Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rip jl mx280/4???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rip jl mx280/4???

My amplifier had been operating normally for quite some time. I recently blew out the speakers that were connected to the amp (bridged). When I installed the new set they seemed fine, but when I turned the volume up loud it immediately went into protect mode for a second or two then back to green. The sound did not sound distorted at this level. I suspected the wiring may be causing an issue so I ran new wires from the amp to the speakers. I got the same result. I wanted to see if it was going to go back and forth from red to green at one second intervals indicating over current or solid protect mode which is thermal protection (this seemed unlikely as I just turned it on). So I turned it up. It went to red, then back to green after a second or two - then it just went dead. I hooked the same speakers to my other amp and it did not throw a code. I checked my power connections as well as the fuse on the power wire. Everything looked okay. This amp has been running for quite some time so I highly doubt there is a power or remote issue. I will be verifying the positive, negative and remote connections tonight to verify the amp is receiving power. Assuming the amp is receiving power, is there anything else I can check? Is the amp blown?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 618 Posts

just for curiosity sake, where is your gain control set at, sounds like you are driving it too hard. check for power, ground and remote before you call it dead, and wait ,maybe overnight untill it is fully cooled off before you try again.
m
ps the gain control **** on the amp is NOT a volume control, it is used to match input voltage from the source unit. too much will let out the magic smoke!!

Last edited by marcodarq; 07-05-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 PM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Update going I had bought a little tester light but don't like to work so I just assumed it died and I took it into a local shop. they said the amp was fine. I bought a new tester light and sure enough there was a problem with the ground. I looked at it and looked okay am I test again it was fine. I think the connection of the battery may be loose I didn't have a chance to check it before it got dark. However I will be checking that and or replacing the ground wire. Also I'm suspecting the RCA inputs as the problem. The amp goes into protect mode as soon as I turn the volume up to a certain level. This is independent of how loud the speakers are playing or
whwre the gains are set. I had the gains all the way down and it made no difference. So either there's an issue with my head unit or the RCA wires possibly. This will be an easy check next time I get a chance I can switch the input wires that goes to my other amp. However Ian to throw the bike together as I'm going on a ride tomorrow.