Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8" lower pods

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 01:58 PM
M M Alexander
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Nice work

These are the lowers I built for my wethead last winter.
I may do some revision on them this winter for a little more depth
Nice Work!
Are those 8’s as well?

Old 10-25-2019, 02:03 PM
M M Alexander
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
Nice work. DIY is the best. I made mine last winter.
Yeah, I saw your posting above ��
My original plans were similar to yours - I was going to cut out the opening and build the enclosure out if fiberglass. But it was simpler to just get the pod with bucket attached and add the rings. Plus, I was able to keep the ability to open/close the air flap (that I never close, LOL - but I have the option none the less)
Though as you said - DIY works best and you get a product that you made and suits your needs best (most of the time, lol).

Last edited by M M Alexander; 10-25-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: ...
The following users liked this post:
No U Glider (10-26-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 02:15 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Yeah, I saw your posting above ��
My original plans were similar to yours - I was going to cut out the opening and build the enclosure out if fiberglass. But it was simpler to just get the pod with bucket attached and add the rings. Plus, I was able to keep the ability to open/close the air flap (that I never close, LOL - but I have the option none the less)
Though as you said - DIY works best and you get a product that you made and suits your needs best (most of the time, lol).
I went the long route to try to get more air space for the speaker. Makes a difference if you’re trying to get midbass.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Nice Work!
Are those 8’s as well?
Yes sir those are 8s in the lowers of my 14 limited wethead

Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 AM
M M Alexander
Intermediate

Question

I went the long route to try to get more air space for the speaker. Makes a difference if you’re trying to get midbass.
What 8 are you using and did you calculate how much space your pods are providing?
The new 8” pod comes in right at .365 ^2 and I’m trying to decide on what 8” to use in the lowers and fairing pods (I’m going with the Dirty Bird loud pod 8” adapters)
I currently have GZ Red Basket 6.5” in the lowers and fairing. While I like tonal quality, power handling and loudness - they simply haven’t much in terms of mid punch - they really don’t play lower than 100 (I have them crossed @110 hz). I run a pair GZ Yellow basket 6.5 in the lids and a pair of 8” Yellow Baskets in the bags and I get some respectable bass which makes me partial to GZ - though I also have the Hertz SV 200SPL and the Beyma 8G40 on the list which all have similar specs with the Beyma having the largest frequency range, voice coils and power handling. I’ve just never heard a pair of them and can’t find much in way of actual user experience/opinion about them.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:14 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

What 8 are you using and did you calculate how much space your pods are providing?
The new 8” pod comes in right at .365 ^2 and I’m trying to decide on what 8” to use in the lowers and fairing pods (I’m going with the Dirty Bird loud pod 8” adapters)
I currently have GZ Red Basket 6.5” in the lowers and fairing. While I like tonal quality, power handling and loudness - they simply haven’t much in terms of mid punch - they really don’t play lower than 100 (I have them crossed @110 hz). I run a pair GZ Yellow basket 6.5 in the lids and a pair of 8” Yellow Baskets in the bags and I get some respectable bass which makes me partial to GZ - though I also have the Hertz SV 200SPL and the Beyma 8G40 on the list which all have similar specs with the Beyma having the largest frequency range, voice coils and power handling. I’ve just never heard a pair of them and can’t find much in way of actual user experience/opinion about them.
Im testing a few different 8” in lids and lowers currently. It’s tough to get much mid bass from that small air space. I’ll let ya know if I find that unicorn.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Im testing a few different 8” in lids and lowers currently. It’s tough to get much mid bass from that small air space. I’ll let ya know if I find that unicorn.
Beyma CX300ND.

T

Old 10-26-2019, 09:22 PM
FrenchieM
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

What are some other affordable choices in the 8ohm 8” speaker? Looking for more of a midrange speaker for that location.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:18 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Beyma CX300ND.

T
I’m sure they sound nice but I can’t swallow spending that much for a speaker with a funnel in the middle.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrenchieM
What are some other affordable choices in the 8ohm 8” speaker? Looking for more of a midrange speaker for that location.
https://faitalpro.com/en/products/LF...p?id=401030101

Quick Reply: 8" lower pods