Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOOM Box iPod Classic Infotainment Q:

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
RD335
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Question BOOM Box iPod Classic Infotainment Q:

--2019 FLHTK--

Does anyone know if there is a way to connect a straight audio input into the head unit? I realize there is no provided input jack available, but does the head unit have an input that can be tapped into? On the surface it seems to accept only a bluetooth input or USB.

I tried connecting my iPod Classic into the USB and it said the device is "no longer supported". Frustrated, I'm looking for a direct audio input solution for my non-bluetooth iPod.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

The iPod cord to USB is the correct connection however I doubt the Classic is recognized by the more modern HU technology. U may have to run to Walmart and get an iPod Touch.

T

Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 AM
RD335
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tailwind
The iPod cord to USB is the correct connection however I doubt the Classic is recognized by the more modern HU technology. U may have to run to Walmart and get an iPod Touch.

T
You're absolutely correct. I was trying to avoid purchasing another Mp3 player.

I still would like to know if anyone is aware of an audio input to the Boom Box HU before dismantling the fairing just to take a look. If I can get that hooked up, then I just need a short audio cord for the iPod Classic. Playlist takes care of the rest.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,571 Likes on 3,242 Posts

On the 18 down bikes. HD sold a 3.5mm adapter that plugged into the factory harness. The dealer then used their DigiTech to enable the auxiliary port and it would show up in the media menu.

I know the 19's use the GTS head unit now, but the wiring looms appear to be the same. You may want to check with your dealer to see if this adapter works on the 19's.

The following users liked this post:
RD335 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

So if the HU itself is not compatible with let's say iPhone 5 and older and also Classic iPods & Gen 5 and older Nanos, how does a direct connect thru an aux change the fact that the HU no likey the above mentioned Apple products? Is it the Digitec that puffs up the HU?

I'm pretty damn sure I don't understand the specifics surrounding the OP's question, or the question itself for that matter.

T

Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

T I think he just wants to plug up an iPod through the AUX connector, select that input on the head unit, and use the controls on the iPod itself for play, skip, etc. Like we do on the 13 down bikes. The head unit has no idea what exactly is plugged into it, it just routes the audio signal to its outputs.

The audio quality of those older iPods is excellent. They seem to have cut a few corners on some of the newer models. I have several older click wheel iPods and when I plug one into the AUX port and just drop it into one of the pouches behind my windshield it sounds excellent. Much better sound quality than my modern Samsung Galaxy phone.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:22 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
T I think he just wants to plug up an iPod through the AUX connector, select that input on the head unit, and use the controls on the iPod itself for play, skip, etc. Like we do on the 13 down bikes. The head unit has no idea what exactly is plugged into it, it just routes the audio signal to its outputs.

The audio quality of those older iPods is excellent. They seem to have cut a few corners on some of the newer models. I have several older click wheel iPods and when I plug one into the AUX port and just drop it into one of the pouches behind my windshield it sounds excellent. Much better sound quality than my modern Samsung Galaxy phone.
Thanks for the explanation brother!!!!

I'm totally picking up what ur laying down regarding iPod SQ. It's damn good when it's as intended like back in the day. The bigger prob is that will all these modern HUs, most of them are just interfaces for the plug ins thus the source quality is a massive detail!!

T

Old 05-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

In my mind it's hard to beat a good old 3.5mm input. For anyone who likes the old iPod simplicity but wants modern storage sizes this dude has a nice upgrade adapter:
iPOD and SDHC – SDXC cards

I like the older click wheel iPods because they can be used easily without fighting with iTunes. There is a free utility called Sharepod that allows you to freely copy music to and from the iPod without the need for synching and such.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:31 PM
RD335
Advanced

All great comments. Connecting the iPod to the USB port resulted in the HU saying it no longer supported the device. So an audio input would allow me to use the iPod with the iPod controls, as we all did in the stone age before bluetooth.

SO - I invested in a small device on Amazon. It plugs into the iPod and transmits bluetooth sound. It has great reviews. I tried it with my home theater and it worked very well. But when I tried to use it with the bike, the dang HU is "unable to pair" with the device!

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by RD335; 05-05-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:34 PM
RD335
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
On the 18 down bikes. HD sold a 3.5mm adapter that plugged into the factory harness. The dealer then used their DigiTech to enable the auxiliary port and it would show up in the media menu.

I know the 19's use the GTS head unit now, but the wiring looms appear to be the same. You may want to check with your dealer to see if this adapter works on the 19's.
Thanks! I'm going to look into this!

//RD

Quick Reply: BOOM Box iPod Classic Infotainment Q: