Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Tone

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 PM
ronbridgefarmer
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side Tone

Has anyone been able to get their infotainment center flashed to turn off the SideTone? Sena replied to my problem of having myself echo in my headset on the phone or CB with the information from several Harley users that Harley has told them that the Side Tone is default on, but their is no where to turn it off. I recently went with the FreeWire and it's impossible to talk with hearing myself. Makes me sound like I'm drunk. The SideTone on the Sena is turned off. I was informed by a JM Electronics employee that Harley has it so that you know your headset is working. I can tell other ways. Hopefully someone has run across this. I have a 2014 Ultra Ltd.

The following users liked this post:
OliverHamburger (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 03:35 AM
OliverHamburger
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ron, I have a 2021 Ultra. Dealership updated the Boom Box and now the sidetone is ON, so much so I can't actually hear my pillion, or hear a phone call etc.
I realise this is probably an old thread, but our local dealership has no idea.
Any idea how to turn off side tone..
thanks

Old 03-10-2022, 12:54 PM
ronbridgefarmer
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side Tone

I wish I had an answer but my dealership was stumped so I returned the Sena equipment. It's sad because it's probably the way Harley should have went with there wireless headsets. I sort of figured that maybe the 2021's being 7 years newer than my 2014 Harley might have put a work around in there. I guess not enough of us complained. Sorry I couldn't help you.

OliverHamburger (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 01:45 PM
OliverHamburger
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Ron, thanks for the response. I'm in Australia, got up nice an early to speak to HD in Milwaukee only to have them ask me what sidetone is.. Kinda figured at that point I should have stayed in bed.
Frustrating part is the system worked perfectly until the update. My advice to anyone reading this, if your headsets/audio systems are working, DO NOT do any updates. Boombox GTS as a company are ghosts - no way that I know of to contact them, and H-D seemingly have no idea.
Their only suggestion is for me to spend $1700 on a WHIM and 2 headsets.. what worries me, if they can't sort out a wired system, it's a whole new world of pain introducing the WHIM and bluetooth tech which I assume they won't know anything about either.
And to add insult to injury, apparently there are no headsets in Aus until July.
I'm an electrical contractor by trade, I'm wondering how the H-D people would feel if went to their house to repair something and caused $1700 damage. Do you think they'd just shrug it off like they have my issue?
I can't speak lowly enough of them at the moment.

smitty901 (03-10-2022)