Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In over my head

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 PM
ironfist_001
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In over my head

Let me give you a list of components i have so far installed.
America hard bag - 2014-Up Harley Plug & Play Adapter Front Signal for Aftermarket Amplifiers 14FPNP.
Stinger amp - SPX350X2.
Mmats - pa601cx speakers.
Wiring kit.
Here's how i have it hooked up so far..From head unit.. speaker wires to plug and play adapter /adapter becomes rca / rca to low imput on amp / speaker output to speakers. remote wire to cig lighter / HPF on and turned to 9 o'clock / sens turned to 10 o'clock . No avc / bass flat / treble flat
Here's my problems. No handle bar control on volume. Very loud at two bars of volume and seems bass is distorted. any help would be great and if you need pictures i can do that. Front speakers only 2014 streetglide btw

Last edited by ironfist_001; 02-14-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Carizma
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Flash the radio

Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 PM
ironfist_001
Advanced

Why would i lose handle bar function from not flashing radio? do the settings seem correct? wires hooked up right ? adapter not needed?

Old 02-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Ironfist I do not have a Rushmore like you do but it seems to me you should be using high level inputs with that adapter from what AB says on their website. That would explain the distortion. Here is their description of that part:

This kit connects to the front signal of the factory Harley radio with plug & play connectors for signal. Includes an integrated circuit that balances the factory Harley radio outputs. This results in a much wider volume range without the distortion that you would otherwise end up with. This is a far more superior audio connection than a high to low level converter when used with an amplifier or sound processor that accepts high level input (most all modern amplifiers).

Note: this unit is intended to be used with aftermarket amplifiers only. Will not work with the factory amplifier(s). This is not a high to low converter. This unit outputs speaker level audio signal with an RCA type connector. Most all modern amplifiers for use with motorcycle applications are designed to accept speaker level input at the RCAs. Be sure to verify that your amplifier has this feature. If not, a high to low level adapter must be used in conjunction with this part.

I don't agree with their statement that most motorcycle amplifiers accept speaker level input at the RCA connectors. I know some do, but most have separate connections for speaker level and low level input, or at least a switch to select between them. If you look at the labels on your amp it states low level input, so the adapter you have does not seem to be the one you need (or you will at least need a line output converter to work with it, like a PAC SNI-15).

Most folks that don't want to go through the trouble of getting their head unit flashed use a BikeTronics line leveler to connect their head unit to the amp. Hopefully some of the Rushmore folks can drop by and give you a more detailed explanation.

As far as handlebar controls go check all of your wiring harness connectors. I know at times I have had to unplug some of my wiring to move things around and get things mounted and just forgotten to plug them back in.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Take that overpriced AHB harness off and send it back. Get a BT355 problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
Hotch_n_totch (02-23-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:57 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Take that overpriced AHB harness off and send it back. Get a BT355 problem solved.
yes that ☝️

Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
I recently removed the BT line levelers and installed the AHB adapters he’s using, it now sounds way better imo, Focal sport amp 4/0 flash.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Just my take but amp install shouldn't have any impact on function of handlebar controls. Perhaps try a radio reboot, instructions can be found on Biketronic's web page... a reboot has solved some functionality issues on my Rushmore a couple times... GL

Old 02-15-2020, 07:19 AM
ironfist_001
Advanced

Well it seems i have it figured out . Handle bar control only works if your pressing the correct button lol. Sounds very good but i think ill get the BT355. I been playing with the setting some, but i feel like its a little distorted. Those speakers are very,very nice btw. Well worth the money. Thanks for all your help ,you cant this kinda help anywhere else.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:02 AM
ironfist_001
Advanced

One last question, i hope i can get from others using the stinger amps. Do you use the bt 355 rca's output directly into the amps input rca's ?

Quick Reply: In over my head