Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022 | 11:02 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JdhogH
The dealership was able to flash the radio and that did fix 99.5% of the issues. NAV did work, but was missing some of the options in the route options and avoidance's (unpaved roads, ferries and scenic...). It's good to go now along with the headset communication problem. But no,originally it was not volume related. I had tried those thing you mentioned to try to fix it earlier. NOW I have one problem left; Fade is all four speakers are on the front channel. I have a Rockford amp which was previously working with the original GT radio. This was installed before Harley made them stock. The flash kicked it out I guess. Tech told me I need to re-tune it. I've done that, but the "Fade" is not working correctly. Fade it to the front, all four speakers play, fade it to the rear it goes quiet. Any advice for that?
I saw the "fade" displayed on the screen after the radio flash, but I don't remember trying it. Originally before the flash it was not there so just seeing it I may have in my excitement just assumed it would work.
you have the wrong flash in the HU or its wired wrong or both, completely unrelated to the WHIM stuff

Last edited by mikes300; 05-23-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2022 | 11:04 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I've found the answer to the problem, from the Rockford Fosgate website. The dealership I used is not on their list of authorized installers which is needed to do this specific flash. Hmmmm
Below is from the "about" associated with my kit.
T-harness integration supports front/rear fader control (requires "Rockford Fosgate 2014+ All Bikes" flash) and my dealership is not on the list of authorized shops that can do a RF flash.
if they have the techno research flash tool they can do the RF flash, so can any stereo shop with the TR tool . there are a few flashes that enable fade control.

Last edited by mikes300; 05-23-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2022 | 11:06 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Perhaps I'll have go visit him again later this week to get that worked out. He did tell me the amp selection in the program only allows for HD/Rockford and not the original Rockford. So although the CVO comes with an amp, it's the HD Boom amp and is recognized in the setup, where as mine is now aftermarket. Therefore I don't think he selected any amp option which is why I had to dial it back in. Still he should have given it a 4 speaker setup so the fader would work. He may have missed it, I don't know.
I hope that he can just fix this one thing without doing another flash and knocking the amp out again. I've got the remove/replace of the fairing and headlight down, but doesn't mean I want to do it every weekend.
the flash doesn't care what amp you are running.

Old 05-27-2022 | 02:34 PM
JdhogH
Novice

Latest update: After three attempts to flash it in, the problem turns out to be the Rf amp. Sent in for warranty yesterday.

Old 06-03-2022 | 05:18 PM
jman1115
Cruiser
Default Soundz unit $$$

So those of us that bought the soundz module now have a very expensive bundle of wires! LOL

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
You should be good to go, the "B" is a revision code... The important thing is that its rev "A" or after, that takes away the "worry" of if it's software has been updated to work in the older Rushmore (2014 thru 2018).

Starting with the "A" revision the GTS head units came with the newer software installed from the factory, making them backwards compatible (for 2014 they 2018 bikes). Just about each new year that letter on the end will progress on the head units (A, B, C, D, etc).

For "retro" fitting the GTS, a person has to be careful if the GTS's part number has no revision code (no A, B, C, etc at the end). On those, if you were putting it in a 2014 thru a 2018 bike, you'd want to be sure it's software had been updated already... here's the procedure from the release notes from that software update

"Update: MY20.19.39.00
Improvements
P&A radio P/N’s 76000829A and 76000834A are already loaded with this software, which allows the GTS radio to be compatible with ’14-’18 Touring
and Trike North American (DOM) models. If the GTS radio is not one of these two part numbers and is being installed on a ’14-‘18 Touring or Trike this
software update MUST be performed with the radio connected to a ’19 or later Touring bike prior to installation on the earlier model. Once the update
is complete a pre-calibration reset MUST be performed on the radio, then it can be installed on a ’14-’18 vehicle.
Refer to instruction sheet 94100195
for fitment details."

The GTS's in the 2019 bikes from the factory, and the GTS's people bought in late 2019, like me, did not have a revision letter on the end of the radio's part number. I think by early 2020 they were already at revision A on the head units... but in the fall of 2019, when I put the GTS in my 2016 RGU I originally had to use the Soundz module to get it to work in the 2016 bike... but not anymore

Your's is a newer head unit (rev B), so that's not going to be an issue.
FWIW, I also used the USB cable and the Sirius module from the original GT with the GTS, and I'm still using them today, without any issue.

Old 06-03-2022 | 05:37 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jman1115
So those of us that bought the soundz module now have a very expensive bundle of wires! LOL
yes LOL, i have one, one thing you can use it for still is flashing a GTS to fit in other bikes, plug in the module, then download new software then do a factory reset, remove module, GTS will now work in all 14 and up bikes. you dont need to do this on the 19 and up bikes like without the module.

Last edited by mikes300; 06-03-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2022 | 08:58 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jman1115
Yep... added it to the stack of other paper weights I have in the garage...

Old 06-17-2022 | 05:58 AM
JdhogH
Novice

Well, the amp finally came back from Rockford Fosgate with a clean bill of health. Reinstalled everything and still same issue. While it was out I did a little test of my own. I hooked up my original radio (GT) bypassing the additional harness, using the original main plug-in into it and it too failed to fade as in 4 channels. Which led me to call HD Audio Customer Service to see if the flash is stored in the ECM. They were unsure and were supposed to get back with me, but haven't. It has to be, and I believe the first time it wasn't done correctly because the dealer didn't use the Techno Research tuner and stored some basic BS on my ECM.

Old 06-18-2022 | 06:41 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

The flash is not stored in the ECM. There are lots of shops that flash radios that were sent in to them.

Old 06-20-2022 | 09:27 PM
knife_edge
Tourer

I tried using my usb driver with music on the original cable from the GT 6.5 Stereo and it did not work. I then replaced it with the new usb cable and yes it worked on the new GTS Stereo. My reason for the test was because the 1st GTS unit / gps did not connect with any satellite and it turned out that the unit was faulty and had to be replaced under warranty. The GTS is much louder in comparison to the GT 6.5, it has more radio station storage capabilities, the gps on view screen is much better and easier to work with through the stereo’s functionality. I also connected the whim and I just waiting for the HD Sena 50s bluetooth headset unit to arrive, so I can finish this up.

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down