able to control those tweeters separately.
cool. I've got bass blockers on the tweeters. Probably left that out. What about the Tour pak? I do run it occasionally. Thanks for the reply.
Also is there a better amp out there that will fit and do it all? I thought the 4180 was 180 per channel. I'm trying to learn as I go. My biggest issue was that the 6x9s seem really low in comparison to the SVs. The alpine has a built in 9 band eq/dsp with front and rear controls. I just dont know how to set it properly.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:39 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
Hey guys Ive asked a few questions before but I have finally gotten everything installed and am trying to figure out the tuning of the HU. I have the Alpine ine- W967-HD unit. The radio has a built in eq/dsp that is supposedly really accurate. I am not sure as to what my settings should be. I listen to everything. The system is very loud as is but seems to be lacking in bass (even while parked). I have a tourpak that I use occasionally so Im not too concerned about that and the amp for that is toggled on/off. So my setup is as so: 2 Hertz SV 6.5 in the front with 2 hertz MP 23 tweets followed by 2 Rockford 6x9s in the saddlebags. All powered by Biketronics BT4180 4 channel amp 2ohm stable.

First, am I over powering the amp?
Second, are the 6x9s a good match for this set up? They seem lacking. I got them with the kit (which is F%$#ing Fantastic if your thinking about using it to cut your bags). I travel and I wanted lighter 6x9s to avoid problems with the lids as well as heat issues and space in bags. Better speaker ideas that fit that bill...?
Lastly, HOW do you set the tuner up?
I have channel 1 set up for 50hz with a 12db slope and channel 2 the same. It is pretty loud but I dont know what the hell I'm doing.
Perhaps I should take it to a stereo shop and have them tune it...Any thoughts?
Thanks.
I've not used the RF 6x9's that come in the kit, but I have seen a lot of guys recommending swapping them out for the 6x9 Mmats 69.cx. I've seen others mention that the kit was good, but the speakers were lacking.
i run most of the system on my bike with 2 amps, but I ended up just putting a small 3rd amp I had laying around in my tour pack for the tour pack speakers that disconnects with the tour pack when not in use. There are probably better options with a better amp and some creative wiring strategies, but that was the solution I went with.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
I've not used the RF 6x9's that come in the kit, but I have seen a lot of guys recommending swapping them out for the 6x9 Mmats 69.cx. I've seen others mention that the kit was good, but the speakers were lacking.
i run most of the system on my bike with 2 amps, but I ended up just putting a small 3rd amp I had laying around in my tour pack for the tour pack speakers that disconnects with the tour pack when not in use. There are probably better options with a better amp and some creative wiring strategies, but that was the solution I went with.
Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:59 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by timberjkd
cool. I've got bass blockers on the tweeters. Probably left that out. What about the tour pak? I do run it occasionally. Thanks for the reply.
Also is there a better amp out there that will fit and do it all? I thought the 4180 was 180 per channel. I'm trying to learn as i go. My biggest issue was that the 6x9s seem really low in comparison to the svs. The alpine has a built in 9 band eq/dsp with front and rear controls. I just dont know how to set it properly.
pm sent

Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Hotch_n_totch
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
cool. I've got bass blockers on the tweeters. Probably left that out. What about the Tour pak? I do run it occasionally. Thanks for the reply.
Also is there a better amp out there that will fit and do it all? I thought the 4180 was 180 per channel. I'm trying to learn as I go. My biggest issue was that the 6x9s seem really low in comparison to the SVs. The alpine has a built in 9 band eq/dsp with front and rear controls. I just dont know how to set it properly.
I looked at the Rockford kit but decided a better route,

I am right running a focal sport amp and am running the following off of fine Hertz CPX165 in fairing and tour pack pods DB Drive wdx8moto 8 Inch coaxial’s in AdvanBlack Lids.

some one else chime in and correct me if I am wrong but if you take the TP off after set up and you are running a single amp it will change the ohm load thus affecting the tune.

while it is a bit more complex an amp running the TP speakers might be better so as not to affect the others when it is removed

Old 02-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hotch_n_totch

I am right running a focal sport amp and am running the following off of fine Hertz CPX165 in fairing and tour pack pods DB Drive wdx8moto 8 Inch coaxial’s in AdvanBlack Lids.

some one else chime in and correct me if I am wrong but if you take the TP off after set up and you are running a single amp it will change the ohm load thus affecting the tune.

while it is a bit more complex an amp running the TP speakers might be better so as not to affect the others when it is removed
Yeah, right now that is the current set up. I have the SD250.2 amp soley for the tour pack and its toggled for power when not in use. The splitter comes off the head unit and splits channel 3&4 for the BT4180 and the SD amp. It works pretty good, but the 6x9s just seem very dim. BUT I will say this they are 100% water proof! I left my bike out in the rain at a buddy"s house and they filled up like soup bowls. I was a little nervous running them after i dumped them out but they seemed ok.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotch_n_totch

You would definitely have issues if your tour pack speakers were paired with other speakers on the same channel. Don't know if it would be as much of an issue if you had tour pack on the left channel and lowers on the right channel though.

Quick Reply: Help with my final tune