Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPhone Bluetooth music....SIAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts
Default IPhone Bluetooth music....SIAP

Screwy thing......if I pair my iPhone8 to my 2019 SGS and my Harley 20S to my WHIM, all of the voice recognition features work except 1:

I cannot use voice recognition to play the music on my iPhone. I either get “media not selected” or “song not recognized”. It’s driving me nuts. I have developed a theory that the Boom GTS is not recognizing the format of the music on the phone. May be right, may be wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to make the music format compatible with the Boom system so that voice activation works?

Sorry....important addendum.....I use the WHIM with the H-D Sena 20s. I have the Sena connected to the Boom by way of wireless headset pairing and the iPhone connected to Boom by Bluetooth.

All voice recognition commands.....nav and phone work perfectly. But asking to locate and play a song or album or artist does not work.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 01-15-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

What happens when you press and hold the voice recognition button? Siri should talk to you. Then ask her to play your music.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

As a matter of fact.....that does work!!! I was pushing the voice activation and trying to use the Boom commands rather than holding the button for Siri. I'm not sure (no, I'm positive) I don't understand the difference in the systems and I can't explain why the Boom system will perform every function except for music on iPhone, but you have at least given me a solution to the problem. Thanks very much.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
As a matter of fact.....that does work!!! I was pushing the voice activation and trying to use the Boom commands rather than holding the button for Siri. I'm not sure (no, I'm positive) I don't understand the difference in the systems and I can't explain why the Boom system will perform every function except for music on iPhone, but you have at least given me a solution to the problem. Thanks very much.
Glad I could help. Not sure why the Boom voice recognition wouldn't do that for you, since you can browse your phone's music library with the touchscreen or hand controls. Something funky with bluetooth through Boom maybe? Wonder what happens when you hardwire the phone to the bike and try to use Boom voice command to play music. If you do that make sure you turn bluetooth off on the phone before trying.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:22 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

That’s the kicker here.....I’ve known all along that with Apple CarPlay I could do all I wanted to do with ease. I just somehow discovered this glitch and it became kind of an obsession to solve it. I’m going to take the SGS in and let the folks who flashed the WHIM originally take a look at the settings and see if there is something funky going on there.

Just to make sure I’m on the right path...when I plug into the USB, it automatically shuts off the Bluetooth connection. Is there some other reason I should turn Bluetooth off that I’m not aware of? Thx.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

That’s the kicker here.....I’ve known all along that with Apple CarPlay I could do all I wanted to do with ease. I just somehow discovered this glitch and it became kind of an obsession to solve it. I’m going to take the SGS in and let the folks who flashed the WHIM originally take a look at the settings and see if there is something funky going on there.

Just to make sure I’m on the right path...when I plug into the USB, it automatically shuts off the Bluetooth connection. Is there some other reason I should turn Bluetooth off that I’m not aware of? Thx.
The USB connection may take over as the source, but it will still be connected via bluetooth (unless you go in your bluetooth settings and actually see it disconnected, assume it is still connected). Mine is constantly connected via both USB and Bluetooth and that has caused some weird issues from time to time. Anyway, just shut the iPhone bluetooth off to be sure. Then see what happens to the Boom voice commands with music. If that corrects the issue then you've narrowed it down to a Bluetooth issue between the Boom and the iPhone.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

Went back and checked it.....on the Media screen, Bluetooth is grayed out when CarPlay is on, so I don't have conflicting connections.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:48 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Went back and checked it.....on the Media screen, Bluetooth is grayed out when CarPlay is on, so I don't have conflicting connections.
Ok, not sure why Boom can't control bluetooth music. At least there's a workaround with Siri.