Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022 | 11:26 AM
JdhogH
Novice

Originally Posted by Mikratt
Just updated to a GTS on my 2016 limited not the A version. Bought it used, plugged it in and got the incompatible warning. Found a "Host" bike connected the radio to it and updated to the new software M21.20.22.00 did the pre calibration reset then plugged it in to my bike and worked fine. I have the Rockford Fosgate HD14U-Stage 2 installed. I have a single license techno research programmer but it wouldn't flash the radio because the heading retains the VIN from the original bike. I emailed techno research and they helped me out with another license to flash the radio. Flashed radio and enabled WHIM but I don't have the module, and carplay works.
​​​

Where did you connect the leads to, to make this work?

Old 05-17-2022 | 01:52 PM
Bishop The Don
6th Gear

This is the unit that I’m getting put in now, granted you lose some of the GTS Boom functionality but you get a IPX5 weatherproof head unit.

https://volunteeraudio.com/product/s...odule-included

And here is the guy explaining what can and can’t do with this unit, but to me it’s worth the price but not at the Harley price.

Hope it helps someone out!!

Old 05-17-2022 | 03:47 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JdhogH
So will 76000779A work? It is from a 2020 and I want to upgrade my 2016 FLTR CVO. Called Customer service, but she just caused me more to consider since I have a CVO. She said it's wired differently because it has more functions. All of the functions are covered by the new radio I believe so....
any GTS radio can be plug and play on any bike 14 and up, either bought new or update the software AND do a factory reset(while plugged into a 19 and up bike). wiring plugs all the same (you may need a dealer to turn on a few things because its a CVO but it will work)

Last edited by mikes300; 05-17-2022 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JdhogH (05-21-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 04:24 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

To add to what Mike300 said and just to be clear... the GTS will in a 19up bike do tire pressure monitoring. In an 18 down bike that won't function. If the head unit is flashed properly Android Auto and CarPlay will.

Old 05-17-2022 | 07:23 PM
JdhogH
Novice

Originally Posted by Bishop The Don
This is the unit that I’m getting put in now, granted you lose some of the GTS Boom functionality but you get a IPX5 weatherproof head unit.

https://volunteeraudio.com/product/s...odule-included

And here is the guy explaining what can and can’t do with this unit, but to me it’s worth the price but not at the Harley price.

https://youtu.be/ai-X7z0LGSI

Hope it helps someone out!!
Thanks, for your help and links. The cost is way more realistic , but I don't want to loose any capability. I wish these parts sellers would cut some slack in their price. With no warranty or returns they still want 1600-1700.

Old 05-17-2022 | 07:25 PM
JdhogH
Novice

Thanks, I'm going to keep searching for one.

Old 05-17-2022 | 10:39 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

And to tag on a bit more to DSM & Mike300... a GTS with a revision letter A or after (B,C,D, etc) should work in a 2014 and later bike, it will have the correct software installed from the factory.
IF you get a GTS without a revision letter (probably used) then you have to be sure the software was updated and a pre-calibration reset was done before it was pulled out of the 2019 or newer bike like Mike300 said... see the update notes in post 107 above.

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
To add to what Mike300 said and just to be clear... the GTS will in a 19up bike do tire pressure monitoring. In an 18 down bike that won't function. If the head unit is flashed properly Android Auto and CarPlay will.
Tire monitoring will actually work in 2017 and after bikes on both the GTS and the GT, if you put the sensors in the wheels and get a dealer to pair them and enable TPMS in the BCM. Starting in 2017 the BCM in the touring bikes, with a fairing at least, came with the same BCM that was/is in the CVO's (HD #41000341x). BUT 2018 and down bikes it wont show up on the speedo's led screen and you don't have the low tire dummy light on the tach with stock gauges. AND some early 2019 models need a firmware update done to the gauges to get the pressures to show up on the speedo. But if TPMS is enable, sensors are paired, and TPMS is enabled in Radio Customizations you get the tire pressures on the Info screens. The issue is getting the sensors to fit, because most of the pre 2019 have 11.4mm valve stem holes, and the sensors are for 8.3mm holes, but its an easy fix... and the other issue is getting some dealers to just enable it.

Last August I changed the BCM in my 2016 RGU to the 41000341F BCM (which is actually now the replacement part number for my bike's BCM) and I changed my gauges while I was at it, and I have tire pressures showing up on the radio and gauges. This can be done in any 2014 thru 2016 bike, just changing the BCM and putting the sensors in the wheels and getting it programmed and it will at least show up on the radio (GT or GTS). To get the sensors/valve stems to fit I just put a "Fobo" rubber bushing in... I think I have added air twice since they were installed.

Here's a thread on all that TPMS stuff, and it a whole 'nother animal... just in case anyone is interested.
Post 159 and after is where I did mine, but before me in that thread is the guys that figured it all out well before I did mine.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-16.html

Last edited by Ssitruc; 05-17-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2022 | 05:11 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
And to tag on a bit more to DSM & Mike300... a GTS with a revision letter A or after (B,C,D, etc) should work in a 2014 and later bike, it will have the correct software installed from the factory.
IF you get a GTS without a revision letter (probably used) then you have to be sure the software was updated and a pre-calibration reset was done before it was pulled out of the 2019 or newer bike like Mike300 said... see the update notes in post 107 above.

Tire monitoring will actually work in 2017 and after bikes on both the GTS and the GT, if you put the sensors in the wheels and get a dealer to pair them and enable TPMS in the BCM. Starting in 2017 the BCM in the touring bikes, with a fairing at least, came with the same BCM that was/is in the CVO's (HD #41000341x). BUT 2018 and down bikes it wont show up on the speedo's led screen and you don't have the low tire dummy light on the tach with stock gauges. AND some early 2019 models need a firmware update done to the gauges to get the pressures to show up on the speedo. But if TPMS is enable, sensors are paired, and TPMS is enabled in Radio Customizations you get the tire pressures on the Info screens. The issue is getting the sensors to fit, because most of the pre 2019 have 11.4mm valve stem holes, and the sensors are for 8.3mm holes, but its an easy fix... and the other issue is getting some dealers to just enable it.

Last August I changed the BCM in my 2016 RGU to the 41000341F BCM (which is actually now the replacement part number for my bike's BCM) and I changed my gauges while I was at it, and I have tire pressures showing up on the radio and gauges. This can be done in any 2014 thru 2016 bike, just changing the BCM and putting the sensors in the wheels and getting it programmed and it will at least show up on the radio (GT or GTS). To get the sensors/valve stems to fit I just put a "Fobo" rubber bushing in... I think I have added air twice since they were installed.

Here's a thread on all that TPMS stuff, and it a whole 'nother animal... just in case anyone is interested.
Post 159 and after is where I did mine, but before me in that thread is the guys that figured it all out well before I did mine.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-16.html
Thank you for that!! I did not realize that could be retrofitted.

Ssitruc (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022 | 07:43 PM
JdhogH
Novice

Thanks for that tip. I found an 76000834A for s decent price. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Ssitruc (05-19-2022)
Old 05-21-2022 | 07:47 AM
JdhogH
Novice

OK, so the radio arrived yesterday. The guy said it was a different model number than it is; it's a 76000779A. Anyway I put it in and everything works, and no beeping. Still wondering if I need to flash it now. There two problems though, when I plug in my CB/INT cord to use my headset, I can hear in it but no voice out. Thinking that one of the CVO functions the flash will fix. The other is it will not read my update file when connected to the USB; doubled checked root directory of file and made sure the chip was seated in the adapter. Checked the status of the USB via android auto which works and played music from the phone. Stumped!

Quick Reply: Boom GTS upgrade kit for 18 and down