Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install JM Corp XXRK-350SP2-14SG

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:43 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Extremely low bang for the buck brother. Nothing personal about it for me.

T
Back when I started looking, all I could get from the forums was a parts list. Everyone said "build your own", so I did. I have a couple grand worth of parts on the shelf to show for it. What happens is someone posts a parts list, you go out and spend $700 or so, put it all together and get crappy results. When you come back on the forums and ask questions you get crickets because no one knows what you did. You may have got more back for your buck, but for some of us, our time is better spent doing what we do and paying a little more for something that we know works. The J&M system does work and it sounds good. It may not win a audio contest, but it sounds really good.

Things I can think of to make it better would be a subwoofer in the trunk and maybe some speakers in the kick panels (TriGlide). Bigger speakers would help also, but we are kind of limited on speaker size. Bigger speakers (or a sub) would make the bass hit harder.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:50 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
LOL, once you actually figure out how much you spent, and you run into another bike with a system that blows it away and you find he spent less than half as much, the light will finally shine through brother.

I got the J&M treatment twice. The first time, it was $1,000 while at Sturgis and by the time I got home I realized that was a total waste of money for the slight increase in performance I got. So I talked to Jim, and told him I was disappointed, so he talked me into upgrading to the full high end Jokker 6 speaker system the next year, with a total outlay of that point of over $1,800.

Didn't help when tweeters fell out of the grills on the way back, punched holes in the fairing speaks, and John said it was my fault for not noticing it quick enough? Like I'm supposed to tear off my F***ing fairing in the middle of a 920 mile ride home? But, I lived with it for a couple of years. Certainly better, but I was still underwhelmed, and worse, my brothers Soundz system with the Focals just totally stomped me bad. He just loved to pull up next to me with a big grin, and play right over this supposedly J&M high end system.

I started reading up here, and this spring, I replaced the Fairing Jokkers for some Moto G2's, and the J&M amp for a SD800 for a total spend of $500 Total. Totally blew the crap out of the previous set up. I'm pounding over my brother at this point by a very large margin. Keep in mind, I'm still running the lower 7.25 and rear Jokkers, which you can't even tell are running until you put your ear right up to them. I'm now waiting for the 8" lowers for PRV's with set of MMats 6x9's in the rears, so I can trash the rest of the J&M stuff and put that nightmare far in the rear view.

The bottom line is, there will always be the koolaid bunch who simply don't care to learn they bad got reamed. Upgrading a bike system with a relatively mild setup - Amp, Fairing, Lowers, and Rears, is very easy, especially with all of the great guys helping here. There is just no reason for anyone to toss away good money on mediocre, over priced stuff, when you can do so much better if you are willing to read a little here and educate yourself. If you're lazy, of course, don't bother, but coming here to proclaim how great J&M stuff is mighty laugh worthy.

My .02 fwiw, coming from a guy who blazed this trail and got burned.
Don't know...Maybe they got better. I listened to a few systems from different manufacturers/installers at the Delmarva rally and couldn't tell much difference between any of them. Only gonna get so much out of a 6.5" speaker.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:44 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm not trying to rag on you. I'm just saying that I was exactly in your shoes and took 2 full years of reading everything I could here, and checking in every day to follow the trends, before I felt confident enough to start pulling any triggers. The last thing I wanted to do is get burned a 3rd time.

I can tell you without any doubt, that a loud speaker that has a sensitivity of 92db is going to get absolutely trashed by another with 103.5db, all else equal, as sound doubles in volume every 3db. So provided the SQ is decent, a 12db gain in efficiency is a huge thing. J&M just can't compete - their speakers really are pretty poor, and have always been their weakest link. For years they were using Arc amps, which are decent, but the speaks have always been the bottleneck. Well, that and their absolutely crappy installs didn't help either.

And, when you talk to the techs over there about the 165w RMS, they will very quickly 'suggest' you roll that back to around 140w if you tune by volts if you want them to live a while. Ultimately meaning, the spec's are somewhat embellished as well. But, frankly I don't really believe a single thing that slides out of John's mouth anyway so it didn't surprise me at all at that revelation.

I read your earlier post to T, and was somewhat surprised. I think many here would be interested in what exactly you bought, what went wrong, and what's sitting on the shelf. Again, I'll be the first to admit that it took me forever before I felt comfortable enough to start pulling triggers, and already, in just 3 months the winds have changed from the Moto G2's reining as the #1 6.5", which seems to being overtaken by the CX601cx in the court of popular opinion as of late, but that happens with electronics. There is something new every day it seems.

Last edited by mrmagloo; 09-25-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:23 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser

I'm not trying to rag on you. I'm just saying that I was exactly in your shoes and took 2 full years of reading everything I could here, and checking in every day to follow the trends, before I felt confident enough to start pulling any triggers. The last thing I wanted to do is get burned a 3rd time.
I get it and I'm not beating the J&M drum. I started out by trying to roll my own and it didn't work out. Add to that the fact that I have little time to ride never mind build the perfect audio system. I'm pleased with where I finally landed. I tried Hogtunes. Don't need to comment on how that went. Then I tried a couple other amps and speakers I saw on the forum and wasn't happy with them. Then I tried a complete Rockford Fosgate system from Paul Yaffe and could not get it sounding decent, partly because the HD shop was clueless on flashing the radio with the instructions provided. After that I went back to one of the previous systems (Infiniti Kappa's I think) but replaced the BoomBox with a nice Sony head unit. That system sounded good. So after that I'm thinking the problem is the BoomBox...Then I sold the bike (Street Glide).

So then I bought an '18 Ultra Limited. I knew I didn't want to replace the radio to get decent sound, so I just lived with stock for a year...Then we went to a rally and I got to listen to a few systems. They all sounded pretty close but I thought J&M looked the best, so I went with it. After my last experience with the radio flash I knew I didn't want to go down that road again, so I went with the system that didn't require a flash. BIG MISTAKE. The stock radio flash was the problem all along. System sounded like crap going down the road.

So I sold the Ultra and moved the J&M system over to the TG and of course, it sounded the same. I talked to J&M again and set it up so they would change out the cables and flash the radio and amp at a rally. Night and day after they did that so I'm happy with it now. I'm sure there are better sounding systems and I for sure have heard worse. I think this TG is my forever bike...or at least until they come out with a new model worthy of upgrading, so after I retire next year I might start experimenting with audio again. I think a good amp with a DSP is essential along with a flash to the radio. My biggest issue with speakers was finding something that looked like they belonged on the bike without having to modify anything. Everything I tried except the J&M required cutting on the front speaker boxes and the end result didn't look like Harley put them there.

Last edited by RCUltra; 09-25-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RCUltra
I get it and I'm not beating the J&M drum. I started out by trying to roll my own and it didn't work out. Add to that the fact that I have little time to ride never mind build the perfect audio system. I'm pleased with where I finally landed. I tried Hogtunes. Don't need to comment on how that went. Then I tried a couple other amps and speakers I saw on the forum and wasn't happy with them. Then I tried a complete Rockford Fosgate system from Paul Yaffe and could not get it sounding decent, partly because the HD shop was clueless on flashing the radio with the instructions provided. After that I went back to one of the previous systems (Infiniti Kappa's I think) but replaced the BoomBox with a nice Sony head unit. That system sounded good. So after that I'm thinking the problem is the BoomBox...Then I sold the bike (Street Glide).

So then I bought an '18 Ultra Limited. I knew I didn't want to replace the radio to get decent sound, so I just lived with stock for a year...Then we went to a rally and I got to listen to a few systems. They all sounded pretty close but I thought J&M looked the best, so I went with it. After my last experience with the radio flash I knew I didn't want to go down that road again, so I went with the system that didn't require a flash. BIG MISTAKE. The stock radio flash was the problem all along. System sounded like crap going down the road.

So I sold the Ultra and moved the J&M system over to the TG and of course, it sounded the same. I talked to J&M again and set it up so they would change out the cables and flash the radio and amp at a rally. Night and day after they did that so I'm happy with it now. I'm sure there are better sounding systems and I for sure have heard worse. I think this TG is my forever bike...or at least until they come out with a new model worthy of upgrading, so after I retire next year I might start experimenting with audio again. I think a good amp with a DSP is essential along with a flash to the radio. My biggest issue with speakers was finding something that looked like they belonged on the bike without having to modify anything. Everything I tried except the J&M required cutting on the front speaker boxes and the end result didn't look like Harley put them there.
Glad you are happy with what you are running at the moment. Sorry your build your own adventure didn't work out as good as mine has. Yes there has been some growing pains along the way, but things are getting better each step of the way. A lot of the changes have been made based on newer, better products coming onto the market.

The best upgrade I made was getting rid of my J&M rokkers. These days a Stinger 700 SPX and a 4 speaker Mmats system, whether it be 4 x 601.cx 6.5" or you toss Mmats 601.cx in the fairing and a pair of Mmats 6x9's in the lids. For a lot of guys out there, this has become a very popular choice. Yes there are way bigger, better systems out there. But this will have most guys rockin down the highway with a huge smile on their face and volume control to spare. As far as bang for the buck, this is pretty tough to beat. J&M isn't even in this race, they have long since lost out on sound quality, volume, and price theses days. The guys at J&M are great salesmen, it's just unfortunate that J&M doesn't have a better product to sell, especially because it isn't cheap.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman280
The guys at J&M are great salesmen, it's just unfortunate that J&M doesn't have a better product to sell, especially because it isn't cheap.
It's a terrible illness that way way too many folks come down with. The medical term is called Rally Fever and it completely disables rational though for a minimum for four days however has long term side effects and makes u tone deaf.

Thoughts and prayers are with those that have been impacted by this terrible yet curable illness.

T

Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 PM
mrmagloo
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

The only appropriate thought that comes to mind, after experiencing the salesmanship many times is:

Attached Thumbnails Anyone install JM Corp XXRK-350SP2-14SG-snakeoil.jpg  

Last edited by mrmagloo; 09-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluesman280 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

The only appropriate thought that comes to mind, after experiencing the salesmanship many times is:
And HD is just as much to blame for having an inferior product to begin with, and then convinceing people to spend more money to upgrade to even more mediocre equipment.

Then to add insult to injury, them poor unsatisfied buggers get snake oiled again at a rally.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

Well I have to thank J&M. If it wasn't for them pissing me off, I wouldn't be installing systems almost weekly now, lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ndfastln:
Bluesman280 (09-26-2019), eggwhite93 (09-26-2019), jory434 (09-27-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, Since this is all new to me I am putting my trust into this forum and one of it's members. (Thanks Bro)
It was suggested and I'm running with it, everything is on order
BT355 Line Leveler
Stinger Amp SPX350X2
Mmats 601.4cx 4 Ohm, weather treated

Quick Reply: Anyone install JM Corp XXRK-350SP2-14SG