Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Classic - help with speakers & amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,607 Likes on 3,247 Posts

Hey Marco..... is yours a Rushmore? I tried putting the PA601CX in my TP and it looked like it was going to take a 1"spacer.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 801 Likes on 622 Posts

mine is an 04 ultra classic, so no rushmore. i used the 1/2 inch metra spacers and i had to clearance a small section of the pod to get the crossover filter to drop in, but only needed the half inch for the magnet depth. i've heard the rushmore's are a little different, but not had one to work with yet.
m

Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 AM
capt1mc
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Eggwhite93 said that I will need to get the Vtwin Audio tour pack adaptors to fit the PA601CX in the TP pods. Wevsspot put the same ones in a build he did (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...e-limited.html) and I read others saying the same thing. Those adapters are 3/4" and just work if you turn the speakers.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 AM
capt1mc
6th Gear

I believe I am close to putting a shopping list together. Here are questions that I still have right now. I really appreciate any help with these, thanks in advance!
  1. My wife wants bass. I expect I will not get a lot, but which would give me more bass in the TP pods, PA601CX-4 or Prv 6MB250-NDY-4?
  2. I looked at the Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit. It looks like it is a very complete package and all the wiring I need is there. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FO...W/193012184720
    1. Do you see any other wiring I would need?
    2. Will the stock speaker wires be sufficient?
    3. Marco said "the connections for the speaker input and output on the RF harness are the same as they are on the MMats amp". Are these also the same as the Stinger amp?
    4. Will the mounting plate work with the Stinger amp?
    5. The kit includes an adapter for the DSR1. If I decided to buy the DSR1 instead of getting the HU reflashed, would I need to buy any other wiring to connect the DSR1?
  3. Is it a good idea to put polyfill in the speaker pods?

Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Gambat
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been looking to upgrade my system to these same speakers. Just trying to hammer down the amp choice between the Stinger 700 and the Mmats MD4110. Read another post that said the Mmats had a better SQ but the Stinger more power. Also read that the PA type speakers are more efficient so is the additional 15 watts a better trade off over SQ??? Would I notice the difference?? I have a 14 Limited and am only looking at the 4 speaker set up as well.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM
eggwhite93
Road Captain

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by capt1mc
Eggwhite93 said that I will need to get the Vtwin Audio tour pack adaptors to fit the PA601CX in the TP pods.
I did say this and you are right, you can do it with large spacers. I just feel that the extra cost of the Vtwin adaptors are worth it for a much cleaner look.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Hotch n totch's system sounded damn good to me in ES. I think he had the Focal FDP and the Hertz CPXs. I'm not sure what his budget was but he has excellent sound.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM
capt1mc
6th Gear

I was able to answer more of my own questions, it just took the persistence to find the answers. The problem is the more I read the more ideas I have and I start thinking bigger and more speakers.

I do have a couple that I am still unsure about.

I expect I will not get a lot of bass, but which speakers would give me more in the TP pods, PA601CX-4 or Prv 6MB250-NDY-4?

Marco or anyone that can answer this,
I looked at the Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit. It looks like it is a very complete package and all the wiring I need is there. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FO...W/193012184720. You said "the connections for the speaker input and output on the RF harness are the same as they are on the MMats amp". Are these also the same as the Stinger amp?

Here is the shopping list so far:
Stinger SPX700X4
MMATS PA601cx - 4 Ohm ea.(2-fairing, 2-TP)
RFK-HD14 Install Kit
HU Reflash @ Harley Dealer or RF DSR1

Last edited by capt1mc; 08-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 174 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by capt1mc
I was able to answer more of my own questions, it just took the persistence to find the answers. The problem is the more I read the more ideas I have and I start thinking bigger and more speakers.

I do have a couple that I am still unsure about.

I expect I will not get a lot of bass, but which speakers would give me more in the TP pods, PA601CX-4 or Prv 6MB250-NDY-4?

Marco or anyone that can answer this,
I looked at the Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit. It looks like it is a very complete package and all the wiring I need is there. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FO...W/193012184720. You said "the connections for the speaker input and output on the RF harness are the same as they are on the MMats amp". Are these also the same as the Stinger amp?

Here is the shopping list so far:
Stinger SPX700X4
MMATS PA601cx - 4 Ohm ea.(2-fairing, 2-TP)
RFK-HD14 Install Kit
HU Reflash @ Harley Dealer or RF DSR1
The Stinger amp has different plugs. You don't need that RF install kit. If all your doing is the fairing, TP, and lids I wouldn't spend the money on a DSP right away. If you do not want to run wire back to the TP I would just buy the BTBOC, but you'll end up running wire anyway if you do lids.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
this is an idea i kinda have been bouncing around for a couple of days since you first posted, and i dont know if it works out costwise, but for ease of install i'll bet it cant be beat. Matts 4110 amp, mmats pa601.4cx speakers (4), Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit (only available through RF dealer, not on website) and a head unit re-flash, local indy stereo shop or maybe local HD dealer.

now before anyone gets to crazy, i just last weak did an install with the RF kit, it has a new wiring harness in it that enables all 4 channels of output from the head unit and is absolutely plug and play, with the exception of running the power and ground wires to the battery. A i understand it from talking to rockford, if the bike has rear speakers on it, this harness will enable everything to run, with the factory wiring, so no having to run or re-run wiring for the tp pods. the connections for the speaker input and output on the RF harness are the same as they are on the MMats amp, and the mmats amp will drive the speakers just fine.

i used metra 1/2 spacers to mount the speakers in my tp pods, and i cant imagine them costing more than 10bucks, that and a little front pod mod and you should be good to go. the only drag is the RF install kit has a retail of around 170. but it has everything and is completely plug and play, except for the power and ground.
just an idea that i came up with doing my last install on a 2018 RG
m

I really like the idea of this install. Thank you Marcodraq!!

Question, How does the Stinger Amp compare to the MMats amp?

Here is my thinking...

Matts 4110 amp,
mmats pa601.4cx speakers (4),
Rockford Fosgate RFK-HD14 install kit

If I do the install, the I guess about $970.

Does this still require a flash using the stock 6.5 Boom radio?
Would there be a better sound quality if new wires were ran back to the TP speakers?

Am I missing anything or can anyone else suggest better?

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra Classic - help with speakers & amp