Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight and Space Savings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default LED Headlight and Space Savings

I always heard folks talk about the extra room that was made by switching to an led headlight. Never realized just how much until today. Look at the difference....

The following users liked this post:
Hoyt 1911A1 (04-30-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM
c_mancuyas8
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a good bit. 2-3"? What light is that?

Old 02-09-2020, 02:20 PM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

It's a cheap one from Amazon

I went in easy, but watch the polarity but once I figured it out it was great. Super bright!

Last edited by GunslingersNation1; 02-09-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:23 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GunslingersNation1
It's a cheap one from Amazon

I just cant seem to get both high and low beams to work
+1

Old 04-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Mpowered
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been going round and round for several years about upgrading my lights. I have a 2003 Heritage and have upgraded from the stock lights to the same one OP has. Looked into the day makers and the ones I wanted didn’t fit my model. The 2003 day makers weren’t a option because I didn’t like their look. I finally decided to get the best light and had to compromise the look. I went with custom dynamics probeam2 adaptive, running lights and turn signals. Unfortunately to get the LED light you will have to sacrifice the look.

Last edited by Mpowered; 04-29-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by GunslingersNation1
I always heard folks talk about the extra room that was made by switching to an led headlight. Never realized just how much until today. Look at the difference....

Just a little FYI

Those cheaper lights may create some RF interference in the audio systems SOMETIMES. You may start hearing some clicking,excessive static or even buzzing thru your audio. They have also been known to wipe out any and all FM signal that you may have had if you listened to the radio from time to time

The following users liked this post:
madhunter60 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Just a little FYI

Those cheaper lights may create some RF interference in the audio systems SOMETIMES. You may start hearing some clicking,excessive static or even buzzing thru your audio. They have also been known to wipe out any and all FM signal that you may have had if you listened to the radio from time to time
I haven't noticed anything just yet. I also never listen to FM radio, so I would never notice that issue. So far, so good.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

That looks like a brand called Sunpie. Before Yooperhog helped me fix my charging system issues I was thinking about switching to LEDs to save current draw, but I listen to my FM radio all the time. Because I live a good ways from the town called Middle of Nowhere I can only get about four or five stations clearly and that is with the steel whip antennas form an 08 Ultra. I have heard that putting toroid chokes on the power wire of the headlight will help, but I'm hesitant to take a chance.

GS if you happen to think about it try the FM radio and see if you can recall if there is any difference. I have seen some modules that plug inline with the power lead going to the light but I suspect they are just fancy chokes.

I like the idea of the space savings, but if I put any more weight under my fairing I'm probably going to have to run a truck tire up front...

Old 04-30-2020, 08:52 AM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
That looks like a brand called Sunpie. Before Yooperhog helped me fix my charging system issues I was thinking about switching to LEDs to save current draw, but I listen to my FM radio all the time. Because I live a good ways from the town called Middle of Nowhere I can only get about four or five stations clearly and that is with the steel whip antennas form an 08 Ultra. I have heard that putting toroid chokes on the power wire of the headlight will help, but I'm hesitant to take a chance.

GS if you happen to think about it try the FM radio and see if you can recall if there is any difference. I have seen some modules that plug inline with the power lead going to the light but I suspect they are just fancy chokes.

I like the idea of the space savings, but if I put any more weight under my fairing I'm probably going to have to run a truck tire up front...
Have you tried any of the radio apps on your phone and bluetooth to your radio?

Old 04-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Have you tried any of the radio apps on your phone and bluetooth to your radio?
Cell service in my area is more miss than hit. I realize folks that live in or near cities don't encounter these types of things, but there isn't even cable TV where I live (I don't care, I don't watch TV anyways). That's why I keep an old fashioned GPS on my bike, easily 1/4 of the time I am riding there is no cell service, but I can pull out that old GPS at any time and it works fine.

Also to be honest I really don't like fooling with my phone while riding. I like being able to just push a button on my handlebar and get to what I want. I guess that's another reason I like the stock head unit, there is not a single function on my head unit that I need to take my hands off of the hand grips for. I can even adjust bass, treble, fader, and select from seven sources just with my thumbs.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight and Space Savings