Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 channel amp for Mmats PA601.cx

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I would be spending $100 more and getting that Massive TX48 and run it straight up and add to it when the brown truck showed up.
As tempting as that is to play with, seeing as how he has a Road King where would he put that thing? If I had a Street Glide I would be tinkering with one of those amps. With my Geezer Glide windshield though I can get by with a lot fewer watts.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I wouldn’t be so sure. I’ve givin the 801cx 500watts without a problem. I certainly would not suggest anyone try that tho. My 601cx are running at 160w for months without a problem. Careful tuning is a must at that level tho.
You don't have 500 watts!.. What amp? LOL

I am throwing 400 watts each to a set of 6.5's. But, they are a higher tier speaker than MMat's and are band passed so they play where they should. No built in bass blockers or caps on them! (to burn out), and they are ran through a DSP! ( see the differences we are talking here)

Juice

Old 12-02-2019, 04:05 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Juice
You don't have 500 watts!.. What amp? LOL

I am throwing 400 watts each to a set of 6.5's. But, they are a higher tier speaker than MMat's and are band passed so they play where they should. No built in bass blockers or caps on them! (to burn out), and they are ran through a DSP! ( see the differences we are talking here)

Juice
What makes you think I don’t have 500 watts??
I had the 801cx hooked to a Timpano 1400/1 controlled by a dsp. Granted it was a short test but sounded fine. Ran them on a 600/6 for a couple weeks that metered at 380w @ 14.2v.
Although, I don’t think meter output and load output is necessarily the same on any amp.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
As tempting as that is to play with, seeing as how he has a Road King where would he put that thing? If I had a Street Glide I would be tinkering with one of those amps. With my Geezer Glide windshield though I can get by with a lot fewer watts.
The same place he would put a Stinger 700.

T

Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM
SOFTPETER
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Man you guys will argue who has the brownest sh*t.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM
123ozzie
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as trimming gains down I have had a couple of amps that didn't like gains set real low. What I mean by that is I ran into clipping problems when the gains were turned way down. I suspect that I had to feed it too fat of a signal from the head unit so to speak. Once I turned the gains back up the problem went away. I don't know if the Stinger will do that but I thought I'd mention it as a potential pitfall with bridging the 700.

Also a lot of amps will introduce a little more distortion when bridged vs. native. Again I don't know if he would notice it with the Stinger being bridged but at high volumes a little bit of distortion can go a long way towards shortening the life of a speaker.

YMMV
The clipping problems you're talking about with the gains set low, would a SMD-DD1 pick that up?

Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

The same place he would put a Stinger 700.
Well I figured the Stinger 350 is 5.11" wide, the Massive TX48 is 10.75" wide. On an aftermarket fairing on a Road King that sounds like a big difference in size.

123Ozzie sorry I didn't dig into the problem with the gains set too low very much. I figured I was having to turn the volume up on the head unit so high that the output was starting to distort. The amps would actually go into protection mode because they sensed distortion in the speakers I guess. When I turned the gains back up a tad the problem went away and never came back.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Well I figured the Stinger 350 is 5.11" wide, the Massive TX48 is 10.75" wide. On an aftermarket fairing on a Road King that sounds like a big difference in size.

I totally get it brother but this is ultimately where the OP got railroaded on his thread as it went blindly into a pissing contest about watt/voltage headroom vs space requirements which are usually the limiting factor.
With 4 amps and a DD DSI-2 under my hood, I really do get the primary discussion should be about millimeters and centimeters.
Thus until all those specifics are identified, this discussion really is no use to the RK folks w aftermarket fairings. But it was fun to watch.

With that being said, OP what specific fairing do you have? What HU? Bluetooth amp? How much space do u conservatively predict will be available for your project?

T

Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmm, for my part, I saw the SG in his aviator, had that stuck in my mind the entire way. I totally glossed over the aftermarket RK fairing. I don't think anyone really knows what will fit, until that's confirmed, which is priority #1.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM
cskarns
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
With that being said, OP what specific fairing do you have? What HU? Bluetooth amp? How much space do u conservatively predict will be available for your project?

T
I honestly don't know what fairing it is. My guess would be a cheap Ebay fairing. I found it on CL with a Sony HU and 4 5.25 Memphis speakers for $150. It can be heard at highway speeds but it has to be at full volume and just doesn't sound the best.

My plan was to replace the four 5.25's with 2 quality 6.5's and add a amp. Not apposed to replacing the HU too.

As far as space inside the fairing...... I have 2 older SS PN4.520D's that I was able to put one on top and one hunter the HU with room to spare.

My long term goal was to have something that I could hear at highway speeds and not invest a lot of money into. Next year around this time I plan on trading in the RK and getting a Ultra or Street Glide.

Quick Reply: 2 channel amp for Mmats PA601.cx