Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019 | 03:22 PM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
If you can use CarPlay without a headset, that removes 1 obstacle. The eq curve is still a deterrent for that kind of money here also. I'm with you, for a third of the money a Sony can be had. It at least gives you CarPlay and Android Auto, I still like the factory Nav and thumb control functionality. I'm having a difficult time moving away from my 6.5.
So according to another video I just watched, this about a stock gts...the other was a retro fit install using the soundz adapter...both of which got carplay to work.

The stock video I just watched from Ryan urlacher...normally hate his YouTube channel. But he said there was a software update at some point. Then all that was needed was to flash the hu for a whim. The actual whim device wasn't required though. Flash the hu then turn on projection and carplay should work.

Last edited by teedoff65; 12-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2019 | 03:50 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
So according to another video I just watched, this about a stock gts...the other was a retro fit install using the soundz adapter...both of which got carplay to work.

The stock video I just watched from Ryan urlacher...normally hate his YouTube channel. But he said there was a software update at some point. Then all that was needed was to flash the hu for a whim. The actual whim device wasn't required though. Flash the hu then turn on projection and carplay should work.
Now I'm gonna go way out on a limb here with crazy wishful thinking. Wireless /BT CarPlay?

T

Old 12-15-2019 | 04:18 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65

this is xactly what others have been saying in other sections of this forum for some time, you only need the WHIM for voice controls, it will work through your phone with it turned on at the dealer with no whim

Old 12-15-2019 | 04:22 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Now I'm gonna go way out on a limb here with crazy wishful thinking. Wireless /BT CarPlay?

T
Guys on the RG forum say it works no problem. Just need the box for whim checked. Not sure if they had dealers doing that or indies with the techno research tool. That was when the soundz harness was the only option, I assume (and we all know how that works) it would carryover to the new radio.

Old 12-15-2019 | 04:41 PM
M M Alexander
Intermediate
Veteran: Air Force
Default CarPlay

CarPlay works by simply having the box ✔️ - you won’t have voice control without a Mic though.

Old 12-17-2019 | 08:05 PM
jpjcm1
Novice
Thumbs up

I installed the new Boom GTS on my 2018 Limited. The install was fairly easy... took about 45 min from start to finish. I didn't buy the USB suggested by Harley's website, instead I used the original one that came with the bike (it worked fine). Initially (before flashing the radio at Harley) the radio worked with poor quality and had a beeping sound coming out of the speakers every few seconds. Everything worked well after the radio was flashed, except I'm not getting the oil pressure reading, instead it just shows ok. I already had the WHIM installed, so car play is not only fast but awesome. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, the GTS is noticeably faster than the GT and user friendly. Setting up my iPhone and Sena 20s was a breeze.

Last edited by jpjcm1; 12-17-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2019 | 05:08 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Couple questions if you can. Was this a new unit or a take out? For CarPlay to work with the whim, does it require having the headset bluetoothed to the whim?

Old 12-18-2019 | 05:27 PM
jpjcm1
Novice

I purchased the Boom GTS through Harley's website for just over $1500.. (new, on sale). As for the CarPlay, you do need a headset (wired or wireless with the WHIM) to work.

Old 12-18-2019 | 06:06 PM
wparente
Cruiser

This is my experience with Apple Car Play. I purchased a 2020 Road Glide a month ago. My dealer told me they could check the box for no mic to make Car Play work without the WHIM, they had done this many times before. After about 3 hours of them fiddling around and calling Harley, the Motor Company told them that they had changed the updated software on what ever they use to program the motorcycles on the shop floor. They said Car Play can now not be used without the head set with anything programed from mid November 2019 on. Weather that's a fact or not I do not know, but that's my experience.

Last edited by wparente; 12-18-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2019 | 09:17 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by jpjcm1
I installed the new Boom GTS on my 2018 Limited. The install was fairly easy... took about 45 min from start to finish. I didn't buy the USB suggested by Harley's website, instead I used the original one that came with the bike (it worked fine). Initially (before flashing the radio at Harley) the radio worked with poor quality and had a beeping sound coming out of the speakers every few seconds. Everything worked well after the radio was flashed, except I'm not getting the oil pressure reading, instead it just shows ok. I already had the WHIM installed, so car play is not only fast but awesome. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the upgrade, the GTS is noticeably faster than the GT and user friendly. Setting up my iPhone and Sena 20s was a breeze.
Any tips or watchouts for the GTS swap? I bought my GTS from Surdyke at the Black Friday discount of $1520. Going into a 2017 CVO Limited. Looks like a pretty easy straight-forward swap. I'm still waiting on the updated USB cable which appears delayed from Surdyke.

I just rented a 2019 Ultra and for CarPlay to be activated 3 things need to be in effect:
1) an iPhone (higher than a 5) ​​​​​​must be plugged into the USB connector
2) a headset must be connected to the hardwire port or by BT through a WHIM unit
3) the iPhone must have a cell connection

If any one of these connections drop off, the CarPlay menu will drop off the screen. I believe Apple lays down these rules. Up until recently, rule #2 could be circumvented by simply toggling OFF the microphone using a dealer's Digitech. I'm sure Apple got wind of this "work-around" and shut it down. One of Apple's primary objectives with CarPlay is to make it "hands-free" for safety reasons. Lots of lawyers involved I'm guessing that told HD to shutdown any attempts to work around their CarPlay requirements.

For now, I have my new GTS upgrade but the new USB cable has been delayed from Surdyke. Does the USB cable "look" any different from the usb cable installed with the GT unit? Maybe the new usb cable is upgraded for the communication back & forth for CarPlay?

I don't think you'll get an oil pressure reading unless your bike is a 2016 or older since those bikes are the only one's that included an oil pressure sensor from the factory. The 2017 and newer bikes include a simple sensor that tells the BOOM unit if the pressure is over or under the limit set by HD. In other words, you can only get a read out on the BOOM unit of "OK" or "NOT OK" if you have a 2017 or newer bike.

After riding the rental with the GTS unit, I knew I wanted all the features of the GT unit (CB, Intercom, XM, Weather and integrated hand controls functionality) PLUS the much faster speed and bootup of the GTS AND the use of CarPlay. Yeah its expensive but I figure for $1520 minus whatever I get on eBay for the GT unit, it was worth it to me. Glad I did now that the GTS price is back up to $1900. Now if only that $30 USB cable would arrive!

BTW, did you bother to swap out the right turn signal switch cap for the new one with the different symbol printed on it or did you just leave the old one in?

Last edited by Heatwave; 12-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down