Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019 | 09:27 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by jpjcm1
I installed the new Boom GTS on my 2018 Limited. The install was fairly easy... took about 45 min from start to finish. I didn't buy the USB suggested by Harley's website, instead I used the original one that came with the bike (it worked fine). Initially (before flashing the radio at Harley) the radio worked with poor quality and had a beeping sound coming out of the speakers every few seconds. Everything worked well after the radio was flashed, except I'm not getting the oil pressure reading, instead it just shows ok. I already had the WHIM installed, so car play is not only fast but awesome. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, the GTS is noticeably faster than the GT and user friendly. Setting up my iPhone and Sena 20s was a breeze.
The GTS can only give an actual oil pressure readout on 2014-2016 touring bikes since those are the only bikes with an actual oil pressure sensor installed from the factory. 2017-2020 touring bikes only have a basic oil pressure sensor that provides a signal if the pressure is within range of HD's set limits. Within range is "OK". Out of range is "NOT OK". Sad way to provide engine status if you ask me. Sorta back to the 70's & 80's with "idiot" lights instead of actual gauges.

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-19-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2019 | 09:45 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
The GTS can only give an actual oil pressure readout on 2014-2016 touring bikes since those are the only bikes with an actual oil pressure sensor installed from the factory. 2017-2020 touring bikes only have a basic oil pressure sensor that provides a signal if the pressure is within range of HD's set limits. Within range is "OK". Out of range is "NOT OK". Sad way to provide engine status if you ask me. Sorta back to the 70's & 80's with "idiot" lights instead of actual gauges.
I was thinking that would change with the new flash required to make the GTS work in pre 19 bikes and show an actual oil pressure value.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:02 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I was thinking that would change with the new flash required to make the GTS work in pre 19 bikes and show an actual oil pressure value.
Unfortunately there is no oil pressure sensor in the 2017-2020 bikes to send a signal to the BOOM GTS unit. The GTS BOOM Unit will give an actual oil pressure readout when its installed on the 2014-2016 bikes because they do have an actual oil pressure sensor installed on the engine from the factory. I wish you were right and I was was wrong as I would like to have an oil pressure readout too.

Maybe HD will eventually offer an upgrade sensor that can be installed to provide an actual oil pressure signal for the BOOM GTS to display on the newer bikes.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:17 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Unfortunately there is no oil pressure sensor in the 2017-2020 bikes to send a signal to the BOOM GTS unit. The GTS BOOM Unit will give an actual oil pressure readout when its installed on the 2014-2016 bikes because they do have an actual oil pressure sensor installed on the engine from the factory. I wish you were right and I was was wrong as I would like to have an oil pressure readout too.

Maybe HD will eventually offer an upgrade sensor that can be installed to provide an actual oil pressure signal for the BOOM GTS to display on the newer bikes.
Yeah I'd like one as well. That sucks. And I could'a sworn the video I saw of a GTS install showed the carplay working without a whim, which now seems wrong since a firmware update mid year, AND the oil pressure display working as well.

Old 12-19-2019 | 10:32 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yeah I'd like one as well. That sucks. And I could'a sworn the video I saw of a GTS install showed the carplay working without a whim, which now seems wrong since a firmware update mid year, AND the oil pressure display working as well.
Very possible you saw that video. If it was a 2014-2016 Touring bike with a BOOM GTS upgrade (with the Soundz module) and it was installed before November this year, the owner could have checked the "No Mic" box. In this situation the BOOM GTS would display oil pressure AND CarPlay would have worked with no microphone attached. My guess is that Apple lawyers put the squeeze on HD and that if they wanted the license for CarPlay to be retro-upgradeable to the older bikes, they had to eliminate any workarounds that allowed users to have access to CarPlay that wasn't hands free.

Old 12-19-2019 | 06:19 PM
jpjcm1
Novice

I was told by the parts guy at Harley that the USB cable was the same one installed on the 2017-2018, and not needed for the upgrade... it's required for the 2014-2016. As for the right turn signal, i did change itl, only took a couple of minutes.

Old 12-19-2019 | 07:24 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by jpjcm1
I was told by the parts guy at Harley that the USB cable was the same one installed on the 2017-2018, and not needed for the upgrade... it's required for the 2014-2016. As for the right turn signal, i did change itl, only took a couple of minutes.
According to the recently updated description of the BOOM GTS radio, HD would be in disagreement with that dealer’s comments.

"Fits '19-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUTG, FLHTK, and FLHX models with a 4.3 Boom!™ Box Radio. Also fits '14-'18 FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTK, FLHTKL, FLHTKSE, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHXSE and FLHTCUTG, models with separate purchase of USB Connector P/N 69200031A. Also fits '19-later Electra Glide® Standard models with separate purchase of appropriate Hand Controls, Wiring, and Antenna."

Old 12-19-2019 | 07:45 PM
jpjcm1
Novice

According to the recently updated description of the BOOM GTS radio, HD would be in disagreement with that dealer’s comments.

"Fits '19-later FLHTCU, FLHTCUTG, FLHTK, and FLHX models with a 4.3 Boom!™ Box Radio. Also fits '14-'18 FLHTCU, FLHTCUL, FLHTK, FLHTKL, FLHTKSE, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHXSE and FLHTCUTG, models with separate purchase of USB Connector P/N 69200031A. Also fits '19-later Electra Glide® Standard models with separate purchase of appropriate Hand Controls, Wiring, and Antenna."

I installed mine using the existing USB cable and it works fine, no issues. I attempted to buy the cable, but it's been on back order.

Old 12-20-2019 | 09:54 AM
vidof16@gmail.com
Stage I

17 CVO limited with GTS, whim and Soundz. I have a amazon USB cable and it works great. Must have a headset for carplay, but not for bluetooth music/phone connectivity.

Old 12-21-2019 | 03:05 PM
Jonny9toes
Intermediate

I just buttoned up my 2017 RGS after installing the GTS and WHIM. I bought the new USB cable because I believed Harley, there's 48 bucks gone. Because it a '17, 45 bucks more for the WHIM harness. I did buy the radio when it was on sale so that was better than a poke in the eye.

Ready to take it to the dealer for flashing, but the rain says not till Monday.

The following users liked this post:
vidof16@gmail.com (12-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down