Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another audio thread (DSR1, Hertz, Fosgate, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

The new rockford wiring haness kit plugs into the factory harness and eliminates the need to run nee speaker wire in the front. The bag harness plugs directly into the amp. The "T" harness allows one connection to the dsr1 and the in and outs are part of it. I will look into it some more, but my initial thought is the if you want to add another amp and more speakers, you are most likely going to have to not use the t harness, and find out if you can use the t harness as the input to the dsr1, but use the rca cables to output to the amps, this will require running your own speaker wires to the speakers instead of the stock hd wiring.
m
i'll post up again in the am when i can double check.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Ahh the PnP devil strikes again.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Shuishe
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff! I will now just go RCA out from the DSR1. I went out to the bike and that should be pretty straight forward. Now onto speakers.. whats the recommendation for 6.5's in the lower fairing and tour pack?

Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuishe
thanks for the help I will go rca out. For reference, the amp kit from fosgate for a 2019 touring bike is the t harness. The dsr1 plugs into that. That is what I was referencing.
So it plugs into that as an input from the sled/HU right? Leaving the DSP hopefully has 8 holes that u can plug RCAs into and send to 2 amps very easily.
If this still is causing issues, please take some pics and post up as the newer sleds may have a few fancy features but the fundamentals are the same thus I'm certain ur brothers on this forum can help sort it all out.
Good luck!!

T

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

Since you already have good tweeters in the fairing and a good DSP to tune with a lot of us in that scenario run PA speakers in the lowers. In my opinion I got warmer sound in the front stage when I swapped out my coax in the lowers for PA speakers. You can crank them pretty good without those tweeters drilling into your brain so to speak.

As far as what brand and type others can advise. So far the basic Mmats PA 601.4s marine treated have served me well. For folks with more money I have heard good things about Hertz and PRV in that location. If you need grills down there a lot of us have had good luck with the Chinese knock off CVO grills on eBay. They are about $20 a set.

As far as the rear pods go I have really enjoyed my Analog Designs CX621s. They are waterproof and get loud without sounding too harsh. You just need to cross them a little higher than a lot of 6.5s. That's not really an issue though because with most rear pods you aren't going to be generating many low frequencies anyhow. Also the ADs fit in that spot without heavy modification and come with good quality grills in the box.

When it comes to hooking up the amps and such one thing I did when I went with two amps is to have all four front speakers on one amp on the front of the fader control and all four rear speakers on another amp on the rear fader control. You will most likely find that when you get going good you will need to tone down the front stage a bit to be able to hear the rear. If you have a passenger you can set the fader more towards the middle to keep from blowing them away.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

I would consider a pair of PA style speakers for the lowers. I would definitely consider using the mmats 690.cx over the hertz mpx. If you upgrade those RF speakers in the lids you may not want TP speakers anymore, just another consideration.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Shuishe
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both points make sense. Is there a recommended PA speaker for the front lowers? Also, whats the recommended lid setup?

Old 01-13-2020, 05:32 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shuishe
Both points make sense. Is there a recommended PA speaker for the front lowers? Also, whats the recommended lid setup?
I think the PRV 6MR500 is really good in the lowers there just aren't many louder 6.5s. Whatever speaker you pick make sure it mates with the power you will have available. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the RF amp, but you gonna want to get your power strategy correct if you really want to run 8 speakers.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:35 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

I will add that you're only an hour away from Voodoo Customs maybe you could ride up there and see what they offer?

Old 01-14-2020, 02:46 PM
c_mancuyas8
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
I think the PRV 6MR500 is really good in the lowers there just aren't many louder 6.5s. Whatever speaker you pick make sure it mates with the power you will have available. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the RF amp, but you gonna want to get your power strategy correct if you really want to run 8 speakers.
Thats what I have in mine. They're crazy loud!

The following users liked this post:
Shuishe (01-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Another audio thread (DSR1, Hertz, Fosgate, etc)