Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring amp in saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wiring amp in saddlebag

In my effort to keep cleaning my system up, I'm thinking of using an SD800.4s to power all of my front speakers. That means I can put the dsr1 in the cubby. I can do a few things:

1. Mount 250.2 or 600.1 on clutch side bracket, requiring the power wire distribution block to be relocated.

2. Run a second power and ground wire to the saddlebag from the battery, and some RCA cables from the fairing to the saddlebag. If I do this, what size hole/grommet will I need to fit 2 8 guage wires, and 2 rca cables?

Ideas?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:03 PM
2017M8
Tourer
Veteran: Navy
Received 166 Likes on 108 Posts

Use a step size drill bit and that way you can build the hole up to the proper size needed:
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Moto Mike (09-22-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Is it a good idea to run the power/ground and RCA all through the same hole? I'm thinking you might want to separate the RCA cables from the power to avoid the possibility of interference.

Zach

Originally Posted by GunslingersNation1
In my effort to keep cleaning my system up, I'm thinking of using an SD800.4s to power all of my front speakers. That means I can put the dsr1 in the cubby. I can do a few things:

1. Mount 250.2 or 600.1 on clutch side bracket, requiring the power wire distribution block to be relocated.

2. Run a second power and ground wire to the saddlebag from the battery, and some RCA cables from the fairing to the saddlebag. If I do this, what size hole/grommet will I need to fit 2 8 guage wires, and 2 rca cables?

Ideas?

Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Is it a good idea to run the power/ground and RCA all through the same hole? I'm thinking you might want to separate the RCA cables from the power to avoid the possibility of interference.

Zach
Normally, I'd agree completely with that. The issue is the RCA's are coming down the backbone, over the battery, with the new power wire coming from the battery. I'm cant picture a way to keep separation for the full run. I could add a second hole for the power, but it's still going to be closer than ideal from the battery to the bag.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

I picked up a bunch of noise by passing over the ecm with my patch cables, I recommend going around that for sure. I didn't have much luck avoiding all potential noise inducing things. I have some noise but it's not terrible.

P.S. I think the Anderson plug also has potential issues. I don't think there is a better way around it, but I took some extra time assembling it because I've had issues in the past.

Last edited by marshallb; 09-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 PM
GunslingersNation1
Road Captain

But the ecm is the worst of it? How big of a hole did you drill for the wiring?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

I used one of these based on recommendations here.
Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Double Threaded Bulkhead
Amazon Amazon

I'm not sure I would go that route again as I'm not sure what I gained over using a normal grommet. I would definitely use one of the marine clam shell vents as I have had some water intrusion in a downpour.

Yes the ecm was the worst thing I found

Last edited by marshallb; 09-23-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:41 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
I used one of these based on recommendations here.
Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Double Threaded Bulkhead
Amazon Amazon

I'm not sure I would go that route again as I'm not sure what I gained over using a normal grommet. I would definitely use one of the marine clam shell vents as I have had some water intrusion in a downpour.

Yes the ecm was the worst thing I found
If you'll fill the ends of the bulkhead fitting with clear silicone you'll stop any water intrusions. I did mine that way inside and out and haven't had a drop of water come thru.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I just used a 3/4" hole with a grommet. After all the wires with their sheaths went through it was packed pretty tight. I have never gotten any water in through that hole but then again I drilled mine up top just behind the front latch hook.

I don't know if this would work with your setup or not but I thought I'd post it. Also with my Anderson connector after crimping the terminals I also soldered them and cleaned off any residual flux to avoid corrosion. I then put just a little bit of dielectric grease on the contact area of the pins. I have had it this way for over a year and not had any problems at all and I get rained on a lot. The plug is behind the side cover on the clutch side.

I ran the RCA and remote turn on wire down the backbone and went down beside the battery to come out in the cover area. I have never noticed any RF generated noise with this setup, even with all the wiring going through the same hole into the bag. I do have ground loop isolators on my RCA cables coming out of the head unit though. I don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Last edited by Hoyt 1911A1; 09-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:48 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SBates08
If you'll fill the ends of the bulkhead fitting with clear silicone you'll stop any water intrusions. I did mine that way inside and out and haven't had a drop of water come thru.
That makes good sense. Silicone is cheap enough that if something changes you can pull the glob out and squirt a new one in after the change.

I'll snap a couple pics of my amp tonight after work.

Last edited by marshallb; 09-23-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Wiring amp in saddlebag