Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stinger SPX700/4 4 ohm Rating?? 100watts or 125watts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Gambat
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was looking at the Stinger or the Mmats. All the reviews here say they’re both great amps. Stinger a little more power, the MMATS a little better SQ.
Going back and forth between the two, more power, better SQ, more power… So my defining factor was the water protection. The Rushmore bat wing fairing vent is not water tight and water can drop on top of an amp sitting on top of the radio. It may be only a small amount but still worried me so I went with the Stinger for the better water protection (by description) and the additional 15 watts would just be a bonus.
  1. Stinger water protection rating IPX-4/5 weather-resistant design: IPX4> water splashes from any angle / IPX5> water jets projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) from any directions
  2. MMATS: Our marinizing process allows MMATS products to function in moderately damp environments but they may never be submerged or be in direct contact with water.
Now I find out the Stinger is actually 100 watts RMS and not the 125 they advertise. I still believe I got better water protection but the power is not what I or others may think it is. The Mmats advertise 110 RMS so what is their actually max watts? Does the Mmats have more power or are these two equal in power? It may be a moot point but specs help sell a product as do actual really world reviews like the ones here. I’m not disappointed just a little miffed that the watts I thought I was buying is not actually what I got. Everyone that has the Stinger loves it so I’m looking forward to getting it in.
The web and forums like this make for so much research before people buy it make my head spin. And I read a butt load of stuff …
Thanks for all the comments.

Gambat

Last edited by Gambat; 08-12-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

What speakers are you planning on running with the stinger?

Old 08-12-2019, 09:22 AM
travelingypsye
Stellar HDF Member
Received 655 Likes on 548 Posts

Either amp will serve you justice depending on what speakers you use. I have both in play right now. The stinger will be easier to install on the amp tray as all the wiring is out front. It would be hard to tell the difference between the 2 once installed and tuned.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Gambat
Advanced

Its going in a 14 Limited.
Teedoof65 - Have Mmats PA601CX coming for the fairing and TP.
Travelingypsye - The front access was a big selling point too.

My first stab at this was based like a lot of others, on a budget. The guys here helped me put together a good budget system. And it was loud and clear like they said. Bright but clear. Some songs the vocals were piercing. Now I read about newer speakers sounding fuller/warmer and it gets me thinking, Now I can afford better speakers so. I'm NOT trying to building a competition system at all but the new PA speakers that are out made me want to try them. Again reviews are all I really have to go by so hopefully my ears and what I expect from my musical SQ are similar.. Not expecting to feel heavy bass but looking for a fuller/warmer SQ. If that's my unicorn cool.. Like Dee Snyder said "I just want to ROCK"...

Gambat

Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Gambat

Do you have any pictures of your install? I am planning on doing about the same install as you, and would like to see/know how your installation went.

I too am flipping a coin between the Stinger AMP and the Mmats Amp. The easy of install would and does help me want to lean more towards the Stinger Amp.

I would like to see how your speakers mount into your wing and do they take any mods to fit either in the front wing or TP....

Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambat
Its going in a 14 Limited.
Teedoof65 - Have Mmats PA601CX coming for the fairing and TP.
Travelingypsye - The front access was a big selling point too.

My first stab at this was based like a lot of others, on a budget. The guys here helped me put together a good budget system. And it was loud and clear like they said. Bright but clear. Some songs the vocals were piercing. Now I read about newer speakers sounding fuller/warmer and it gets me thinking, Now I can afford better speakers so. I'm NOT trying to building a competition system at all but the new PA speakers that are out made me want to try them. Again reviews are all I really have to go by so hopefully my ears and what I expect from my musical SQ are similar.. Not expecting to feel heavy bass but looking for a fuller/warmer SQ. If that's my unicorn cool.. Like Dee Snyder said "I just want to ROCK"...

Gambat
I think you'll be happy with those speakers and either amp. I have the stinger amp and the mmats in my fairing. They seem to have pretty good amount of bass for 6.5's, but most bass is lost once youre cruising and the wind is in play.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM
8track
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

It's not just about watts. Clean watts and speaker efficiency matter too. The Stinger is a proven performer. There is a reason they are so popular on this site. Start looking through the builds on here. You will find it being used in a large percentage of the builds and lots of happy bikers.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:41 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer Glide Bob
I would like to see how your speakers mount into your wing and do they take any mods to fit either in the front wing or TP....
I can’t comment on the Batwing as I am a Road Glide snob but I can tell you that you will be needing a large spacer or the Vtwin Audio tour pack adaptors to fit the MMats coax in the Rushmore tour pack pods. I chose the adaptors for the much better look. It was worth the extra cash for me.

The following users liked this post:
Gambat (08-12-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Gambat
Advanced

What size fuse are people installing with the Stinger SPX700.4?? Manual says 60amp.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambat
What size fuse are people installing with the Stinger SPX700.4?? Manual says 60amp.
Well, I guess 60 amp would work well then.

Quick Reply: Stinger SPX700/4 4 ohm Rating?? 100watts or 125watts