Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metra Double Dim Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 04:47 PM
paul1970
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Metra Double Dim Fairing

Any one tried one of these yet for a 13 and down ? How’s the quality?

Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Chris Jenkins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve had the privilege of doing it twice. I broke the first one bolting it up due to alignment issues. The second one worked better but still was painful. After some time in the heat the figment didn’t get better.

Quality and finish are good, the fitment was an issue. having CarPlay makes it worth it. In the end I’m happy but it took longer than I expected to get it done right.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:52 PM
paul1970
Tourer

Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins
I’ve had the privilege of doing it twice. I broke the first one bolting it up due to alignment issues. The second one worked better but still was painful. After some time in the heat the figment didn’t get better.

Quality and finish are good, the fitment was an issue. having CarPlay makes it worth it. In the end I’m happy but it took longer than I expected to get it done right.
Were able to get it to fit right ? Or just kinda got it acceptable ?

Old 09-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Chris Jenkins
6th Gear

Originally Posted by paul1970
Were able to get it to fit right ? Or just kinda got it acceptable ?
It’s definitely not perfect but I also added the wind deflectors to it. I think without the deflectors the heat and tension would eventually line it all back up. I have a small gap 1/16 or less on each side where it rounds. I use black caulk to fill it. Nobody has ever noticed it, but as the installer I’ll always know it’s there.

It changes the angle of the speakers as well. It required a bit of tuning to get it back to the same level sound as the original. Overall I don’t regret it but while I was doing it I wouldn’t have wished the install on my worst enemy.

If you want Car Play or Android Auto it’s about the only way to do it. For me it was worth it but I worked hard to get it. I also upgraded to the painted inner so the look of the gloss black was a significant improvement.

If I could do it all over again, I’d bolt the inner and outer together off the bike with nothing installed and let them back in the sun all day to shape then do the install. I did mine in the winter when it was cold and think that played a large part in my troubles. I’d likely give up the deflectors too, but I really like the look on my bike.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins
It’s definitely not perfect but I also added the wind deflectors to it. I think without the deflectors the heat and tension would eventually line it all back up. I have a small gap 1/16 or less on each side where it rounds. I use black caulk to fill it. Nobody has ever noticed it, but as the installer I’ll always know it’s there.

It changes the angle of the speakers as well. It required a bit of tuning to get it back to the same level sound as the original. Overall I don’t regret it but while I was doing it I wouldn’t have wished the install on my worst enemy.

If you want Car Play or Android Auto it’s about the only way to do it. For me it was worth it but I worked hard to get it. I also upgraded to the painted inner so the look of the gloss black was a significant improvement.

If I could do it all over again, I’d bolt the inner and outer together off the bike with nothing installed and let them back in the sun all day to shape then do the install. I did mine in the winter when it was cold and think that played a large part in my troubles. I’d likely give up the deflectors too, but I really like the look on my bike.
Do you have any pictures of the final product you can post?

Old 09-29-2019, 08:19 AM
Chris Jenkins
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
Do you have any pictures of the final product you can post?

This is where my gap lives

This is the inner installed.

Better angle

Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 AM
paul1970
Tourer

Man that makes this decision a lot harder seems like a lot of $$$$$ for a product with fitment issues

Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Chris Jenkins
6th Gear

Originally Posted by paul1970
Man that makes this decision a lot harder seems like a lot of $$$$$ for a product with fitment issues
In the end it was worth it. It takes some time but I’m glad I did it. I do wish I would have done it right the first time.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:32 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks, I think it looks factory! Well worth the effort.