Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019 | 08:08 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roadie069
I spoke to my local dealer who seemed to be very well informed from H-D corporate. They said all the GTS radios are the same except new software allows them to work on older bikes. The new part numbers with A shown on the website have radios with that software. They said it is now plug and play but the USB cable needs to be changed because of something new. Thats the best explanation I’ve seen or heard about this. I picked one up for my 16RGS, part of the winter upgrades!
But the question is, can you buy a take off GTS radio...the old part number....and have the dealer update the software to work in pre 19 bikes. Or even install it and update it yourself. Guess I'll be talking to some local dealers myself soon.

I'm still not spending 1600 bucks on a radio. lol

Last edited by teedoff65; 12-12-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2019 | 08:25 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Following!!!!

T

Old 12-12-2019 | 08:28 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Following!!!!

T
Ha. You're as intrigued as I am...

Old 12-12-2019 | 08:41 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Ha. You're as intrigued as I am...
So much so that I'm going to the HD shop today to fuxx w one of those HUs. I love my Aloine a lot but getting all the other functionality back w Car Play is very intriguing.

T

Old 12-12-2019 | 08:45 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

So much so that I'm going to the HD shop today to fuxx w one of those HUs. I love my Aloine a lot but getting all the other functionality back w Car Play is very intriguing.

T
I wont be able to get by my local dealer till sat and even then not sure I trust them to know for sure. lol Their audio guy was the one that sent me to that car audio place last year and screwed me over.

Anyway, if you learn anything, please let us know.

Old 12-13-2019 | 05:45 PM
phatboy55
Stage II
Default GTS purchased and installed on my 18RGUltra

My first post so feel free to flame away . . I purchased the new updated GTS unit for my 18 Roadglide and had the install done today by my local dealer. Here are a couple of facts. . .

1, the < 1600 was either an intro price or was part of the Christmas sale. Now it list back at 1899.
2 My WHIM module and CB module that I had previously added to the bike work as they should.

What may or may not be true is if I actually needed the new USB cable. Since I did not want to wait in case it was not actually needed for the install today I paid for it. I had the work done this morning so its done and back in my garage waiting for better weather.

I don't care if you think its worth it or not. To me and evidently to others it is worth it.

Richard

Last edited by phatboy55; 12-13-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Found weatherband
The following 4 users liked this post by phatboy55:
Bdhouse61 (06-07-2021), binford6100 (03-28-2020), HD Boy (12-18-2020), Jonny9toes (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019 | 01:02 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by phatboy55
My first post so feel free to flame away . . I purchased the new updated GTS unit for my 18 Roadglide and had the install done today by my local dealer. Here are a couple of facts. . .

1, the < 1600 was either an intro price or was part of the Christmas sale. Now it list back at 1899.
2 My WHIM module and CB module that I had previously added to the bike work as they should.

What may or may not be true is if I actually needed the new USB cable. Since I did not want to wait in case it was not actually needed for the install today I paid for it. I had the work done this morning so its done and back in my garage waiting for better weather.

I don't care if you think its worth it or not. To me and evidently to others it is worth it.

Richard
Good info brother. I went to my HD Dealer and every single associate from the sales floor where I demoed the unit to parts and also tech/maintenance folks, all of them talked me out of the unit as they said it was incompatible and couldn't be done. It was pretty funny to actually go into a HD shop and they wouldn't take my money!!!! Lol.
Until the MOCO gets their shix together I just cannot justly doing the R&D for them at those prices. When they figure it out I may entertain the HU change but for now I'm sticking w my Alpine. It missing a lil of the functionality I would ultimately like but the dog shix product support & knowledge regarding the GTS puts it on ice for the foreseeable future.

T

Old 12-14-2019 | 11:15 AM
teedoff65
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Good info brother. I went to my HD Dealer and every single associate from the sales floor where I demoed the unit to parts and also tech/maintenance folks, all of them talked me out of the unit as they said it was incompatible and couldn't be done. It was pretty funny to actually go into a HD shop and they wouldn't take my money!!!! Lol.
Until the MOCO gets their shix together I just cannot justly doing the R&D for them at those prices. When they figure it out I may entertain the HU change but for now I'm sticking w my Alpine. It missing a lil of the functionality I would ultimately like but the dog shix product support & knowledge regarding the GTS puts it on ice for the foreseeable future.

T
Just left my local dealer. Parts guys said a used one would not work, but talking to a sales guy who I've known through my dealings with this dealership, and I kinda trust more....he thinks a used radio would work after having it flashed and software updated.

I think if I can run across a used one for a decent price I may pick it up and try it after the new year. If it doesn't work, I can always resale it or even purchase soundz adapter. I'd still be in it for about half price versus buying the new one.

The following users liked this post:
Jonny9toes (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019 | 04:13 PM
BigT12
Cruiser

I just installed the newly released GTS radio in my 2017 Street Glide. I brought it to the dealer to get it activated and had them activate WHIM in hopes that Apple Car Play would work without a headset. It did not work!

Old 12-14-2019 | 05:54 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigT12
I just installed the newly released GTS radio in my 2017 Street Glide. I brought it to the dealer to get it activated and had them activate WHIM in hopes that Apple Car Play would work without a headset. It did not work!
Well that bites!! Headset has to be plugged in for Car Play to be functional?!!!

T

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down