Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same Song Different Dancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Same Song Different Dancer

I have a 2017 SGS and installed the biketronics fairing 2 speaker system with titan amp and line leveler. I am using the OEM HU. While I am happy overall with the system I believe there is better out there. I do not intend to go to 4 speaker system as I do not want to cut into my bags. I have a few questions that I hope this group will help me with,
- Are there speakers that I can purchase that will be compatible with the titan amplifier and will provide a noticeable difference in overall sound performance?
- I see a lot recommendations around the Hertz 1650.3 speakers, will they work with the titan amplifier?
- is there a better HU / speaker combo I should be looking at?
Really don't want to replace the entire system but I like to listen to my music the way its supposed to be LOUD! So if that is what it takes then here we go again.

scott

Old 10-14-2019, 09:16 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

I would go to the preferred 6.5 speaker The MMats 601.cx and then see where you want to go. What titan amp do you have?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:27 AM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll echo firefieball, the pa601cx are awesome, I just replaced bt 7.1 speakers with them and the are much more efficient, clear and loud. Mine are off a bt 4180 amp although I have a Dsp to tune and set crossovers with but I have a ten speaker system also. I think your going to need some kind of eq be it a new head unit or Dsp, the Sony xav 5000 and 7000 seem to be go too radios for the new bikes, as far as features I know they have eq just not sure about crossover capabilities. I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
jester0618 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Just to be clear you have the BT7.1 Titan II's and the BT2180?

Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

I have the BT7P1 Proline 7.1 and the BT2180.14 amplifier with line leveler. I would really prefer to not change the HU. Am I looking at the right speaker at about $100 / speaker? Do the mMats pa601cx fit directly into the stock speaker pods? If I need to change the amplifier, looking for a recommendation there as well. Also, if I need an EQ is there something that fits under the outer fairing that is remotely controlled? Hell just looked at website, appears there home office is about 40 miles from me.

One more question is anybody making a "removable" sub for the saddlebag? I wouldn't mind having one for around town but longer hauls or long weekends I use both saddlebags.

Last edited by Groucho-17SGS; 10-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:04 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior

The mmats pa601.cx is about $100/ea. If you swapped the BT 7.1 for the pa601 you would realize and increase in volume as the pa601 is much more efficient. I don't know if that extra volume alone will get you what you're looking for. I do believe the pa601 will drop in a batwing pod with simple modifications. I imagine you already have the BT brackets though so that means most anything will drop in. If you install the pa601s and the change is not enough then the next thing to think about would be an amp change as BT amps aren't very flexible.
You can probably get the sound you're looking for without changing your HU. Many people still use the Boom HU and get good sound.
I wouldn't invest in a saddlebag sub personally to do bass on a bike is a complicated endeavor and takes a big commitment.
Try the pa601s if that isn't as satisfying as you would like come back and we can examine your needs and get you what you are looking for.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

thanks marshallb. Is there much benefit in installing a EQ, if there is such a thing for inside the fairing? And if so, any recommendations?

Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

I have the MMats 601s heading my direction. As mentioned earlier I have the BT speaker mounts. I also have the OEM pods. Which one is better for the overall sound? My gut says the pods since they will work somewhat like a speaker cab. But the fairing itself kind of does that as well. Any experience on which is better?

Old 10-19-2019, 07:48 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Groucho-17SGS
thanks marshallb. Is there much benefit in installing a EQ, if there is such a thing for inside the fairing? And if so, any recommendations?
Not with a fairing only set up. Managing expectations with a fairing only set up is important. I think it happens a lot where guys think new speakers will unlock the unicorn. That's not usually the case.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Groucho-17SGS
Cruiser

Received speakers yesterday. Managed to get one speaker installed this morning (working nights, 13 hr shifts) so going a little slow. Fired up the radio (one mMats and one BT) and as everyone said there is a huge difference in volume and clarity. However, the mmats seem to be very bright. I adjusted the bass/treble but couldn't get the high level down enough. I sure it will be different when I get the other mMats installed tomorrow. Question - when I installed the BT I had to reflash the radio to basically a 4 speaker configuration to improve volume and clarity. Do I need to reflash the radio again to a different setting? I sure hope not since that gets expensive quick.

Quick Reply: Same Song Different Dancer