Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown speakers DD 6x9

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 AM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
How old are the speakers? Call DD and see what they say, they may work with you on a new set if they are fried.
2 years or so.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

Speakers confirmed blown by 9 volt battery test. Battery is good. I also ran power down the wires going to the back and then back up to the front to good speaker. full-size worked fine. Not that there might not be an issue but both wires being pinched at the same time just seems improbable. Both channels of the Ampere working. although I'm not sure if there's some other testing I can do for voltage or amps or something to see if it's putting out some kind of funny signal. But it sure sounded fine. I can replace the speakers but I'm afraid that they will both blow again if I just replace them. I am thinking of replacing the speaker wires. Is there any further tests I should do on the amplifier?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,596 Likes on 3,245 Posts

At this point, I'd play 1khz test tone with speakers disconnected and check amp output voltages. Make sure your voltmeter is on AC voltage!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

I tried to test the voltage coming out of the amp. My multimeter on AC I got a reading of 12.7 which ends up giving me a peak output of 40 watts per channel. Obviously I've done something wrong. I did not have the speakers hooked up. However some of things I've read said this is okay. I can't pick them up right now because it would be too loud in the neighborhood

Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
At this point, I'd play 1khz test tone with speakers disconnected and check amp output voltages. Make sure your voltmeter is on AC voltage!!!
When I try this only got 7.9. which comes out to 15 watts at 4 ohms. Again I did not have the speaker hooked up I don't know if that is important. I'm obviously doing something wrong because when I hooked up to one of my speakers being driven off my arc Moto amp the sound was similar which is about what is expected for this amp bridged

Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM
bladeguy
Tourer

I ran the same test with the same voltmeter on my arc Moto and got 128 Watts. So something truly is up. I'm not real happy if my amp and my speakers are shot....

Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by USAproud
If no visible damage or burnt smell I would say the amp is the problem.
I suspect the amp. No smoke or damage. Amp sounds fine out of front speaks. Ran the wires all the way to the back through existing wires then up to front speakers and sounded fine. I am going to replace the speaker wires to be safe and check the power wires. Although honestly I cant imagine both speaker wires shorting out at the same time.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Pop the hood and w the 9v check the speakers from the beginning of the wires leading back towards the lids. Just no telling what could have happened to the wire that runs under the tank & seat. Connections, chafing, pinched, etc....

It's just damn strange that both speakers blowed up at the same time. Not real common unless the tune was really gonna set them up for failure but even then I don't think that amp has the nads to properly puff the magic smoke out of them suckers.

T
9v check revealed speakers dead. Ran the suspect amp through those wires and back up the front and sounded just fine.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
How old are the speakers? Call DD and see what they say, they may work with you on a new set if they are fried.
This was a great idea! They will rebuild for $20 each. Plus let me know what happened to them. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM
bladeguy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Done. I got low amps. I am thinking it may have been a problem with switching from clamps to probes. Probes got 128 amps out of the Arc Moto. JL got 15?????

Quick Reply: Blown speakers DD 6x9