Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Classic - help with speakers & amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 PM
capt1mc
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Ultra Classic - help with speakers & amp

Hello all,

I am a new to the forum and see there is a ton of support from knowledgeable people. That is great! I will try to get in all the information I see people are asking for.

Here goes... I was looking into some of the plug and play systems out there and found their prices to be 2 to 3 times more than what I wanted to spend. Then I found you guys, the "Audio Systems" sub-forum. I have read a lot of posts over the last week or so and learned a lot. I still cannot find what I am looking for. I did not want to make a post until I made sure I was not asking the same questions 30 others already have (they probably have though and I just didn't find it... lol) There are multiple people saying that a person can build their own system that is twice as good as HD Boom II or J&M ROKKER XXR for half the price. I'm sure some of that is joking around, but some of that is truth too!

Bike:
2014 Ultra Classic with stock 6.5 Boom HU and stock speakers in the fairing and TP. Boom is up to date.

What I am looking for:
- Speakers for the TP
- Speakers for the Fairing
- An amp to power them
- Extras I may need; wiring, mounting plate for amp, dsp, dsr, tweeters, speaker covers, etc.
- I may possibly expand to lid speakers in the future if the wife is not happy with the sound back there (I do not expect to budget it in this build)
- I really do not want to cut into any of the factory wiring harnesses if possible. I just want to keep the wiring factory, if possible. I would rather have pigtails I can plug into the existing harnesses. If I need to cut then I will. I do understand I need to run wiring and hook up battery/ground for amp.
- Oh, and I would like to show up a few friends too.

Music:
I listen to FM Stations most of the time, so I would like to keep FM.
Music I listen to: Rock, Alternative, Club, Dubstep, Rap.

Experience:
I have done all the wrenching on my own bike. I do not have an issue with removing the tank, fairing, etc. I have installed a couple stereo systems with amps and speaker boxes in cars when I was younger, but I did not have any knowledge on putting a system together for the best sound quality.
I can do the work myself, but I'm sure I will have questions.

Riding:
About 50% at 70mph
Ride in the rain when I have to

Budget:
Around $600 +/- ?

A few people have said that you can build a better system than these plug and play systems for that, I am not quite sure about that because I am already close to $600. Here is what I have in my shopping cart so far (this is recommendations I have read on others threads, I am not stuck on this equipment):
Stinger SPX700X4
Rockford Fosgate DSR1
Infinity Kappa 10.11T 3/4" Soft Dome Tweeters-Pair

Thank you in advance for any assistance given!

Last edited by capt1mc; 08-01-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 801 Likes on 622 Posts

You might consider starting off with the BT line revelers, instead of the dsr1, until you see how deep you want to jump in this pool. By line leveled, stinger amp, and 4 Mats PA 601.4cx speakers and see how that works out for you.
M

The following users liked this post:
wevsspot (08-08-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,608 Likes on 3,247 Posts

As a somewhat alternative to Marcos post, due to needing TP adapters for the PA601cx in the rear.

I would suggest
BT355 Line Leveler
Stinger 700 amp
1- pair Mmats PA601cx in fairing
1-pair Prv MB250's in tour pack
Amp wiring kit, both pos and neg back to battery
Stinger 1.5m RCA cables
Inline fuse installed near the battery.

This puts you mildly over the 600 budget, but in a good place.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 PM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

If you want to maintain the fade you will need the Biketronics BTBOC.

Several people have mentioned the MMats and I agree, I am using four of them on my RGU. You will need the Vtwin Audio tour pack adaptors to fit them.

You don't need need a DSP with four coax speakers off one four channel amp.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:46 AM
capt1mc
6th Gear

Thanks guys so much for the responses. This has inspired a whole new set of questions and ideas. If you have any more ideas or input, I am all ears.

I really want to keep the fade, too bad it is $270. The speakers and amp alone hits my initial budget already, unless someone knows of some really good deals! I priced out a couple variations from the ideas given and all are coming out higher than expected. I just need to justify spending that much.

Will the PRVs compliment the MMATs or is it going to bring down the sound quality? I read that the PRVs don't hit the highs good. is it worth the savings of $140 to use 2 of these instead of the MMATs? Also, will the PRVs drop right in to the TP or do I need spacers for those too?

Eggwhite93, I see you are running MMATs and Wevsspot built a system almost exactly like Marco's suggestion combined with yours. Being a new member, it doesn't look like I can PM yet otherwise I would PM Wevsspot to get his input on that build. If I built the system with the 4 MMATs and the Stinger amp and tuned it correctly, how would this compare to the JM ROKKER XXR or Harley Boom II? I'm just talking about sound quality.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:58 AM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by capt1mc
Eggwhite93, I see you are running MMATs and Wevsspot built a system almost exactly like Marco's suggestion combined with yours. Being a new member, it doesn't look like I can PM yet otherwise I would PM Wevsspot to get his input on that build. If I built the system with the 4 MMATs and the Stinger amp and tuned it correctly, how would this compare to the JM ROKKER XXR or Harley Boom II? I'm just talking about sound quality.
That combo will far and away distroy they JM or Boom II.

Here is another thought for you. I went through this exact delima when I was building my system. Insted of using the BTBOC, buy the Sony 5000 radio for around $500. You can then sell your stock radio for the same amout and efectivly have a free (much beter) radio and no longer need the BTBOC. At this point you will just need to use RCAs directly from the Sony to the amp. Now you have the entire budget for the amp, speakers, and install stuff like wiring and tour pack adaptors. I have around $800 into my system after playing the shell game with the radios.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:24 AM
capt1mc
6th Gear

That sounds like a great idea and I looked at the Sony HU, very nice! But, I want to keep the stock radio and be stealthy!!!

I see MMATs has the PA601cx and the PA601. I read in another thread that the PA601s are more midbase and compliment the PA601cx's. Does anyone have first hand experience with this combo?

Last edited by capt1mc; 08-02-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,608 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Originally Posted by capt1mc
Thanks guys so much for the responses. This has inspired a whole new set of questions and ideas. If you have any more ideas or input, I am all ears.

I really want to keep the fade, too bad it is $270. The speakers and amp alone hits my initial budget already, unless someone knows of some really good deals! I priced out a couple variations from the ideas given and all are coming out higher than expected. I just need to justify spending that much.

Will the PRVs compliment the MMATs or is it going to bring down the sound quality? I read that the PRVs don't hit the highs good. is it worth the savings of $140 to use 2 of these instead of the MMATs? Also, will the PRVs drop right in to the TP or do I need spacers for those too?

My buddy has coax speakers in the fairing with the Prv MB250'S in the tp. It sounds good and doesn't hurt the sq. The Prv is a drop in going in the tp. I don't have any problem recommending the Mmats PA601CX in the tp also, it just requires the adapters to fit. I was trying to get you to your budget. The Prv is an inexpensive rear stage, that performs well.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:09 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 801 Likes on 622 Posts

this is an idea i kinda have been bouncing around for a couple of days since you first posted, and i dont know if it works out costwise, but for ease of install i'll bet it cant be beat. Matts 4110 amp, mmats pa601.4cx speakers (4), Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit (only available through RF dealer, not on website) and a head unit re-flash, local indy stereo shop or maybe local HD dealer.

now before anyone gets to crazy, i just last weak did an install with the RF kit, it has a new wiring harness in it that enables all 4 channels of output from the head unit and is absolutely plug and play, with the exception of running the power and ground wires to the battery. A i understand it from talking to rockford, if the bike has rear speakers on it, this harness will enable everything to run, with the factory wiring, so no having to run or re-run wiring for the tp pods. the connections for the speaker input and output on the RF harness are the same as they are on the MMats amp, and the mmats amp will drive the speakers just fine.

i used metra 1/2 spacers to mount the speakers in my tp pods, and i cant imagine them costing more than 10bucks, that and a little front pod mod and you should be good to go. the only drag is the RF install kit has a retail of around 170. but it has everything and is completely plug and play, except for the power and ground.
just an idea that i came up with doing my last install on a 2018 RG
m

Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM
capt1mc
6th Gear

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. It looks like I may be able to setup a system for just above $800. The way this is going, if I give you guys enough time you could have it under my original budget, lol!

The more info you guys give, the more questions I have. I will see what I can answer on my own and be back.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra Classic - help with speakers & amp