Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019 | 07:55 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sbates08
and what's the cost of this new hu?
$1520

Old 12-02-2019 | 07:58 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
This is only conjecture on my part, but I believe the new upgrade gts kit is a different radio, by virtue of software.

If you take a 2019 SG radio and install in a 16, it won't boot up. It will look for a vin that's applicable. The upgrade kit radio doesn't. Another programming difference is the tpms.

The non included cable is nothing more than a usb cable that lands in the media cubby like all Boom. My guess is the radio end is possibly different than 18 down.
correct it’s a different radio, hence the new part numbers, and yes no module just a 40 dollar usb cable, that apparently is the same as the old one

Old 12-02-2019 | 09:05 PM
spidermo
Advanced

So if we wait another six months, maybe they will drop the price another $500?

Old 12-03-2019 | 04:47 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
This is only conjecture on my part, but I believe the new upgrade gts kit is a different radio, by virtue of software.

If you take a 2019 SG radio and install in a 16, it won't boot up. It will look for a vin that's applicable. The upgrade kit radio doesn't. Another programming difference is the tpms.

The non included cable is nothing more than a usb cable that lands in the media cubby like all Boom. My guess is the radio end is possibly different than 18 down.
I believe you are 100% correct.

Old 12-04-2019 | 10:04 PM
Toner123
Tourer

I called Corporate Harley (not the dealer) and spoke to them. You do not require an adapter like Soundz made. You install it like you normally would and take it to the dealer to hook up the scanner for activation.

I also asked them about older headunits that came out prior to the new part number release. They said the headunits are the same, just have different software in them that allows it to be activated on bikes from 2018 and down. So this then sparked me to ask about buying a used one prior to the new part number change. He assured me it will still work since the dealer can flash the new software.

in regards to the cable it mentions. As others have said, this is the usb cable that goes in the compartment that you plug your phone into or usb to update the system like the Boom GT. Looking up the parts diagram, it appears it is the same one that comes on the Boom GT. If you have the other radio that is not the GT, I believe you will require this usb cord. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Carizma (12-05-2019)
Old 12-08-2019 | 06:04 PM
jpjcm1
Novice

Originally Posted by Toner123
I called Corporate Harley (not the dealer) and spoke to them. You do not require an adapter like Soundz made. You install it like you normally would and take it to the dealer to hook up the scanner for activation.

I also asked them about older headunits that came out prior to the new part number release. They said the headunits are the same, just have different software in them that allows it to be activated on bikes from 2018 and down. So this then sparked me to ask about buying a used one prior to the new part number change. He assured me it will still work since the dealer can flash the new software.

in regards to the cable it mentions. As others have said, this is the usb cable that goes in the compartment that you plug your phone into or usb to update the system like the Boom GT. Looking up the parts diagram, it appears it is the same one that comes on the Boom GT. If you have the other radio that is not the GT, I believe you will require this usb cord. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, I ordered one for my 18 limited... just hope the USB cable is the same.

Old 12-08-2019 | 07:44 PM
Mark Piccoli
Stage II

Originally Posted by Toner123

I just ordered a GTS radio from H-D for my 2017 Limited. Based on your comment, are you saying corporate told you you do not need to purchase the wiring adapter from Soundz? Have they changed things which now allow the GTS radio to be retro fitted to 2014-2018 bikes without the adapter??? If that's accurate, that's a $450 savings. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2019 | 07:51 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark Piccoli
I just ordered a GTS radio from H-D for my 2017 Limited. Based on your comment, are you saying corporate told you you do not need to purchase the wiring adapter from Soundz? Have they changed things which now allow the GTS radio to be retro fitted to 2014-2018 bikes without the adapter??? If that's accurate, that's a $450 savings. Thanks in advance.
correct, no adapter is needed, and do you really think HD would spec someone else’s part? That would never happen with any manufacturer pS there are 2 different part numbers depending on what fairing you have

Last edited by mikes300; 12-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2019 | 07:56 PM
Mark Piccoli
Stage II

Wow! Thanks. I ordered the correct model for the bat, with the part number now ending in A. Hope this works as seamlessly as stated. That's a huge savings and makes the retro that much more attractive.

The following users liked this post:
vidof16@gmail.com (12-20-2019)
Old 12-12-2019 | 07:29 AM
Roadie069
Stage I

Originally Posted by mikes300
correct, no adapter is needed, and do you really think HD would spec someone else’s part? That would never happen with any manufacturer pS there are 2 different part numbers depending on what fairing you have
I spoke to my local dealer who seemed to be very well informed from H-D corporate. They said all the GTS radios are the same except new software allows them to work on older bikes. The new part numbers with A shown on the website have radios with that software. They said it is now plug and play but the USB cable needs to be changed because of something new. Thats the best explanation I’ve seen or heard about this. I picked one up for my 16RGS, part of the winter upgrades!

Last edited by Roadie069; 12-12-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down